Take That, NetFlix!!! um. How?

Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:50 am
I want to stream movies to my HDtv.
What's the best way to do that?
What's the easiest way?
(I know they are seldom the same.)
What do I look for on the back of my computer and the back of the TV and what cables do you think I'll need.

Thanks, Computer Wizardish People!!

Joe(You humble me with your knowledge)Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,079 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Joe Nation
tsarstepan
  Selected Answer

Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:22 am
@Joe Nation,
I thought this was going to be a protest thread against Netflix's price increase.

The Roku player maybe the best and easiest way to pull it off Sir Joe.

Quote:
The good: Affordable sub-$100 price tag; streams a variety of Internet video and audio services, including Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, Major League Baseball games, and Mediafly podcasts; built-in Wi-Fi; works with all TVs; upgradable firmware allows for periodic update of content and features; good HD video quality (on channels and programming that support it).

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-receivers/netflix-player-by-roku/4505-6739_7-33018087.html#ixzz1SYLsBRtf

0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:48 am
@Joe Nation,
Also, if you have a Tivo, Wii, PS3, XBox 360, Apple TV, some Internet-connected bluray players, some Internet-connected HD TVs, etc.

Basically, any Netflix-ready device

Check this page at Netflix: Netflix-Ready
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 19 Jul, 2011 08:49 am
@Joe Nation,
Tsar's got it, we went with a Roku and dropped our DVD plan. Then we reinstated it because the "Streaming option" doesnt yet have all their movie library in there. We can get only the DVD versions of the BRit shows like

DOC MARTIN
or

THE BONEKICKERS

which, by the way are two excellent names for rock bands
0 Replies

Irishk

Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:29 am
Any wireless DVD player would work, too, I think. That's what we use. Used...as of September. Boo Netflix!

(ETA: Dear Netflix, I still love your customer service, though! Don't change. I'll miss you!)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:06 am
@Joe Nation,
If you haven't bought yet, today's Woot deal is a Roku HD player.

http://www.woot.com/

Deal changes at midnight....
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Mon 25 Jul, 2011 03:36 pm
@Joe Nation,
Hook up your laptop to your HDTV and use the latter as a monitor.

It'll cost you the price of a monitor cable.
Joe Nation

Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:15 am
@InfraBlue,
Why can't I do that with my PC??

Joe(i have two of those)Nation
farmerman

Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:37 am
@Joe Nation,
We havwe the "both" plan which will be severeable services in Septober. I looked at the offerings and was amazedthat the streaming library is waaay smaller than the DVD library.
(We watch a lot of the Brit comedies like Doc MArtin )
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:56 am
@Joe Nation,
You can. To get good quality directly you may need the right video card. One that has an hdmi output is best if your tv supports it. If you don't have that output on your pc video card (it's not that common) you can use solutions like a VGA to HDMI upscaler but that is less than ideal.

But IMO it's worth the $99 to have the 10-foot interface and remote control that the other devices can give you. If you have other Apple gadgets (e.g. iphone, ipad) I'd go with the apple tv with it's airplay support for itunes media but Roku is what I'd go with if I didn't have other Apple stuff.
Joe Nation

Thu 4 Aug, 2011 04:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks, Robert.
Thanks, everyone.

Joe(off he goes again.)Nation
Irishk

Fri 5 Aug, 2011 10:45 am
@Joe Nation,
Let us know which way you decide to go, Joe.

Here's a fast-loading site that has good info on upcoming, expiring and newly released streaming choices...(you can also whittle it down with a ratings choice)...

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new

0 Replies