Usage of "in this way" and "thus"

KaJe

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 02:55 pm
How to use “in this way” or “thus” as “that is how” and differently, as “therefore”?

Here is a sentence: That is how this building was built. As far as I know, either I say “in this way this building was built” or “this building was built in this way,” both mean the same. So it doesn’t depends on the word order. However, I can imagine a situation like this: Then finally the building permit still arrived. In this way the building was built. I don’t know if it is correct – but here “in this way” is intended to mean something like “therefore.” How to make it clear where is the grammatical stress in a sentence? (If the previous sentence doesn’t help. Here, and also in the following, there are preceding sentences to be known what the next one should be mean.)

Just see: I.: Here, I wouldn’t like for “thus” and “in this way” to be emphasised.
The road was closed, thus we had to go on the other road. (It’s not an explanation why we went on the other road but it’s a simple mention of what happened then, though with some meaning of “consequently.”)
Or: Thus I think that the…
I had to choose between two buckets. One of them was holed, in this way it was easy to choose.

Now it’s a bit different sentence, but the function of “thus” is similar; it’s stressless and intended to mean “consequently”:
I forgot that he can’t keep a secret. I brought all those things to his knowledge, and thus to everybody’s knowledge.
I couldn’t go home, and thus, nor can I bring that book.

II.: As opposed to the above, in the following, “thus” and “in this way” should be emphasised, should be like “that is how,” i.e., “not in any other way but…” Of course, I could also use verb+ like this.” See:
A: -Let’s call the dog Max. B: -Alright, let’s call it thus.
I think thus. (I.e. “That is how I think.)
Then he talked in this way, “[…]”
He put it into the bag, he brought it in this way.
(Not in his hands or for e.g. pulling it on the ground.)
Or with changed word order:
Thus the text runs, “[…]”
He spent all his time with training, thus he was able to win the race.
(The intended meaning is: it was the continuous training which made him able to win the race.)
One day the car broke down and thus the whole story began.
His companion allured the guard, in this way he get into the building.

But now it’s a different kind of attempt by using “did”:
She put on a hat and thus did she go. (now “thus” intended to mean: in this appearance, wearing a hat while going.)

The bee lands also on another flower, thus pollinating it.
He took her on his back, so they thus together fell into the water.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 488 • Replies: 0
No top replies