what are the meanings of the following words and sentences?

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 09:12 pm
tag the well-piece, the bell-post...

a wide circle of curl-papers, paler than the streak of sawn, bounced around her head.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 743 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 12:16 pm
@merlin1990,
As far as I've been able to determine, Mer, there's no such thing as a well-piece, a bell-post, or a curl-paper while "sawn" is past tense of "saw"

To get things started however I consulted my Better Half, who is much smarter than I--and apparently even smarter than the editors of OneLook.com--who advises that a curl-paper is a rectangular slip of paper used used by milady to help roll up a hank of hair

She guesses a bell-post is a wooden pole atop which a bell is mounted, while "sawn" might be a typo for "dawn". Thus the gal recently having done up her hair using bluish curl-papers is riding in a shaky chariot passing a set of chimes mounted atop a tree stump

Though we're both baffled by the well-piece, perhaps a landmark made to look like the top of a well

So thanks Mer, it's not everyday…...
merlin1990

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 02:34 am
@dalehileman,
thanks a lot for your sincere response. It really helps a lot. I have to apologize that "sawn" is a typing mistake made by me, and it is exactly "dawn". These words and sentences are from "Losing Battles" by Eudora Welty. I still have no idea what "well-piece" is, and next week I might be able to share the answer with you coz my teacher will analyze it then. All in all, I really appreciate your help.
roger

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 02:45 am
@merlin1990,
Oh. Welty had a picturesque way of writing, but her descriptions weren't always clear to everyone.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 11:33 am
@merlin1990,
Quote:
All in all, I really appreciate your help
1990 you've made my week, wish more felt that way

http://www.jalbaugh.com/index.php/well-pieces/
merlin1990

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 08:59 am
@dalehileman,
sorry, I didn't check your reply in time. And I am astonished by your work. We had the class today, while the teacher also didn't offer a certain answer. She said it might be just a well, coz Welty always had a unique way of wording.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 10:11 am
@merlin1990,
Quote:
And I am astonished by your work.
I'm truly flattered
0 Replies