Does anyone here use hulu or netflicks instead of cable?

chai2

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 08:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh God.

I just watched one of the Worst documentaries on NF. Well, I scanned past quite a bit.

Tony Robbins: I'm Not Your Guru.

What a shyster this guy is.

It's hard to believe there are so many gullible people out there.

It's every stupid corporate "Let's Get Excited" meeting you were ever forced to go to, but 2500 people pay $5K a head to be there.

When he get's someone from the audience on the hook, and they're telling their tale of woe, his sound people actually start playing soft music, to encourage others to start dabbing their eyes, clutching a strangers hand, while Tony uses clever phrases like "F*ck that", "That's F*cking Bullsh!t" or "You feel your life is F*cked up, right?" Of course that's so they will be shocked out of their despondence.
tsarstepan

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 05:53 pm
@chai2,
Netflix is dropping stars in favor of a thumb-based ratings system
#Frack!
chai2

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 06:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
I can kinda see this.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a scary movie, like devils, monsters and such. I'll look through the horror movies and almost all of them get 1 or 2 stars. Some of them are obviously pretty good, for what they are.

heh. I seldom watch something twice. If I do it's usually because I'm with someone else and they haven't seen it, and I've recommended it as good.

An aside...Wally uses another sign in on our account. Glad he does because our tastes so different. He once complained to me that "there's nothing to watch"
I asked him if he was rating the shows when they were over, and he said he couldn't be bothered. Have haranguing about it a few times, within a few weeks he started saying things like "Harumph...looks like they're putting better stuff on my board." Rolling Eyes

jcboy

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 06:50 pm
@chai2,
We sill have cable but we probably watch more movies on Netflix than anything else.
chai2

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 07:20 pm
@jcboy,
Have you ever checked out Netflix Kids? There's some good stuff on there.
jcboy

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 07:22 pm
@chai2,
I have, they only get an hour of TV a day, the Puerto Rican and I are tyrants Razz
chai2

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 08:44 pm
@jcboy,
LOL I'm sure you're awful.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 12:32 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I can kinda see this.

Here's one of the inciting sparks for why they're making such a drastic move:
Trolls Are Flocking to Give Amy Schumer's Netflix Special Bad Reviews
chai2

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
But wouldn't the trolls just all give it a thumbs down?

I watched the Leather Special the other night. I agree some people don't like it that a woman is saying words only men are supposed to get away with. Not only that, but Amy has the gall to not only say those words but do it while standing there looking like a totally normal size woman. One who apparently has no shame because she obviously feels good about herself. How dare she?

I didn't care for some of it, but it had nothing to do with the subject matter. Other parts were good, and funny. I gave it 4 stars because I look at it that this is an individual doing their job and standing up there all alone, taking it all on themselves. That gets a star added on right there unless they were truly horrible.

Sturgis

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 11:25 am
@chai2,
I've never quite understood why men and women are supposed to be limited to what they are allowed to say or do while the other gender can get away with it. Seems to me, people should be allowed to say whatever the want to and after that I can like or not.
tsarstepan

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 01:15 pm
@Sturgis,
That's not the problem. Misogyny is the problem that leads some morons to create spambots to create new ways to thumb down YouTube votes that break record the site's voting records against a particular artist as in the case of Amy Schumer. In her case, not because her comedy was considered bad or terrible but because she had taken to announce her political views nationally (progun control) with her cousin, Senator Chuck Schumer.

The people being questioned here were rigging the ratings systems on Netflix with fake accounts. That's not legitimately airing out your opinion and grievance against a person's work or the person herself.
chai2

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 03:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Interesting. I didn't know that.
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 22 Jul, 2017 06:42 am
Not only is the Hulu app for Apple TV a steaming pile of ****, the "My Stuff" section and your "Watchlist" when viewed through a browser are not in sync. That's impressively horrible.
tsarstepan

Mon 9 Apr, 2018 07:50 am
@jcboy,
https://i.imgur.com/9c7t7R8.jpg
0 Replies

printstopindia

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 01:12 am
@chai2,
Mostly Netflix
tsarstepan

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 11:57 am
@printstopindia ,
chai2

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 02:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have to ask.

Are people f*cking glued to their TV or other device like 18 hours a day, 7 days a week watching shows and movies?

I absolutely cannot keep up with the list on have on NF, nevermind subscribing to anything else.

So a show is cancelled. There's a million other selections on there.

I still get excited whenever I turn on NF. I love seeing a show I know I'll enjoy and put it on my list.

But Christ, when is it enough for some people?

Honestly?
I think most people out there are perfectly satisfied with one service, saving a ton of money over cable, and thinks they already watch more than they should.

farmerman

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 02:23 pm
@chai2,
so who **** in your cornflakes today??

I like netflix and YOUTUBE content. I love some of the YOUTUBE "how to build a corner cupboard" shows. My wife gets totally pissed at me but, what the hell, Ill make her a corner cupboard for Christmas and she'll forgiv me.

She streams and gets Netflix CDs (because streaming doesnt have all the movie library that they maintain), only like 15% of their library is streamable.

I keep tv on like "background noise" in my studio. Im working on some cow portraits for a show and Im doing a "Moog Shot" of a Holstein, and I need some tv noise to keep my ADD at bay while I paint.

chai2

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:57 pm
@farmerman,
No one **** in my cornflakes.

I watch youtube all the time too. That's how I learn a lot of stuff, or just to watch kittens.
I love NF, and watch it pretty much every day for a few hours.
I have never seen such an entertainment bargain as NF (or other streaming service) in my entire life, but it's apparantly still not enough.

Don't know why you think I'm being a shithead when I'm pointing out a lot of people seems literally obsessed with subscribing to so many services, when there are only so many hours in the day, and I presume most work and sleep at least a few hours a day, plus do other stuff.

Having TV noise doesn't mean you have to worry about NF having competition, or needing to also subscribe to Amazon, Hulu and whatever other companies are out there.

I'm really wondering who has the time for all this.

I just looked it up, and it says there are 140 million hours of content each day.
That would be 16 years of 24/7 viewing.

Yeah of course most won't be a particular persons taste, but seriously? With all the new shows coming out all the time, you can't find something to snuggle up on the couch and watch for 2 to 5 hours at a time?

Is this what people mean by FOMO?

farmerman

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 04:15 pm
@chai2,
I didnt say shithead at all. I sensed a note of total disdain at folks like me. I think Ive got the internet Tv on mot of the day while Im either doing project work or painting.
Ive got my laptop sending stuff over to a bigger screened TV (32" caue its easier to red at a distance and I got the damned thing at a yard sale real cheap).

Like printers, they are merely a device to sell us more ink, the tv is a device to charge us for cable/internet or both. For internet/cable and about 4 premium channels plus sirius XM, we pay almost 500$ a month .That is outrageous but it givs us pleasure and while my wife already tried to economize(Well, ask me how that went for us?)