Terrorist attack in London

JTT

Sun 26 May, 2013 11:04 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
..., but you ran away from this article.

What on earth are you talking about, Izzy? I've never seen that article before in my life.
izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2013 11:06 am
@JTT,
Of course not, you read the Guardian, but only come across articles about America.

I prefer to read the whole paper, it gives a more panoramic view.
izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2013 11:09 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
A lot of good you lot have done with your protesting. Blair and all the other UK war criminals are free, enjoying life while Iraqis, Afghans, Iranians, ... remain terrorized and subject to the after effects of the immense brutality heaped on them by the UK/US/... .

A lot more good than you've done with your constant attacks, you've alienated people who could help, and strengthened the resolve of those who support American Imperialism.
Moment-in-Time

Sun 26 May, 2013 11:11 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

JTT wrote:

And of course it has nothing to do with the UK's killing innocents around the world, right, Izzy?

Lots of people protest against the UK's foreign policy without resorting to violence. We're out of Iraq now and will be out of Afghanistan soon, but I doubt that means the threat will go away once we're out of there.

One cause of US's problem with Islamic extremists stems from our presence in the Middle East. Bin Ladin forced the US to leave Saudia Arabia, and now the US has a massive military force in Kuwait to keep an eye on Iran. There is a large military base in Qatar. There are two military bases in Bahrain, a sheikdom in the Persian Gulf, consisting of a group of islands: formerly a British protectorate.....our presence is resented by many Arabs in the middle east. The long unresolved Israeli-Palestinian conflict may play a crucial role in how the US is viewed among many in the Arab/Muslim world. The illegal invasion into Iraq was the topping on the cake and has exasperated the situation immensely, creating many refugees, the killing of so many innocents. The Arab world blames the West and it's not difficult to understand why with the West preoccupied with the Middle East's natural wealth, oil.
JTT

Sun 26 May, 2013 11:19 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Of course not, you read the Guardian, but only come across articles about America.

I don't "read" the Guardian. I read lots of things. Why do you find it surprising that I should come across articles about America? The issue is about America. Who else led the illegal invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan? Who else has been brutalizing the citizens of the ME for over half a century? Who else has been supporting dictators in the ME?

Yes, the UK has been part of this brutality.

You avoided both the Greenwald and the Glenton article. Why? It goes to the very issue of what is happening, why these things are happening.

Quote:
I prefer to read the whole paper, it gives a more panoramic view.

Odd, your panoramic view seems to have been blinkered.

You still are avoiding the Israel/Palestinian parallel.
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 26 May, 2013 11:24 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
One cause of US's problem with Islamic extremists stems from our presence in the Middle East.

You've got that completely backwards, MIT.

The MAJOR cause of Middle Easterners' problem with US extremists stems from the US and UK's presence in the Middle East.

Who do you think those ME countries belong to?
JTT

Sun 26 May, 2013 11:35 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
A lot more good than you've done with your constant attacks,

What prison did you say Blair and the other UK war criminals are in?

Quote:
you've alienated people who could help,

I've never seen you waffle so, Izzy.

If you haven't noticed by now, the truth alienates people. I hate to tell you this but Oralloy, Advocate and BillRM won't be sending you birthday cards this year.

Quote:
and strengthened the resolve of those who support American Imperialism.

What possible chance could there be of reaching such a, I recoil from saying, 'human being'?

You're still avoiding the Israel/Palestinian question. And you're also avoiding the Greenwald/Glenton issue. Did you even read those two articles? Those issue are central to helping to solve this problem. It is not a question of Islamic extremists. That just a great meme to encourage folks to stop thinking and rally around their own forms of terrorist activity.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 26 May, 2013 12:00 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
The Arab world blames the West

An yet they was not willing to do anything at all themselves to deal with the ongoing danger that Iraq happen to had been under the rule of Saddam Husein to the whole region.

Nor would the rulers of the region be happy to see American troops leaving the region now for that matter and I strongly question if the people of those nations would be happy at the results of the US leaving them to the mercy of the rulers of Iran.
JTT

Sun 26 May, 2013 12:10 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
A lot more good than you've done with your constant attacks, you've alienated people who could help,

You don't recognize that this is just a phony excuse to avoid facing the truth, Izzy?

You're probably not going to like this, but you're doing that same thing right now. Greenwald was smack on, Glenton too.
JTT

Sun 26 May, 2013 12:24 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
An yet they was not willing to do anything at all themselves to deal with the ongoing danger that Iraq happen to had been under the rule of Saddam Husein to the whole region.

Bill, as is usual, you don't have the foggiest notion. Your "mind", such as it is, is so teeming full of cancerous US propaganda that it resembles a maggot family reunion.

Quote:
US Caused More Deaths in Iraq Than Saddam, Says Anti-War Tribunal
ISTANBUL - The World Tribunal on Iraq (WTI), a grouping of NGOs, intellectuals and writers opposed to the war in Iraq, on Friday accused the United States of causing more deaths in Iraq than ousted president Saddam Hussein.

