The Long Expected Next Phase In DUI Law Is HERE

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 05:23 pm
too bad we still dont have a poll feature back:

A)what is the upper BAC limit for responsible driving?

B)at what bac should driving with alcohol become a criminal matter

my answers:

A) .06

B) .09

from the sound of it we have a bunch of 0.00 extremists in this thread. I must say that in real life I know very few who claim this view.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 07:46 pm
What you're asking us, hawk, is how much we're willing to endanger ourselves, for absolutely no gain on our part, for your selfish pleasure. My answer is: not at all.

Would you be willing to let me play Russian Roulette with YOUR head as the target, when you get absolutely nothing if the gun doesn't go off except the chance to play the game again? That's what you're trying to justify to us.

Sorry> I've barely dodged the bullet twice with drunken drivers pulling the trigger (see previous posts). The gun went off both times, figuratively speaking. Fortunately they were poor shots. I'm not willing to go for a third try. If you drink, don't drive. If you have ONE drink, don't drive. If you sell booze, hire a fleet of desgnated drivers and limos to take everyone of the sots you sell to home. Otherwise, I hope you get sued out of business and soon.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 07:57 pm
@MontereyJack,
MJ

A) 0.00
B) 0.00

Next!
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 01:58 am
@hawkeye10,
http://www.motorists.org/Images/dui/BACdrivers.gif

tell me again how me going out and enjoying a few drinks and driving home is a huge threat to the collective
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 07:32 am
How to lie with statistics, eh, hawk? Aggregate up all those "who go out and have a few drinks, i.e. ALL those whose judgment and driving ability is voluntarily impaired, instead of separating it out by a series of arbitrary levels, and it comes to around 38% of total car fatalities. 38% of total fatalities pootentially avoidable becuase those drivers didn't give a **** about anybody else on the road. Yes, hawk, you ARE a "threat to the collective".
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 08:15 am
@hawkeye10,
That statistic is actually pretty damning....

38% of the fatal crashes have drivers impaired by alcohol. Somehow I doubt that 38% of trips are undertaken by people who have been drinking, though, so it's obvious that driving after even one drink is dangerous.
Setanta

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 08:53 am
@DrewDad,
In Ontario, according to their radio advertising, when the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) run their holiday road blocks, one in twenty drivers is impaired. That's five percent--the 38% statistic is even more chilling. In Ontario, drivers under the age of 21 must maintain a 0% BAC, or they can lose their license on the spot, for 30 days. For everyone else, it's 0.05--have one beer you're under; have two, and you're over.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 09:13 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

That statistic is actually pretty damning....

38% of the fatal crashes have drivers impaired by alcohol. Somehow I doubt that 38% of trips are undertaken by people who have been drinking, though, so it's obvious that driving after even one drink is dangerous.

I see why MADD does not give a **** about .05...the major problem is .14 and above which is already illegal. we dont need tougher laws, we need people to follow the laws we already have.
firefly

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 09:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
we dont need tougher laws, we need people to follow the laws we already have

Do you follow the laws we already have?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 09:54 am
@firefly,
most of them...re dui i long ago used to drive very drunk (mid to upper teens BAC) but I never had A problem. I decided about 20 years ago to stop doing it on moral grounds because I have no right to be an aggravated risk to the collective. I also had concerns that maybe my drunk driving skills were eroding. I used to drive stoned on weed too, but I dont do street drugs anymore.
firefly

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 10:00 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
re dui i long ago used to drive very drunk (mid to upper teens BAC)

So now you only drive moderately drunk?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 10:01 am
@firefly,
i follow the dui laws.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 10:05 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
No one needs to drive after drinking

or skydive
or ski
or tan
or own a gun
or drink soda
or eat 80 grams of fat at dinner
or....

need is not the correct yardstick to use when evaluating our rights, or what the right thing to do is.

