"Deadwood" premiers tonite on HBO

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:24 am
You did notice "ole lazy eye" had a new suit -- one of the people sitting at the dinner table ripped off the price tag and the last time I looked he was practically broke. Looks to me like Swearengen will be revealed as the contractor for Wild Bill's death. Then ole lazy eye jumps on what looks like his escape horse and the saddle is uncinched. Curiouser and curiouser.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:13 pm
Yup, I noticed he must've had a slick attorney too, or a Judge with a freshly greased palm.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 04:33 pm
I'm getting as anxious to see the next epidsode of this series as I am with "The Sopranos" and "Six Feet Under." Well, "Six Feet" is on hiatus so I've had to be satisfied with rewatching the repeats.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:01 am
Yikes, they let him go and Montana's out to get him.
Pretty faithful to historical stories.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 06:18 am
In the 1995 movie 'Wild Bill', where Hickok was played by Jeff Bridges, lazy eye was hanged after he murdered Bill.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 06:55 am
I don't think Westerns are my thing, with the exception of 'Unforgiven.' Still can't get into Deadwood.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 08:59 am
Seems the movies are the least faithful to history, except that lazy eye was eventually caught and hanged because he continued to brag about killing the Hickock as he wandered about the territory (he never was playing with a full deck). The real Jack McCall was let go because he claimed Hickok had killed his brother for the same apparant reason -- the miner's camp wanted to remain independent. Montana, of course, is a fictional character who is now out hunting down McCall so we'll see where this goes. Will they have him witness the eventual hanging?

cav -- the series is in the mold of "The Unforgiven" as it rings with the same authenticity. It is a series so one has to give in and spend some time with the characters as the story unrolls.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 05:14 pm
The last couple of episodes were kind of rugged, the way the poor young brother and sister were dealt with was shocking.

I thought the other Saloon was the rough one....think again!

Still the story of the little girl has to play out, especially since the New York lady has decided to stay. I don't know if her night in shining armor can save the lot of them.

Anyone still hanging on to the series???
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:50 pm
Yes, and it is really getting down to the nitty gritty with the accent on gritty. I love the atmosphere of the series -- it's like going through the Western Museum out here in California but with all the characters coming to life.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:19 pm
Brand X wrote:
Anyone still hanging on to the series???

It's part of the regular Sunday night rotation -- SFU, Sopranos, Deadwood.

I try not to miss any of the three c*cks*ckers.
0 Replies

alec

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 12:56 am
I also want to watch it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 08:25 am
HBO broadcasts matathon catch-up's of "Deadwood" and will repeat the entire series this summer. Welcome to A2K, alec, and by all means watch it. It is graphic -- Sunday's episode had me cringing. It's the Old West with all the warts and all.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 08:35 am
Calamity Jane is my favorite character...she rules!!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 08:46 am
Calamity certainly is a wonderful character. And do I detect some romance in Bullock's life coming up?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:28 am
About 20 years ago I visited Deadwood SD and saw Bill Hickock, Calamity Jane(Martha Jane Canary), and Bullock's graves. Hickock and Canary are together, near the front of the cemetery. Bullock's monument is on the side of a steep hill. I hiked to it and about died of exhaustion getting to it. Bullock must have made quite a fortune, because his monument is quite large and in a prominent place all by itself, compared to modest stones for Hickock & Canary.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:29 am
So, the poker hand Hickock was holding when he died was a pair of black aces and a pair of black eights, right? Does history record what his fifth card was?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 11:46 am
At first I kept hearing "Montana" which is what Hickock ni-- cknamed Bullock and didn't realize that he was also a real person. Thanks -- I think I will go on a Google search.

*Link with possible SPOILERS*
http://adamsmuseumandhouse.org/answers/sethbullock.html

There's a very good resemblance between Oliphant and Bullock except that the moustache has been scaled down!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 11:49 am
(A little artistic license with history here as Bullock came to "Deadwood" the day before Hickcock was murdered).

However, I don't remember him being married.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 12:45 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
(A little artistic license with history here as Bullock came to "Deadwood" the day before Hickcock was murdered).

However, I don't remember him being married.

He just mentined that to the widow in the last episode.... as they were standing in the innoculation line wasn't it? Or sitting at the table together in the next scene, one of the two.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 12:56 pm
I believe you are right -- I often watch the shows at their 11:00 PM repeats so I must be too sleepy to catch everything. I will enjoy watching the first season again in its intergral sequence. I vaguely remember the first episode saying something about sending off his wife and daughter before leaving for Deadwood but wasn't sure. I wasn't even sure he was a real character! The article in the link is fascinating but reading it may be a spoiler.
0 Replies