"With two wars and 13 years of criminal sanctions, the United States have been responsible for more deaths in Iraq than Saddam Hussein," Larry Everest, a journalist, told hundreds of anti-war activists gathered in Istanbul.

Founded in 2003, the WTI is modelled on the 1960s Russell Tribunal, created by the British philosopher Bertrand Russell to denounce the war in Vietnam. It has held about 20 sessions so far in different locations around the world.

A symbolic verdict was to be handed down on Monday by the 14 "jurors of conscience" -- including the militant Indian novelist Arundhati Roy, winner of the 1997 Booker Prize for "The God of Small Things."

The tribunal has for the past two years been gathering what it says is evidence that the war launched in March 2003 to oust Saddam was illegal, and it has also been gathering evidence of exactions allegedly committed by coalition troops.

Its verdict on Monday after its final session is expected to condemn both the United States and Britain.

Roy told the gathering here: ""The evidence collated in this tribunal should ... be used by the International Criminal Court -- whose jurisdiction the United States does not recognize -- to try as war criminals George Bush, Tony Blair, John Howard, Silvio Berlusconi, and all those government officials, army generals, and corporate CEOs who participated in this war and now benefit from it."

She added that the tribunal was "an act of resistance," "a defense mounted against one of the most cowardly wars ever fought in history."

Hans von Sponeck, former director of the UN's so-called oil-for-food programme for Iraq, told the Istanbul gathering that the humanitarian programme "was totally irrelevant."

Von Sponeck ran the programme until 2000 when he resigned because he said it failed to meet the humanitarian needs of the Iraqi people.

The oil-for-food programme ran from 1996 to 2003. It allowed Baghdad to sell oil in exchange for humanitarian goods the country lacked due to international sanctions imposed in 1990 after Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Critics said the sanctions led to the deaths of tens of thousands of children and a drastic decline in living standards for almost the entire Iraqi population.

The Iraqi government under Saddam swindled millions of dollars from the 64-billion-dollar scheme, and the scandal has become a huge embarrassment for the United Nations.

"The UN handling of Iraq will be listed as a massive failure," von Sponeck said. "We didn't speak out despite knowing what the economic sanctions had created as a human disaster."

He singled out the United States and British governments for allegedly blocking projects that would, he said, have allowed more people to survive.

Some 200 non-governmental organsiations -- including the environmentalist group Greenpeace, the anti-globalization ATTAC and Vietnam Veterans Against the War -- as well as a number of prominent intellectuals such as US linguist Noam Chomsky and Egyptian sociologist Samir Amin are involved in the WTI.

https://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/09/19/3938

Quote:

Iraqis say brutality of US regime worse than Saddam Hussein

*** The people in Iraq say the US regime is worse than Saddam Hussein ever was. Describing the horrors of torture inflicted with glee by American personnel, an Iraqi who was tortured by the deposed regime said "Saddam didn't do this to us." In past two years The US and UK have killed more Iraqi civilians, mainly women and children., than died during 26 years of bloody war and insurgency under Saddam Hussein. American and British politicians can claim whatever they like, but the facts and figures speak for themselves, and the only verdict that matters is the opinion of the Iraqi people. ***

FORT HOOD, Texas (Reuters) - A former inmate at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison forced by U.S. guards to masturbate in public and piled onto a pyramid of naked men said Tuesday even Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein did not do such things.

The inmate testified at the court martial of reservist soldier Charles Graner, accused ringleader of guards who engaged in the abuse, which prompted outrage when pictures of the sexual humiliation were published around the world.

"I couldn't believe in the beginning that this could happen, but I wished I could kill myself because no one was there to stop it," Hussein Mutar, who was sent to Abu Ghraib accused of car theft, said in videotaped testimony.

"They were torturing us as though it was theater for them," he said, as the prosecution wound up its case against Graner on assault, dereliction of duty and other charges that could bring him up to 17 1/2 years in prison.

An obviously ill-at ease Mutar added: "I was extremely emotional because (even) Saddam didn't do this to us."

0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2013 12:55 pm
@JTT,
The only one who is avoiding the truth is you. You're not interested in justice or human rights, you just want to attack America & its allies. That would be fine in itself, but you make it personal by attacking individuals who can have little, if any impact, on how their government operates.

You allow the reactionary forces to claim that opposition to American Imperialism is motivated not by any desire for justice, but anti-Americanism pure and simple.

You call others cowards for putting you on ignore because you just insult them, but you're too cowardly to own up to your own nationality, or discuss your own country's crimes.

Maybe you're working for someone like Putin, or Al Khamenei, or more likely, Dick Cheney, because you've done a lot to advance the cause of American Imperialism.
JTT

Sun 26 May, 2013 01:37 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The only one who is avoiding the truth is you.

Come on, Izzy, please be serious. I've pointed up at least three truths that you are falling all over yourself trying to avoid.

Quote:
You're not interested in justice or human rights, you just want to attack America & its allies.

Pure piffle, Iz. I would love it if there wasn't any reason to point out US & UK war crimes/terrorism. But again, why are you engaged on Israel, but not on the US and the UK. Israel is a piker compared to those two. Yes, for the thousandth time there are other equally as culpable as the US and UK.

