Meeting in an Elevator, what's a good approach?

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:04 pm
On occasion, I would be in an elevator with a lady who works on a different floor from me. I want to start talking with her, but I have no idea what to say.

I'm not interested in her as a potential date. I want to know her as an acquiantance (maybe someone who can hook me up with someone in the future).

Anyhow, what can I say to start up a conversation with her? Please give me examples of what to say, not suggestions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 947 • Replies: 10
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:09 pm
I would say, "I want to start talking with you, but I have no idea what to say. I'm not interested in you as a potential date. I want to know you as an acquiantance (maybe someone who can hook me up with someone in the future)."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:15 pm
I did something recently.

A dudette who'd borderline flirted with me in the elevators for months was in the elevator alone with me.

I covered my nose and feigned revolt at a non-existent stench.

This made her break the ice with a "I didn't..."

Tee hee
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:18 pm
Elevators are like urinals.

You're supposed to face front and mind your own business. The reason for this, of course, is that if you turn and talk to the guy next to you you might whiz on his foot.

Which can be really embarrassing.

In an elevator.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:22 pm
Try "Hello".

No matter what season there is always weather. Inconvenient weather offers more conversational possibilities.

Try a sincere compliment.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:27 pm
Casually put your arm around her, and keep looking forward like it's something you do all the time. When she gives you a weird look, show genuine concern, and say, "Is something wrong, Dear?"
0 Replies

Blackie Chan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 07:53 pm
SCoates wrote:
I would say, "I want to start talking with you, but I have no idea what to say. I'm not interested in you as a potential date. I want to know you as an acquiantance (maybe someone who can hook me up with someone in the future)."

I can definitely see myself saying 'Hey *pause, for her to make eye contact* I want to start talking with you, but I have no idea what to say'. I'm known for being direct. Actually, I could use that line almost anywhere. I wonder what the reaction to that would be.

Thanks SCoates.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:05 pm
I dunno, just say Hi and smile...
0 Replies

Blackie Chan

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:32 am
ossobuco wrote:
I dunno, just say Hi and smile...

If the person isn't friendly or didn't want to talk, that might lead to an awkward situation.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:55 am
I think you are thinking too much...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:59 am
"Your floor or mine?"
0 Replies