Is retail slow this time of year?

Angel23

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 08:23 am
Like may/June? And when is it busy besides holiday season? Just wondering.

Ragman

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 09:36 am
@Angel23,
Not getting any hours in your work schedule, huh?

Of course retail is slow in the approaching summer months. Ask around and look around in the sore. Do you see as many customers as compared to Christmas or even Easter-time? Memorial Day is bigger traffic weekend only in stores that sell BBQ equipment and sell food. Otherwise summer months are dog-days retail-wise.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 11:29 am
@Ragman,
That's strange because my wife and I visited Valley Fair shopping center, and they were packed with people! BTW, many were carrying their purchases. The food court was packed too!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 11:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Also,
Quote:
Bloomberg News
Treasury 10-Year Yields Reach Seven-Week High After Retail Sales
By Susanne Walker
May 13, 2013 Facebook Tweet LinkedIn Google Plus Emai

Treasury 10-year yields reached the highest level in almost seven weeks after a report showed U.S. retail sales unexpectedly increased in April, renewing optimism central-bank efforts to spur economic growth are working.

U.S. 10-year benchmark yields rose for a third day as European policy makers expressed a willingness to consider more ways to spur growth following weekend talks of the Group of Seven. A report May 17 is forecast to show consumer sentiment in May climbed to the highest level this year.
Ragman

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 12:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What do I know?! I'm just a little man only 1/4 inch tall who is trapped inside this computer.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 04:04 pm
@Ragman,
Heck, you're a full 1/8 inch taller than me! You're trapped inside your computer, but I'm trapped under the letter "t" on my keyboard. Mr. Green

I never learned how to reach the "Esc" key.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 07:54 am
@cicerone imposter,
Here's what I found in NY TIMES as of Mid-March:

"Americans spent at the fastest pace in five months in February, pushing up retail sales by 1.1 percent from January. About half the increase reflected higher gasoline prices, but even excluding fuel purchases, retail sales rose 0.6 percent. "

However, if one views the local (micro)-economy in more upscale communities, there could be a distorted view of the economy as a whole. Wherever the OP lives, it might be quite the opposite. In areas located in large pockets of the Midwest, Compton, CA or places like Gary, IN, Detroit, Akron, OH, parts of urban NJ, there's not likely to be a vibrant retail atmosphere. UK on the whole suffers quite a downturn, of course.

None of this seems to be what OP is looking for. She is concerned (based on her past posting history) because her job is not giving her enough work hours on her schedule.
Ragman

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 09:06 am
@Ragman,
Furthermore ...from that same article:
"Core retail sales, which exclude the volatile categories of purchases of gasoline, autos and building supplies, rose 0.4 percent in February compared with January. "
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 09:41 am
@Ragman,
I've been reading that the UK is set to suffer their third recession. On the whole, though, the overall economy in the US seems to be chugging along with plusses no matter how small. Considering all the bad weather issues back east, I believe retail sales are doing okay with all those handicaps.
0 Replies