Problem teen! Solution: Turf him out?

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 04:39 pm
I am a female single parent with a male child who will be 19 at the beginning of April. I love him dearly and although I like having him around I also can't wait for him to leave home. This is such a dilemma for me and I feel depressed and guilty.

Getting him to do more than feed himself and put his clothes on is very exhausting. There is only one income coming into this house and to ease the financial burden I made him claim social security. The good thing about him being on the dole is his employment adviser who is helping him get into work. I was having no success in getting him to apply for work. Recently he has had a few days work with a security agency.

Our accommodation is small: we have two bedrooms, one bathroom with toilet, a kitchen and a lounge. His room is very small and this is why he has taken over the lounge. He occasionally fills a plastic bag with rubbish, but usually the rubbish is left on the floor. It is awful. The kitchen is awful also. He has trouble throwing things in the bin. Empty packaging will be left on the side or in the fridge. Peelings etc. are left on the side, on the floor and in the sink. I give myself such a headache getting him to do better.

My brother kindly gave me his dishwasher when he moved in with his girlfriend. This is such a blessing for me. Before, facing the stacks of dirty dishes made me despair. I have shown my son how to use it but he doesn't and his attitude says he has no intention of using it.

I can't afford a washing machine at the moment. I manage by hand washing something on a daily basis and every now and then using my mother's washing machine. Six days ago his trousers got messed up (not the first experience of this) and they have been in the bathroom soaking since then (same as last time). I remind him about them daily. Today I asked him when is he going to wash them, his answer is he doesn't know. I have asked him if he thinks it is fair for me to use the bathroom with that awful smell in there. He doesn't reply.

As I sit here typing this I feel as if I am going to have a breakdown. No matter what I say to him and how I say it I am making no progress. I feel there is only one way to resolve this situation and that is for him to move out.

I haven't said anything to him yet; I don't know how to either. Am I being harsh in wanting him to leave?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,508 • Replies: 24
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 04:41 pm
No, you're not. And it's probably to his benefit for you to act now rather than later. See this thread:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20901

It sounds like counseling may be in order, at least to help with the transition.

Sorry you are in such a difficult position, and good luck!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:27 pm
erzulietara--

Welcome to A2K.

You say that your son is 19? Does this mean that he's been a legal adult for more than a year? A legal moocher?

You've put up with a lot--and being a Suffering Single Parent hasn't made you happy or your son independent.

Are jobs available in your area? You say he's on the dole--does he help with household expenses, or is his dole his spending money?

Don't toss him out tomorrow--but sit him down and explain that he can't be a mama's boy forever. Here in the States, The Fourth of July is also known as Independence Day.

Pick a date--it needn't be the 4th of July, but three months is enough time for him to find a job and start accumulating a nest egg to pay the rent and security deposit on his own place.

Meanwhile, assert your independence. You are paying the rent for the lounge--and the bathroom. You have the right to enforce your standards of cleanliness.

Your son is terribly talented at ignoring broad hints. Stop hinting. Act. Pick up all his goods and chattels that are littering your home and your life and chuck them in his bedroom. In your place I'd be very tempted to put his stinkin' wet pants on his pillow. Dripping wet just might make your point.

If he objects, point out that he's lucky his garbage from the kitchen hasn't gone into his bedroom as well.

Yes, you love him. You also have--or should have--too much self respect to live in squalor and wait hand and foot on a lazy lout.

Good luck. Remember, we're here to listen.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:35 pm
I'd probably sit him down and talk with him. Let him know how hard it's been for you and what you're considering. Suggest that in order for things to work you'll have to work it more like a partnership and less like a Mom/Son arrangement.

Try to let him see you as a person and understand everything that you have to do in a day - then compare it with what he has to do in a day. He may get the picture.

I'm not a believer in "get the kid out as soon as he's 18, 19...whatever" - it won't really make a difference in the end whether he leaves at 19 or 21...

It is important that he's respectful of other people and can take care of himself though. Open the door to non-confrontational conversation and see where that leads...

my two cents...
0 Replies

Doveyluvr

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:54 pm
I am a 19 year old and what your son is doing is ridiculous. My sister seems to be on the same track and the only way my mom could get her to listen was to tell her that anything left out of her room at a certain time at the end of each night would be thrown on the lawn. than includes undies, books, school stuff... And my mom only had to do it once. Legally your son is an adult. He needs to get his act together. Either get a job or go to school... he needs to contribute to the household in some way. Even if that includes working around the house till he finds a job. it is time for you to be able to handle your own household. It seems like he is walking all over u. I agree with the pants on the pillow thing. sometimes tough love is the only way to get ur point across.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:09 pm
Doveyluvr has a good idea about the tossing of stuff on the lawn. I'm sure that would be a cure for some things.

I also question whether he might be depressed. Is it possible to get counselling for him, as sozobe suggested?

Rather than asking him when he is going to do something, I would suggest telling him. For instance, his pants in the bathroom. Tell him he can either move them out now or they will end up in the trash can. That sort of thing.

Good luck!!!
0 Replies

erzulietara

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 07:05 am
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate them. After I threatened to throw his trousers in the bin he stomped around a bit and tossed a few items out of the bathroom; but, he started on those trousers. Success, I thought until he put his hat and jacket on.