Quote:
That would be fine in itself, but you make it personal by attacking individuals who can have little, if any impact, on how their government operates.

If it's fine in itself then what are you complaining about? German citizens were raked over the coals for their acquiescence. It's no different here.

Quote:
You call others cowards for putting you on ignore because you just insult them,

No, I call them cowards because they use me as a lame excuse to avoid facing uncomfortable truths, just as you are doing here.

Quote:
but you're too cowardly to own up to your own nationality, or discuss your own country's crimes.

That's not cowardly, that's an OPTION we're given here at A2K that I chose to take. I don't know your name, nor do I know the names of any A2Kers that I can think of. Are they cowards too?

I heartily encourage everyone to discuss the crimes of all the countries that took part in the illegal invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan. If it happens to include my country, I won't shirk the truth just because it's my country.

But you're still avoiding the Israel issue and the Greenwald/Glenton issue. The latter is certainly the more important of the two. Why are you so reluctant to discuss Greenwald/Glenton? Do you think those issues they've raised are not important?

JTT

Sun 26 May, 2013 01:44 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Despite what some simple minded people like to think, the motivation for this is never straight forward.

Yet you sit silent, Izzy, while so many, including your idiot PM, Cameron, not to mention Oralloy and Glitterbag, advance these ludicrous notions about why Woolwich happened.

Are you searching for some particularly troubling event in these two young men's pasts, so we can avoid having to discuss anything too dissonating to our gentle readers?
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Sun 26 May, 2013 01:53 pm
@JTT,
Quote:

The MAJOR cause of Middle Easterners' problem with US extremists stems from the US and UK's presence in the Middle East.

Who do you think those ME countries belong to?

I hear you, JTT. The West is preoccupied with the natural wealth of the Arabs states and has taken up a presence there....in somebody's else' land. (Hey, did you ever see the movie: "Three Days of the Condor" Starring Robert Redford and Faye Dunaway? That movie details[at the end] exactly the US' desperate need in the oil rich countries of the Middle East.)

One of the most enduring thorns within the Arabs/Muslims communities is the US one-sided support for Israel and the Zionist nation's suppression of the Palestinians. The US has allowed Israel to be a nuclear state within the midst of these Arab countries with sophisticated weapons so the tiny Israeli nation is master of all she surveys. This is very much resented by Israel's neighbors. The US has indeed supported many dictators in the middle east. We supported the Shah of Iran before the 1979 Iranian revolution which sent the Shah and his family fleeing. The US was a supporter of Saddam Hussein during the time the Iraqi dictator used nerve gas on his own people, the Kurds, and some Iranians. The US' support of little dictators seems endless. The drones are another current hot spot causing psychological damage to many in the area where targeted.
contrex

Sun 26 May, 2013 02:01 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:
One of the most enduring thorns within the Arabs/Muslims communities is the US one-sided support for Israel and the Zionist nation's suppression of the Palestinians. The US has allowed Israel to be a nuclear state within the midst of these Arab countries with sophisticated weapons so the tiny Israeli nation is master of all she surveys.

Absolutely.

JTT

Sun 26 May, 2013 02:04 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
I hear you, JTT.

It was just such a shock to hear,

"One cause of US's problem with Islamic extremists stems from our presence in the Middle East."

It sounded like you were suggesting that these Islamists who are fighting to rid their lands of invading hordes are the problem.

Quote:
One of the most enduring thorns within the Arabs/Muslims communities is the US one-sided support for Israel and the Zionist nation's suppression of the Palestinians. The US has allowed Israel to be a nuclear state within the midst of these Arab countries with sophisticated weapons so the tiny Israeli nation is master of all she surveys. This is very much resented by Israel's neighbors. The US has indeed supported many dictators in the middle east. We supported the Shah of Iran before the 1979 Iranian revolution which sent the Shah and his family fleeing. The US was a supporter of Saddam Hussein during the time the Iraqi dictator used nerve gas on his own people, the Kurds, and some Iranians. The US' support of little dictators seems endless. The drones are another current hot spot causing psychological damage to many in the area where targeted.

After all this and more, MIT, do you feel it's accurate to describe the western nations position in the ME as "our presence"?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2013 02:41 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Why are you so reluctant to discuss Greenwald/Glenton? Do you think those issues they've raised are not important?

I pretty much agree with the article. I thought my views were fairly well known, I wasn't avoiding anything. are you happy now I've given it my endorsement?
Why are you so uncritical of Putin's attack on civil society? Do you agree with the commentator, or do you think Putin's doing the right thing?
izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2013 02:47 pm
@izzythepush,
Btw, do you have to call people pikers? It sounds too much like pikeys to me, which has loads of racist overtones.

Not accusing you of anything, just saying that's all.
Setanta

Sun 26 May, 2013 03:08 pm
Piker originally meant a gambler who only makes small bets. It has come to mean someone who is stingy or cheap. In the United States, there are no racist undertones or overtones to it all.
izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2013 03:17 pm
@Setanta,
I wasn't saying it was. It does sound like pikey though, and every time I see it, it makes me grit my teeth.