Are You Chatting At Me!

pueo

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:05 pm
Quote:
The research's abstract explains: "Conflict is an important social force among online communities, as it assists in the construction of hierarchies and social orders without the need for prior knowledge of individual participants or other forms of verification or trust in relation to the claimed identity of others."

do you believe there is a hierarchy here?

if so, where do you think you rank?

sez me
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 677 • Replies: 5
No top replies

caprice

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:16 pm
Yes, I think a hierarchy of sorts exists.

I think I rate at the bottom of the pile. Mr. Green
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:26 pm
Posting on a bulletin board such as A2K and spouting opinions is much like driving down the highway and giving the finger to the stranger in the other car who cut you off. We are all anonymous and know that we can say whatever outrageous thing we want to the other guy/gal (within limits set by the moderators) without getting punched in the nose.

Here, posters can be whomever they portray themselves to be. While I've only been on A2K for a short time, I've seen statements made by some posters and I can't believe they honestly mean some of the outrageous things they say.

Is there a hierarchy here? I don't know. I haven't been here long enough to give an educated opinion about that. I can say, however, that the last bulletin board I posted on, definately had a hierarchy and an inpenetratible clique. Rolling Eyes

I'm not sure where I fit in yet. I might need to use a shoe horn.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:39 pm
I think different areas have their own hierarchies - depending on how much people know about their area, or, in the chat areas, how engaging and funny and such they are.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:54 pm
dlowan wrote:
I think different areas have their own hierarchies - depending on how much people know about their area, or, in the chat areas, how engaging and funny and such they are.

this sounds true, on a site as large as a2k you should be able to find others of your own ilk and build your own hierarchies.

"ilk" seems to be the word of the day.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 09:32 pm
Bilk that ilk, tote that barge.

Me, I think a2k is pretty good for some camaraderie between people who disagree a lot on any given day.
0 Replies