For some years I have been in an emergency situation; I could only deal with the things needed for our survival. That meant working at any job, no matter what it was and no matter what hours.

Now that I have a m-f that is 9-5, pays a lot better and doesn't leave me feeling like death; I am faced with this new situation of regaining control of my household. It will take a lot of hard work.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 11:27 am
erzulietara--

Yes, giving a 19 year old a crash course in maturity won't be easy.--but it will be rewarding.

What are you doing about those pants? And the rest of the bathroom litter? I'd recommend, his mess, his room.

Then give the bathroom a good scrubbing now that there is nothing in the way.

Sometimes cleaning a bathroom can be a rewarding experience.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:34 pm
I agree. At 19, he must learn to pull his own weight.

This is the deal he would get with any other roommate: If he pays half the rent/mortgage, then he gets an equal say in the rules. Until he is contributing equally, he has to live by your rules. And I would not hesitate to lay down the law. If you don't want to live in a pigsty, that's your right.

And regardless of whether he is contributing financially or not, he would be expected to clean up after himself anywhere. Despite his actions, he is no longer a child.

Good luck. Growing up is hard. I think you can do this with love, but still be very firm.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:45 am
I agree that it is not harsh. I would suggest if you have a trouser or similar problem in the future that you remove the messed clothing and put it in his room. Ahh reading Noddy's response - Noddy says it all. And be specific on what he should pay, dates to move out, changes to be made, etc. and follow through. It will be hard, but you will both be better for it.

The only other thing I can add is I wish you the best. It appears you are on the right track, seeing how you handled the trousers thing and your son's response. I would guess you will get more sulking, but it seems if you are firm he does do what needs to be done, that much is promising.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 11:00 am
Re: Problem teen! Solution: Turf him out?
erzulietara wrote:
There is only one income coming into this house and to ease the financial burden I made him claim social security.

Just for clarification - you made this statement early on here. Can I ask what the justificatin was for the Social Security is/was? Is he somehow mentally or physically impaired? Or is this based just on him being unemployed?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 11:41 am
Thanks, fishin', I was going to ask that too and forgot.

The trouser thing does seem like it could be an indication of something beyond churlishness...

There are still many resources for dealing with legal adults who have physical and/or mental impairments. As in, even if that's what's going on, he needn't still live at home.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 11:46 am
sozobe wrote:
There are still many resources for dealing with legal adults who have physical and/or mental impairments. As in, even if that's what's going on, he needn't still live at home.

Exactly. I was just wondering if maybe he'd qualify for some sort of independent living facility which might give erzulietara the sort of break she seems to be looking for.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 12:37 pm
To me it sounds as though erzulietara lives in the U.K. where, from my understanding, it's rather common that young people are "on the dole".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 12:47 pm
I was going to post that the trouser messing may be an indicator of other problems. I do hope that he can have counselling, whatever occurs, think that sozobe and fishin' may be on the right track.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 01:54 pm
I can't swear to the idiom--after all the US and the UK speak different languages, but the trousers under discussion are probably grass stained or muddy or covered with curry sauce rather than soaking from an Unfortunate Accident.

My guess is a Struggle of Wills. Will Mum be annoyed enough to wash the trousers? After all, the soaking trousers don't bother him.

This is why I advocate moving the trousers to his room--even to his pillow--so that they become his problem.

Of course, he's been meaning to get around to the trouser problem for several days now and Women Are Just So Picky-picky.

Two sons. Six stepsons. I have done post-graduate work in the Psychology of the Teen Aged Male.
0 Replies

erzulietara

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 06:27 pm
The trousers - they have been washed.

Yes I am in the UK. No he doesn't have a mental or a physical problem. He just has an attitude that I find difficult to understand. When I was a young teenager I wasn't allowed a paper round or a Saturday job like my older brother and sister. As soon as I turned sixteen I got myself a parttime job. No one suggested it and I didn't get any encouragement.

My son alas is different, there has to be someone behind him pushing and prodding. A screen name he chose for himself is gluttonsloth; is he having me on?

He has been on the dole for less than a year now - 6-8 months and if I hadn't pushed and prodded the application still would not have been filled in. Why did I insist? My wages, though better than before, are still not great.

The good thing about his signing on is he attends the jobcentre weekly as part of the New Deal program; this program helps people get into work. So far he has had a few days work with a security agency. He has work tomorrow and at the weekend. I hope he gets something permanent soon.

I have spoken with him about future living arrangements. We both agree that he needs a place of his own. I gave him the address of the housing department where he needs to pick up an application. Although I am tempted to go there myself and pick up the application I will wait and see what happens.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 06:34 pm
erzulietara--

Congratulations on the trousers.

You are absolutely right. His job is to pick up the application. Your job is to make moving out (and onward and upward) to a place where he can make the rules very attractive.

Gluttonsloth? At least he has a sense of humor. Has he always been lazy?

You're making progress--both of you.
0 Replies

erzulietara

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 07:23 am
Thanks Noddy, I need all the encouragement I can get Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:37 am
It does seem like he has a sense of humour. It's good to hear that he signed on for the job program. The prodding might be a neccessary evil for now. Some teens are really just looking for guidance and direction from an authority figure, although you're damned if you actually want them to admit it. Keep it up. Once he finds his wings, he'll probably be fine.
0 Replies