jcboy

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 04:37 pm
I use to get Netflix through my PS3 player but I cancelled it months ago. You couldn’t watch a movie without it stopping every 15 minutes, too many streaming problems.

The new TV we just got has built in WiFi so I thought I would try Netflix again since now it will be going through our wireless router, it’s a lot better then the PS3 player but it still stops at least three times during a movie. I’m guessing the only way to go would be an Ethernet connection straight to the modem. I was hoping I didn’t have to go that route. Does anyone else have this problem?

View best answer, chosen by jcboy
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 05:58 pm
@jcboy,
Morgan that problem has been around for a while. Did you change to the new lightening Internet? If not you'll always have that problem with Netflix, unless you connect via Ethernet cable.
0 Replies

tsarstepan
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 06:17 pm
@jcboy,
I used to have that problem with Hulu Plus. Like Jeffrey figured out, it's an ISP issue not necessarily a hardware issue of yours. I bet the problem starts sometime after 5PM when your neighbors who share the same ISP are also streaming and/or large video files at the same time after work.

Time Warner Cable recently upgraded its broadband service and so far (knock on wood) our internet is spot on.
jcboy

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 06:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
I’m going to give the cable company a call tomorrow. I didn’t know about this new high speed Internet and you're right, it's slower at night! I never pay attention to anything the cable company mails me except the bill.

I like the new Netflix because they have a channel just for kids and we can block out everything else on Antonio’s TV.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 06:37 pm
@jcboy,
Glad you're looking into it being and Internet provider issue, because that's what I was going to suggest.

The speed between your device and your router is likely to be much higher than your Internet speed, so I doubt that changing the connection to the router will make any difference.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 06:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
I just signed up for netflix again, this time streaming, and I've been chicken to try it.

So, thanks for this thread. We'll see. I have dsl.
Uh oh.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 07:19 pm
@DrewDad,
Thanks again DD. We spend enough money with our cable company each month, the high speed couldn’t be much more.

And Osso I hope you got the 30 day free trial like we did. I believe it's going to be a problem with DSL.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 08:23 pm
@jcboy,
Grrrr, if so.
jcboy

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 08:10 am
@ossobuco,
I just got off the phone with my cable company, they’re coming out tomorrow to switch out my router and modem for the faster one, only cost $12.00 more a month so probably worth it. If this doesn’t solve my Netflix issues I’ll have to dump them again lol.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:47 am
@jcboy,
I use Netflix through wifi all the time and it almost never has any problems. So I would guess this is more of a service provider issue than a wireless issue for you.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 10:07 am
@ossobuco,
Depends on your speed. I was using our Roku player at my mother's house, and she has DSL. Netflix and Amazon instant videos worked OK, but Hulu was atrocious.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 10:21 am
@DrewDad,
Thanks.
jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:14 pm
@ossobuco,
The cable company came out and upgraded our modem. With this new modem we don’t even need the wireless router, it’s all in one. I think its going to be fine now, Netflix sure loaded a lot faster then it did before!
jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:25 pm
@jcboy,
Oh well so much for that. I had a movie on and it just stopped and said it was retrieving data. Evil or Very Mad I'm going to take a nap!
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:36 pm
@jcboy,
Do you mind telling us which movie it was JC? I often wonder if the most popular movies might lag server wise if too many people are trying to stream it at the same time.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
The more popular a movie is, the more sites Netflix caches the movie at. In my experience, it's the less-popular movies that have the biggest problems with streaming.

I've also noticed that different devices have vastly different performance. I wonder if the agent on his PS3 is just not very efficient....
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:50 pm
@DrewDad,
Yeah. That makes a bit of sense DD.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 02:28 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
I wonder if the agent on his PS3 is just not very efficient....

according to the OP, he's using the new system (new TV with built-in WIFI) not the PS3
sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 02:36 pm
For what it's worth, I started using Netflix about a month ago. For the first few weeks we used my old internet connection (DSL, 1.5 mbps) and then last week we got a new cable internet connection (15 mbps).

Netflix never stalled or anything all the way through. The big difference has been picture quality. On the old connection it was lo-fi and eh -- it's very crisp and clear with the new connection.

We access it via Apple TV.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 02:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Do you mind telling us which movie it was JC? I often wonder if the most popular movies might lag server wise if too many people are trying to stream it at the same time.

Oh I just woke up lol. It was The Grey with Liam Neeson. Netflix loaded quite a bit faster but I was only into about 15 minutes of the movie when it stopped.

Going out to dinner tonight but I'll try it again tonight.