the latest photo

WBYeats

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 07:51 pm
In a newspaper, I read this:

-This is the latest photo that he took.

But I don't think it's correct English, because HE appears in the photo; how could he have taken that photo? Do you agree that it's abnormal English?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 466 • Replies: 10
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 09:29 pm
@WBYeats,
most SLR cameras have a time delay so you can set up a shot and then walk into the field of view before the shot is made. So its quite easy to take a shot in which you are included as one of the subjects.
WBYeats

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 09:31 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you~

But the fact is, the photo was taken a hundred years ago....
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 09:38 pm
@WBYeats,
well, that could have been accomplished with a slow spring trip timer (they had em then) or use an assistant. Steiglitz used assistants when he took pix of himself or himself and his main squeeze, and Steiglitz was considered the photographer.

Why didn't you mention the age of the pic when you asked the question? Your title said "latest photo", that speaks of contemporaneity , not history.
WBYeats

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 09:51 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you~

So if now I want to have a photo myself in it, and my friend takes it; later can I say I took the photo?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 02:48 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
-This is the latest photo that he took.

If it's a hundred years old, then 'latest' isn't possible, WB.

This is the last photo that he took.
WBYeats

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 01:41 am
@JTT,
Thank you~

Is it because that person must be dead?
contrex

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 02:22 am
@WBYeats,
WBYeats wrote:

Thank you~

Is it because that person must be dead?

We use 'latest' to mean 'most recent' when we are talking about an item in a current series which will definitely or possibly continue, or that has not definitely finished. The latest global warming data, the latest postcard my son sent from Thailand, the latest report from the earthquake zone, the latest sales figures from my restaurant. If a picture was taken a hundred years ago, the photographer is probably dead, and even if he isn't, the sequence has been interrupted too long for 'latest' to be used.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 02:25 am
@WBYeats,
WBYeats wrote:
But I don't think it's correct English, because HE appears in the photo; how could he have taken that photo? Do you agree that it's abnormal English?

I can appear in a photograph taken by me if I use a time delay or even a mirror; in any case this is not a question of English. If I operated the camera or caused it to be operated, e.g. by an assistant or a machine, I 'took' the picture.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 06:10 am
When I was at college we had a group photo taken by a camera that had to move in a circular way to get everyone in. That meant you could stand on one end, wait until the camera had taken your shot, then run round the back in time to appear on the other end.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 11:12 pm
It's interesting to listen to people talking about their experience!

Thank you~
0 Replies