to date

WBYeats

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 07:58 pm
I am reading a local paper, and it says:

-Her lover was killed. Will she follow in his footsteps? She didn't. To date, at least.

A friend of mine told me DIDN'T should be HAVEN'T, because TO DATE means up to now, but I'm not sure: if the writer's underlying meaning is 'she didn't, at least before the last time I HAD any news from her', then it stands to reason to use the past tense or past perfect. Do you agree?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 448 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 09:35 pm
@WBYeats,
Didn't modifies the phrase, "did she follow in his footprints", she didn't.
As far as your friends suggestion, HAvent wouldn't be correct at all whereas "HADNT" would be ok.
Didn't and Hadn't would both be acceptable
neologist

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 11:01 pm
@farmerman,
Spot on, oh bearded one. HASN'T would work as well.
WBYeats

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 11:54 pm
@neologist,
Thank you~

Are you referring to farmerman by 'bearded one'?
neologist

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 12:09 am
@WBYeats,
Farmer looks historic, doesn't he?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 02:56 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
I am reading a local paper, and it says:

-Her lover was killed. Will she follow in his footsteps? She didn't. To date, at least.

A friend of mine told me DIDN'T should be HAVEN'T, because TO DATE means up to now, but I'm not sure: if the writer's underlying meaning is 'she didn't, at least before the last time I HAD any news from her', then it stands to reason to use the past tense or past perfect. Do you agree?

It can't be HAVEN'T because it is 'she', which is third person singular.

-Her lover was killed. Will she follow in his footsteps? She HASN'T. To date, at least.

I disagree with Farmer and Neologist. Someone will have to convey this revelation to the academic, Farmerman.

HADN'T isn't possible to my mind because the time described is 'to date' which equals 'up to now' which is the province of the present perfect, "she hasn't followed in his footsteps up to the present time".

WBYeats

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 05:20 pm
@JTT,
Oh...I see...

Thank you all.
0 Replies