Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 08:00 am
Ive seen a demo of these magnetic induction hot plates that are portable cooking tops that have amazing temperature accuracy, the cooktop remains cool (except that amount of heat cunducted back to the cooktop by conduction from the iron based cookware). The cooktops are "Instant on" and are fairly efficient. I want to get some for use in the RV (they require fairly low ampreage for normal cooking temps). Even frying seems to be better controlled ince the temps of the oil are maintained at +/- 5 degrees of that selected (unlike gas or resistance electric where oil temps can go really high and the oil burns.
Does anyone have personal experience with these things and , if o, what are your cautions or insights from use.
Induction ranges have been available to restaurants for ages but the miniaturizing of the things for portability is fairly recent

rosborne979

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 08:20 am
@farmerman,
Sounds like magic to me. I would avoid it. Unless of course, you're willing to sacrifice a chicken...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 08:38 am
@farmerman,
I'm just reading along since I've been looking at them too.

I know I don't want a radiant heat cooktop so we'll either go with induction or run a gas line. Induction sounds like it might be an easier transition but I can't make up my mind.
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 01:13 pm
@boomerang,
ya cant have an oven just a cooktop and you MUST use only iron based cookware. Copper wont work and neither does aluminium.

The feature I liked best was the exacting temp controls and the INSTANT TEMP in the pan.

Ros--not magic cause restaurants have used em for a while

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 01:28 pm
Stainless will work on them too.

The last time I was in the restaurant supply buying pans I noticed that the newer pans (new to me, anyway) had different bottoms -- even if the inside of the pan bottom is curved the outside bottom is flat so that all the pan surface comes in contact the the cooktop surface.

I heard from one person who told me that the salesman told them they couldn't use cast iron on an induction cooktop -- something about it scratching the surface. That doesn't make any sense to me but I'll definitely be asking about it when I get to the shopping stage because if I can't use my cast iron on it I don't want it.

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 01:48 pm
@boomerang,
yeh, that doesnt sound sensible. Cast Irons are kinda scratchy though. I know in the TV ads, they sell you 2 cooktops and hand out a bunch of different pans. The stainless (waterless) cook pans we have , have an aluminum core for even heat distribution but I understand that these will work too.
Gotta watch cause some stainless steels are only paramagnetic, not full magnetic
DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 02:42 pm
@farmerman,
I'd check out sous vide cooking....
Setanta

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 02:58 pm
I don't know where you come up with all this old weirdo sh*t . . .

mutter . . .

grumble, grumble . . .

mutter . . .

It is fascinatin' though, ain't it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 03:03 pm
Here's an episode of "Cooking with Jack" that reviews these jokers.

This video is just over ten minutes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 03:31 pm
I just thought of something--this guy is panning the cooker, but Boomer mentioned that the skillets at the restaurant supply house had perfectly flat bottom surfaces. The skillet he used when the eggs didn't cook properly did not have a perfectly flat bottom, it curved upward at the outside edges. I don't know if that accounts for the eggs not cooking around the outside edge or not.
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 05:23 pm
@Setanta,
Theyve been using induction cook stoves in restaurnts for a long time.
His presentation went from
1Hey it boils water faster than gs

2The plate doesnt help with non magnetic cookware

3It didnt do eggs at the temp set (when wedo eggs we always get the pan hot first why didnt he?)

hen he "pans" the entire concept
Fat Jack had a bug upiz ass against induction.
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 05:24 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I'd check out sous vide cooking

how bout just a hint
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 06:11 pm
@farmerman,
only the part of the conductive pan that actually TOUCHES the plate is heated. SO, as was said by Set, an omelette fried on a small sauce pan or crepe pan wont fry evenly, course you could keep stirring it and make scrambly eggs.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 08:06 pm
@farmerman,
I'm a cooking twit, oh wait, lemon curd! but I stop here.

I'll listen in, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 08:36 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

3It didnt do eggs at the temp set (when wedo eggs we always get the pan hot first why didnt he?)

probably because it's supposed to have that instant temp that you like the idea of

farmerman wrote:

The feature I liked best was the exacting temp controls and the INSTANT TEMP in the pan.

I suspect it's going to take something much better than a $160 version to be any good.

For free, I'll tell you to stay away from Sub-Zero/Wolf. Miele has some good ones in the $2500 range.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 08:37 pm
@farmerman,
The professional Vollrath induction cooktops are $4000+. If it's worth having a trendy kitchen, awesome.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 08:39 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Induction ranges have been available to restaurants for ages but the miniaturizing of the things for portability is fairly recent

the quality seems to shrink with the price
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 10:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Im really notinterested in a range. Im interested in a portable cooktop that we can use with the RV at a campsite. (The cooktop units operate with low Watt hour demands).
Having to modify the pans to fit the cooktop is a small inconvenience and Im sure that the ranges have the same requirements.

The "Jack" tape that set posted ws not a fair test. HE showed how the cooktop did boil water twice as quickly, then, when he placed the mag sheet on top in order to make it an inductive surface (Which merely transfers heat to a non ferrous pan by CONDUCTION), we obviously know that we will lose efficiency as we go from one energy transfer to another (However, thats erzats ).
Then he got incensed at how eggs didnt become an omelette because he used a pan with a sloping edge. (Yet he didnt think about how the contact of the egg snot with theheat was critical in this kind of cooking).
He was , in effect, criticizing a microwave oven for not browning.
I think these units have thir niche (even the 160$ ones, and we will , of course use the pans they send off as freebies( as long as we pay separate postage and handling)) To which I say, OY.

We have two Miele vacs and we love em, Ill look and see whether I can find a Miele induction cooker.

The concept and the physics is all the same and the controling factor is the Alternating Current being sent by the power company being able to set up eddy currents on an electromagnet.

ALL the portable units Ive been able to find range from about 95$ (US) to 175$(US). All the ranges are in the thousands of dollars (But you get 6 burners plus a convection electric oven in a beautiful box of 316 stainless

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 01:49 pm
@farmerman,
The Vollrath cooktops are $4000+
I didn't look up any ranges.

In any case, I think this is (for the most part) another you get what you pay for item.

(and stay away from Sub-Zero)
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 04:59 pm
@ehBeth,
I just looked up the Volrath "cooktops". The single unit home style were 250$ and a heavier wired for 400$ . The commercial one was 1599$ (but that was wired at 240 or 440 Volts), so the electrila hookeup would be a bother. I can see the higher boltage (.ower reistance) units for retaurnts cauae those things would probably be on all day.

Ive been looking for consuker reports on induction cooktops but all theyve reviewed so far is an entire induction RANGE.