Does anyone here use hulu or netflicks instead of cable?

chai2

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 04:21 pm
@chai2,
Question Question Question!

We bought a blue ray player today, and from what I see, it's going to ask me what my SSID name is.

How do I find that?

I've googled it and don't understand the answers
parados

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 04:33 pm
@chai2,
SSID is the name you have given your WIFI connection when it was set up if you have WIFI.

If you have a router connected to the internet and that is set up for DHCP then you can simply connect the blue ray with a hard connection and it should find connection info.
parados

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 04:36 pm
@chai2,
If you have a wifi router, tell us what brand and model it is and we can help you find the info you need.
chai2

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 05:56 pm
@parados,
DHCP?

0 Replies

chai2

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 05:57 pm
@parados,
How do I know if I have a wifi router?
sozobe

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:03 pm
@chai2,
LOVE it.

Got a new TV and Apple TV around last Christmas or so. Then got Netflix.

We've pretty much stopped watching cable at all. I just finished watching all (7?) seasons of 30 Rock, holy crap that was good. (Had to watch the most recent season on iTunes, and pay, but it wasn't that bad.)

Have caught up with "Louie," the kid and I are about halfway through "Glee," I'm about halfway through the first season of "Arrested Development," etc.

That's the main thing we use it for -- TV -- but there are plenty of movies as well.

It's ideal for us because we basically haven't watched TV for 13 years, if you don't have that kind of catching up to do it might not be as great.

It usually doesn't have stuff available until a while after the air time (a year)?

To add to what engineer says, sometimes sozlet will be watching something on Netflix while also goofing off on her iPod and I am on the computer -- we haven't had any problems with doing all of that at once. We have WideOpenWest (not available in TX I don't think) cable internet connection, and then wifi (Airport).
OmSigDAVID

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:07 pm
I gotta look into all this; I feel like a dinosaur.
parados

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:26 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

How do I know if I have a wifi router?

How do you currently connect to the internet? Do you have only one computer?
If you use more than one computer then you probably have a router.

The first thing to do is check the device that is connected to your internet, cable, or phone line. There should be a cable going from that device to your computer or another device.

If it goes to your computer from that device, then check and see if there are any open connections similar to the one that goes to the computer. If so, then you should be able to just connect the blue ray player to that device and have it work.

If you don't know if you have wifi, then you probably don't have it because you would be using it for portable devices like laptops or even wifi on a smart phone. Check and see if your device has an antennae. If not then it probably doesn't have wifi.

DHCP is just a way for devices to connect automatically to a network.

Let's start with how you connect to the internet. I assume you aren't using dial up. So do you connect using Cable or DSL (phone)?
parados

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:28 pm
http://www.northshore-it.com/tips/how-tos/cascade_linksys/img/3678-005.png

This image shows the connections on the back of a typical wifi router. If your device looks like this then hookup will be easy.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Me too David, me too.

Parados, I just got off the phone w/ AT&T, and they answered the question for me.

Yes, the router I have for my current PC (only one computer in the household) is good for WIFI.

I got from "Aloha", the CSR what the name of my network is, and she showed me where to find the password on the bottom of my router, which is under the heading of "Wireless Network Key"

David in the terms that simple minded people like us can understand, so far it's been pretty painless.
In dinosaur words....
We haven't set up our Blue Ray yet, we just bought it today at Best Buy. A blue ray is a device on which you can stream movies or shows, and also watch DVD's. It cost I think $79.00
More on what the blue ray can do in a moment.

Apparantly when you set up your blue ray, connecting it to your television, you tell it what the name of your network is (what Aloha told me) and the password (which as I said is on the bottom of the router.)

Then, you can go online and sign up with Netflix, or Hulu, or some other streaming service, and you can watch all the shows and movies you want to like $8 a month.

In addition, the blue ray is already loaded with other apps, like for instance Pandora, which is a music site, so you can listen to music from your TV/blue ray....and a bunch of other apps where you can watch free movies. You can also watch YouTube on your TV also. You can do all this while someone else is on the computer.

If you want to play games, there are other devices you could get other than the blue ray, i.e. an x-box. Since neither one of us is into that, we went with the blue ray. The blue ray will also give us a better picture on the TV, since we have a high def TV.

Aloha was very nice. I explained to her that we were going to try a free trial of Netflix for a week (I see in the banner ad below I can get a free month). If we like it (I'm sure we'll decide yes within a couple of days) we were going to drop the TV portion of our AT&T Uverse account and just keep the internet portion. She said that if we were going we Netflix we would probably want to increase our internet speed. When I hesitated at that (great, we're doing this to cut costs, as well as get rid of commercials) she said she could double our speed for 6 months for free, and after that time is would only be $5.00 a month.

