Whaddya Mean I Don't Have a Doctorate Degree!

pueo

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 09:10 pm
i paid $1,500.00 dollars for it, and look at the quality of the paper.

paid for
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,109 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 04:47 am
Re: Whaddya Mean I Don't Have a Doctorate Degree!
pueo wrote:
i paid $1,500.00 dollars for it, and look at the quality of the paper.

paid for

They had to know they would get caught eventually. Schools check that stuff out!

Personally, I think the whole degree system is a fraud. Experience means more. There are so many people that spend thousands on degrees that get them nowhere.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 06:05 am
Quote:
Personally, I think the whole degree system is a fraud. Experience means more. There are so many people that spend thousands on degrees that get them nowhere.

I disagree. I think that the problem is that many people use the degree as a means to an end. What many fail to see, is that for the purposes of the student, the process of getting the degree is what is important. For the potential employer of the student, the degree is one factor in a screening process.

I went back to school in my mid thirties. The experience that I had there opened my mind to many things of which I had been unaware. If I had never worked after that, the experience would have still been a very valuable one for me, as a person.

I remember a discussion that I had in college in one of my classes. We were talking about whether the purpose of a higher education was to get a job, or become a more rounded individual. The conclusion that we came to was that many people look upon college as a ticket to a better career, but that is only part of the picture. The things that you learn in college will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life.

As far as experience is concerned, all fine and good. I maintain though, that the person with the higher education assimilates the experience in a different way than one who has not, (if he has paid attention in class) based on the skills that he has learned in school.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 06:15 am
Pardon me, pueo, but the correct title of this thread should be:

''Waddyah mean I don't got no doctor's degree?''

'Aint got no' is also acceptable.

Joe
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 01:04 pm
Quote:
I remember a discussion that I had in college in one of my classes. We were talking about whether the purpose of a higher education was to get a job, or become a more rounded individual. The conclusion that we came to was that many people look upon college as a ticket to a better career, but that is only part of the picture. The things that you learn in college will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life.

I think that that is a fundamental difference between non-trads and trads. Most 18 year olds are there to hopefully get a high paying job where they can take tons'o'vacation time to go snowboarding! Very Happy
"Non-traditional" students tend to be more focussed on learning for its own sake. It is also sehr difficult to go back at a later date. I think that this level of difficulty contributes to the value of the education for older students.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 01:14 pm
hobitbob- It was very interesting. When I first got back to school, I took a class on Saturday mornings. It was in a community college, so the young people were basically 18-19. Because most young people are not in the mood for study after going out Friday night, the vast majority of people in the class were middle aged women.

The older women "ran" the class. It was one of the most creative I had ever been in (It was American Lit), and we used to take on all kinds of projects and activities, because we WANTED to. The youngsters basically sat there.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 01:19 pm
When I did my second BA, I took many of my classes at night , due to the fact it was easier to get into the "evening degree" track at the UW as a non-trad. I noticed the same thing.Smile In my third quarter there, when I switched to all day classes, I spent a great deal of time trying not to monopolize discussions! Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 01:43 pm
I think that one of the best reasons to go back to school when you are older are twofold: One, you WANT to be there, and two, it is really much easier. I don't think that people realize, unless they have been living under a rock, that over the years we pick up lots of information, by just LIVING. Quite a bit of information that the younger people agonized over, I had at my fingertips.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 01:53 pm
Yup. Very Happy A BA in history that was begin at aged 28 had about 24 years of autodidacticism in hisory, theology, and literature at its assistance. This has served me quite well in grad school,too.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 04:56 pm
sorry joe, i try do gooder next time.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:13 pm
Now you've got it.

I'm always reminded of the interview with the teacher who, when asked what her field of expertise was, replied "I teaches English."

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes :wink: Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:50 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
I'm always reminded of the interview with the teacher who, when asked what her field of expertise was, replied "I teaches English."

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes :wink: Rolling Eyes

*LOL*

As for the initial story, I figure those in charge of handing out raises should have determined the exact nature of the credentials being presented to them. Since they didn't, why should the teachers suffer from their dumb ass mistake? Very Happy
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:16 pm
i'ma gonna save up $1,500.00 and get me one of dem doctur digrees. den all yu folks will calle me doctur pueo cuz the paper will sae that ime edjamacated.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:26 pm
I no ya pretty good. Kin eye call ya doc! Laughing
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:42 pm
shure ya can, but lemme get da $1500.00 and paypur frst.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 09:16 pm
fifteen hunnert? my cousin ed kin print you up one uh them on his cum-pew-tuhr box fer tin bucks. he done me a good burth sur-tiff-ick-ut.
0 Replies