boomerang

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 05:27 pm
@farmerman,
I have a Consumer Reports from July 2012 that rates induction cooktops.

Here's the ratings from then:

1. Kenmore 43820
2. Ge Profile PHP9000M (BB)
3. Kenmore 43800
4. Bosch NIT5065UC
5. Electrolux Icon E301c75 (SS)
6. Frigidaire Professional FPCC3085K(S)* (CR's best buy)
7. Kitchenaide KICU500XB
8. Whirlpool GCI3061XB (CR's best buy)
9. LG LCE30845
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 05:31 pm
@boomerang,
what price range were they in ? and did CR do a "pro's and Con's" of these [porta cooltops?

I usually go with CR's findings cause rgey usually test stuff fairly.
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 05:35 pm
@boomerang,
I looked up the "best buy" and these werent the type I was looking for. Im interested in buying a one burner cooktop for use ourside of an RV or a house for summertime cooking and picnics. Chances are Id be doing some kind of meat on a grille and the cooktop would be used to cook veggies .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 08:08 pm
@farmerman,
No, they didn't really discuss prices -- just a mention that you'd pay around $1,500 for a 30 inch cooktop. I'm guessing that would be 4 burners.

I just looked up single burner inductions at the restaurant supply and they're priced between $200 and $500. Most restaurant supplies sell used equipment as well. I imagine that single burner restaurant equipment is used for buffet lines and runs off of regular electrical wall supply (pardon my fancy technical language) but I could be wrong.
farmerman

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 02:25 pm
@boomerang,
bought one for 99 bucks and got a second one and some square bottom pans and a steamer pot with a glass top (Got it on Home Shopping or History Channel t night---one a them).
It works like a champ. That guy in the video had a bug up his ass against the things because it says clearly that there are certain spot heat foods like omelettes that must be made in the correct induction cookware.. I made severl "fold over " omelettes with veggies, bleu cheese and spring onion strips and meatsies in the center. POIFECT!

Later made some crepes to fold in some strawberry and sauce POIFECT
boomerang

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 04:58 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks for the testimonial! I'll definitely be taking a closer look when we start getting serious about the kitchen.

Did it come with any warnings about using it with cast iron cookware?
farmerman

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 06:05 pm
@boomerang,
remember, what I got is 2 portable 120 v cooktops (see pic below). You are thinking more of a mag induction range top with 4 or more "Burners". Those are definitely more donero and they are 240 volts.

Anything that will attract a magnet will work on mag cookware except copper bottom, aluminum and "All Clad"
Even enamel ironware like Prizer or the blue stuff works fine. Cast iron is a goody its highly magnetic.

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/simgad/2636321586706534361
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 12:36 pm
@farmerman,
Well, we got 2 of the Nuwve cooker nd Ive got nothing but good news from using them. They are EXACT in their temp control, so when one fries, the oil is kept at a precise temperature, unlike any other mode which ,in order to maintain a constant temp, will "JACK UP" the temperature every so often. SO the result is oil that quickly browns and gets dark . The Nuwave allows us to save and reuse oil. All we have to do is filter it through a sieve. (Final sieving is accomplished by putting a piece of paper towel in the sieve bed)

One needs to adjut ones cooking atyle though. we hadda get some steep sided fry pans because the induction "hlo" is quite limited. If you use , say, a WOK, it will only have a tiny hot spot at the bottom and food may go uncooked if you put in a whole bunch. A strait sided skillet is great for eggs and such. (If you buy it from Home SHopping Network as we did, they send you some beginners cookware but youre still gonna need a French style skillet with strait sides.

It worked on the boat, in the apartment (We didn't have an RV this year, instead we rented a little house in Lubec for much cheaper than schlepping nd unschlepping and maintaining the rig from Home to Eastport).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 12:42 pm
Thanks for the update farmerman.

I'm still no closer to my new kitchen but I think I'd like one of those for camping and cookouts. It's good to know they work like they're supposed to.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 12:49 pm
@boomerang,
they clean up real good too. (One of em fell overboard and I hadda jump in and get it. It was in about 15 feet of subzero water in a starfish and urchin bed. It cleaned us an is working fine. I don't think that it would have worked if the damn thing was in for several hours. Salt water and electricity are unfriendly companions
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 01:05 pm
@farmerman,
That's a wonderful post, farmer. Starfish and urchin bed.... love it.

Talk about a testimonial result from something fallen overboard.

(welcome back, by the way)
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 05:58 pm
@ossobuco,
well, the deck rail was really wide, we were parked in the marina, we had some friends aboard and the tables were full,and I wanted to make some omelettes.

Dumm idea. Fortunately this boat has some really high end GFI's
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:13 pm
You with the anagrams - what is you idea of gfi?
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) is a system. that is located at the wallsocket that continuously monitors voltage flowing from "hot" to neutral. If theres a slightest variation beyond the "safe zone" set into the GFI, it trips the circuit right at the plug, so no one gets fried waiting for a fuse to blow.
GFIs are in your house (usually in kitchens and bathrooms but also in areas of workshops or entertainment centers ) and they look like normal wall sockets excepting that they have thwese two little buttons to set up the gfi and also to release it.
You have em bbut just didn't know what they were called. Ill get a picture of one, don't go way.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:51 pm
@farmerman,
Im back. Heres a better explanation about GFI's

http://www.inspectny.com/ft_gfci_outlets.htm
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 07:20 pm
@farmerman,
You dived down into urchin infested subzero water to rescue this thing?

Who are you? Chuck Norris?

I'm sold.

You should do a commercial for these burners.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 08:19 pm
@farmerman,
Farmer, I need an electrician.

I know about gfis, I am not goofy. Did you not think I understood them?

I f.k cannot afford an electrician and, this place is wired funky. I learned that after I bought it. **** the inspector.

0 Replies