Persons who are pluming themselves on having detected a vulgar error that they can amend are not lik

WBYeats

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 01:03 am
A text: Persons who are pluming themselves on having detected a vulgar error that they can amend are not likely to admit that it is a mare's nest on the unreasoned ipse dixit of an eighteenth century rhetorician, or even of a twentieth century OED.

I've consulted several dictionaries, and they all do not have a verb like PLUME; could you tell me what the red words mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 449 • Replies: 3
No top replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 01:20 am
@WBYeats,
Quote:
verb (used with object)
11. to furnish, cover, or adorn with plumes or feathers.
12. (of a bird) to preen (itself or its feathers).
13. to feel complacent satisfaction with (oneself); pride (oneself) (often followed by on or upon ): She sat before the mirror, pluming herself upon her beauty.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pluming?s=t
WBYeats

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 01:39 am
@mesquite,
Thanks.

I didn't find it, because Oxford and Macmillan don't have it, while Longman has it, but the meaning is narrow:

plume:

[intransitive] literary-to rise or come out in a cloud:
eg No smoke plumed out of the factory's great chimneys
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 06:16 pm
@WBYeats,
If this is still from Fowler, I would heed Contrex's advice and consign that book to the garbage can, WB.
0 Replies