Has it been expressed properly?

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:45 pm
Revise it:

Regarding true democracy, I think Mr. Lien Chan has had a proper expression --
Although the 320 election has been ended in formality, but it has also labeled Taiwan's democratic system with a big question mark. We are neither struggling for any personal fame, nor victory of any party; we are pursuing truth, fairness and justice. A society devoting itself to fair election and justice is the basic value of democracy. An unfair election should be null and void and people will never give in.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 594 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Eos

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 02:55 pm
First, a couple of questions:
what exactly do you mean by "has been ended in formality"?
and what about "... and people will never give in"? never give in to what?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:15 am
Hi Eos,

Please read this article you might get what the two meant:

500,000 Taiwanese protest Crowd capital after tight election

Also take a reference from the following:

Hundreds protest vote certification

TAIPEI - Hundreds of protesters stormed the Central Election Commission headquarters Friday after it certified the results of Taiwan's disputed presidential election - violence that rival China hinted might provide a reason to take control of the island.

About 2,000 protesters scuffled with riot police guarding the building, broke windows and tossed eggs after the commission officially proclaimed that President Chen Shui-bian won Saturday's election over opposition leader Lien Chan.

Feuding political parties have made little progress deciding how to administer a quick recount of the controversial vote, and some opposition lawmakers were inciting unruly, violent mobs.

Although Friday's certification was just a formality and the vote can still be challenged, many protesters couldn't stand the thought of Chen's victory being formally certified.
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 07:43 pm
I'm afraid I'm still not sure what you meant by parts of this - so here are two rewrites - use either one, or mix and match adjustments.

Regarding true democracy, I think Mr. Lien Chan put it best --
"Although the 320 election has been officially ended, it has raised doubts about Taiwan's democratic system. We are neither struggling for any personal fame, nor the victory of any party; we are pursuing truth, fairness and justice. A society devoting itself to fair election and just governance is the foundation of democracy. An unfair election should be deemed null and void, and the Taiwanese will not tolerate those who would thwart attempts to bring the election to a fair and democratic resolution.

Regarding true democracy, I think Mr. Lien Chan has had a proper hearing --
The 320 election has ended in a ruling that is little more than a formality, and it has brought Taiwan's democratic system into serious question. We are neither struggling for any personal fame, nor the victory of any party; we are pursuing truth, fairness and justice. A society devoting itself to justice and the fair election of its representatives is the soul and center of democracy. An unfair election should be deemed null and void and the people of Taiwan will accept no less.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:06 pm
Thanks Eos.

(1) In my mind I didn't think he has put it BEST, he just put it properly. That is why I used "has had a proper expression", not "put it best".

(2) The election hasn't in fact been OFFICIALLY ended, because the opposition party or the rival party led by Lien Chan has asked to recount, so at the present we cannot be sure who is the real president-elect.
That is why I used "ended in formality" -- just as New York Times said "Although Friday's certification was just a formality".

But your rewriting like "A society devoting itself to fair election and just governance is the foundation of democracy. An unfair election should be deemed null and void, and the Taiwanese will not tolerate those who would thwart attempts to bring the election to a fair and democratic resolution" was exact and fine.
0 Replies