That sounded like a good deal, so I said ok.

We'll see how it works, I'll be reporting back!
chai2

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:47 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

If you don't know if you have wifi, then you probably don't have it because you would be using it for portable devices like laptops or even wifi on a smart phone. Check and see if your device has an antennae. If not then it probably doesn't have wifi.

Not necessarily. Not if you don't have a laptop. Don't have one, and no interest in getting one.

Our router doesn't have an antenae, but it's wifi, according to Aloha.

Not everyone has, or is interested is every device that comes down the pike.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:48 pm
@sozobe,
Yeah soz, I really think I'm going to like it too. I don't care if something is a year old....what do I have to compare it to?

It's not like I stand around at work, or over the fence with my neighbors talking about TV.

I mean, it's just TV....ya know?
OmSigDAVID

Sat 1 Jun, 2013 07:04 pm
@chai2,

OmSigDAVID wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Me too David, me too.

Parados, I just got off the phone w/ AT&T, and they answered the question for me.

Yes, the router I have for my current PC (only one computer in the household) is good for WIFI.

I got from "Aloha", the CSR what the name of my network is, and she showed me where to find the password on the bottom of my router, which is under the heading of "Wireless Network Key"

David in the terms that simple minded people like us can understand, so far it's been pretty painless.
In dinosaur words....
We haven't set up our Blue Ray yet, we just bought it today at Best Buy. A blue ray is a device on which you can stream movies or shows, and also watch DVD's. It cost I think $79.00
More on what the blue ray can do in a moment.

Apparantly when you set up your blue ray, connecting it to your television, you tell it what the name of your network is (what Aloha told me) and the password (which as I said is on the bottom of the router.)

Then, you can go online and sign up with Netflix, or Hulu, or some other streaming service, and you can watch all the shows and movies you want to like $8 a month.

In addition, the blue ray is already loaded with other apps, like for instance Pandora, which is a music site, so you can listen to music from your TV/blue ray....and a bunch of other apps where you can watch free movies. You can also watch YouTube on your TV also. You can do all this while someone else is on the computer.

If you want to play games, there are other devices you could get other than the blue ray, i.e. an x-box. Since neither one of us is into that, we went with the blue ray. The blue ray will also give us a better picture on the TV, since we have a high def TV.

Aloha was very nice. I explained to her that we were going to try a free trial of Netflix for a week (I see in the banner ad below I can get a free month). If we like it (I'm sure we'll decide yes within a couple of days) we were going to drop the TV portion of our AT&T Uverse account and just keep the internet portion. She said that if we were going we Netflix we would probably want to increase our internet speed. When I hesitated at that (great, we're doing this to cut costs, as well as get rid of commercials) she said she could double our speed for 6 months for free, and after that time is would only be $5.00 a month.

That sounded like a good deal, so I said ok.

We'll see how it works, I'll be reporting back!
Thank u, Chai. Lots of Good Luck !!!

David
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 2 Jun, 2013 04:25 pm
@chai2,
Yeah!
chai2

Sat 8 Jun, 2013 06:38 pm
@sozobe,
ok, hooked up the blue ray, and really like it already.

I checked out pandora, and created a station called Willy Nelson.
It streams not just willy, but similar, like johnny cash, george strait, merle haggard.

looked at npr (included on blue ray) and listen to a couple of stories.

signed up for net flix, for a one month trial, and Wally is watching some movie about the black plague.

there's lots of other free stuff that comes w/ blue ray.

Only thing we need to figure out is connecting his headset to the blueray player so he can watch his blow 'em ups and not wake up the neighborhood, or me.

so far, so very good.
parados

Sun 9 Jun, 2013 07:42 am
@chai2,
Headphones would probably need to be connected to the device that the sound is coming from, TV or stereo system.

HDMI connection if you are using it, is sending sound to the TV.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 11 Sep, 2013 07:09 am
More good news for future Netflix lovers-to-be.
I think we have a few a2ker's living in the Netherlands... I think...:
Netflix Launches in The Netherlands
http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/netflix-launches-in-the-netherlands-1200607571/

For our English brethren:
U.K. Cable Giant Virgin Media to Integrate Netflix Service in Industry First
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/uk-cable-giant-virgin-media-624969
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:07 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
signed up for net flix, for a one month trial, ...

That's how they suck you in. That's how they sucked me in, and I've stayed. Good bang for my entertainment dollar, if you ask me.
DrewDad

Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:30 am
@Ticomaya,
I really, really want a Roku 3....

Headphone jack IN THE REMOTE!

Will work with all kinds of channels... Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Netflix, ESPN, etc....
tsarstepan

Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:53 am
@DrewDad,
Now if they can only get over their fear of Youtube and get it to work on their box.
0 Replies