You mixed (above) criteria that could only effect an individual negatively and criteria that could effect others negatively. In my opinion, your analytical abilities are poorly displayed. Stop hiding your intellect from us. We have so much to learn from you, if you only presented your argument logically. I assume you wouldn't want some DUI driver to crash into a relative you love and cherish. Perhaps, you left something out of your analysis; like your profit would mean little if someone close to you died due to a DUI driver?
Foofie

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 10:20 am
In my opinion, the problem with any amount of alcohol and driving is that alcohol is supposed to be conducive to social activity; however, some people with one drink become obnoxious, or worse, so that type of lessened social inhibition should not be on a highway/roadway/city street. Meaning those who drink at all often are drinking to facilitate a social activity. When did a road/highway/city street become a venue to social activity? Sort of like when it was outlawed in many locales to urinate in the street. Use a toilet.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 10:24 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

or skydive
or ski
or tan
or own a gun
or drink soda
or....

need is not the correct yardstick to use when evaluating our rights, or what the right thing to do is.

You mixed (above) criteria that could only effect an individual negatively and criteria that could effect others negatively. In my opinion, your analytical abilities are poorly displayed. Stop hiding your intellect from us. We have so much to learn from you, if you only presented your argument logically. I assume you wouldn't want some DUI driver to crash into a relative you love and cherish. Perhaps, you left something out of your analysis; like your profit would mean little if someone close to you died due to a DUI driver?

Set made no indication that he believes that the governments right to use the force of law to limit risk applies only to one individual risking others, that it does not apply to self harm...so no.

Quote:
No one needs to drink and then drive. It's simple enough to be provident and assure a safe ride, or to drink either at home or somewhere where it is convenient to sleep it off. The problem with Whackeye here is that he wants to link drinking and driving when there is no plausible reason to do so. The no-nonsense phrase used in radio advertising here is: "It's simple--if you drink, don't drive." No one needs to drive after drinking. If they have been drinking and want to go somewhere, with the only option being to drive themselves, they have already proven irresponsible.

I"ll bet, as Butterfly pointed out, dram shop law is sticking in Whackeye's craw
Foofie

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 10:36 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Foofie wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

or skydive
or ski
or tan
or own a gun
or drink soda
or....

Set made no indication that he believes that the governments right to use the force of law to limit risk applies only to one individual risking others, that it does not apply to self harm...so no.

Quote:
No one needs to drink and then drive. It's simple enough to be provident and assure a safe ride, or to drink either at home or somewhere where it is convenient to sleep it off. The problem with Whackeye here is that he wants to link drinking and driving when there is no plausible reason to do so. The no-nonsense phrase used in radio advertising here is: "It's simple--if you drink, don't drive." No one needs to drive after drinking. If they have been drinking and want to go somewhere, with the only option being to drive themselves, they have already proven irresponsible.

I"ll bet, as Butterfly pointed out, dram shop law is sticking in Whackeye's craw

Your Lordship, in my opinion, as an Alpha Male, you have elegantly dismissed my point/argument. My analysis does include sorting criteria into those that only effect the individual and those that can effect others, since drinking does effect others, even if it is just from a disgusting breath.

Would I be correct, that as an entrepreneur in your locale, you might be a big fish in a little pond, so to speak? That can make one over-estimate one's intelligence, what with hired help practically hopping to attention like Gurkhas in the British Army. In my opinion, your postings might be reflective of having a "high horse," when many others do not? Yours in Humility, Your Lordship.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 11:02 am
@Foofie,
the DUI laws are not about me, they are about what is best for the 312 million lot of us. you seem to be very confused.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 11:57 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I see why MADD...

I see that you're incapable of interpreting statistics.
Setanta

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 11:59 am
@hawkeye10,
Don't try to drag me into you lame and predictably failed attempts to argue logically.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 12:28 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

I see why MADD...

I see that you're incapable of interpreting statistics.

you can at anytime demonstrate that you can do better...till then......
0 Replies