The gates

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 07:59 pm

What are these 'gates' called in English countries? I'm not sure whether there're equivalents in English countries, but it's function is like this: crossing these 'gates' will require swiping Octopus cards to pay the fare; after taking the train, the passenger will have to swipe his card again to cross the 'gates' once more.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 722 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 10:58 am
This is very local: each city may have its own method of referring to these. I suspect the most common term is "turnstiles" or "ticket turnstiles," even in jurisdictions (as shown in the photograph) where nothing actually turns.
Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 11:06 am
Yeah. I call them and heard others call them turnstiles (simply because that's what their previous renditions were called) though these are modern (nonturnstile shaped) updated versions.
0 Replies
Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 06:03 pm
Thanks all.

I'd forgotten the term turnstile. Turnstiles are common here, but will you find it strange if I call them GATES?
Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 10:49 pm
I had forgotten the term turnstiles too.

Maybe subway gates but I've never been a big city person.
0 Replies
Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 11:58 pm
Gates, I think.

Maybe loosely, "barrier".

example: I used my ticket to get through the barrier. (more correctly, the gate in the barrier).

I'd only use the term "turnstile" for a turning type of gate. We use those at football (soccer) grounds.
0 Replies

Related Topics

deal - Question by WBYeats
Drs. = female doctor? - Question by oristarA
Let pupils abandon spelling rules, says academic - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Please, I need help. - Question by imsak
Is this sentence grammatically correct? - Question by Sydney-Strock
"come from" - Question by mcook
  1. Forums
  2. » The gates
Copyright © 2023 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.09 seconds on 12/09/2023 at 05:22:15