Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 10:27 am
Someone says that to create a petition in We the PEOPLE requires that the petitioner is a citizen of the United States and to pretend to be US citizen is a crime. I need your help to examine the authenticity of this remark.

Because I check out "Create a WhiteHouse.gov Account" and find out no such requirement there. There are a lot of petitions right now in WE the PEOPLE which have been created by citizens of China or other countries. Many think that the United States has been playing the role of World Police who defends Human Rights around the world.

Thank you for reading.

Context:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 506 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 12:29 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Someone says that to create a petition in We the PEOPLE requires that the petitioner is a citizen of the United States and to pretend to be US citizen is a crime. I need your help to examine the authenticity of this remark.

The sentence I quoted is unambiguous, if that's your question. I do not mean to say it is an accurate statement.
oristarA

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 06:56 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

oristarA wrote:

The sentence I quoted is unambiguous, if that's your question. I do not mean to say it is an accurate statement.

Thank you Roger.
Please make it accurate.
roger

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:15 pm
@oristarA,
But ori, I don't know if it is a crime to pretend to be a US citizen, in all circumstances. I'm sure it is if you claim citizenship to vote or claim benefits reserved for citizens. It is probably not if you are signing an internet petition, but I don't know.
oristarA

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:21 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

But ori, I don't know if it is a crime to pretend to be a US citizen, in all circumstances. I'm sure it is if you claim citizenship to vote or claim benefits reserved for citizens. It is probably not if you are signing an internet petition, but I don't know.

That is exactly what I want to know. Let's wait and see whether others will come to answer.
roger

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:26 pm
@oristarA,
Aha! Your question is not language; it's political.
oristarA

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 09:42 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Aha! Your question is not language; it's political.

It is the practical use of language, isn't it?
When we use both brawn and brain, our language will be vividly alive. Is it not?
roger

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 10:30 pm
@oristarA,
I guess so. I initially addressed the question of ambiguity, so I suppose I missed the point of the question.
0 Replies