Vocabulary 'Imminent'

contrex

Tue 30 Apr, 2013 10:46 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I'd say that usage of imminent would confuse most native speakers because of the ambivalent and vague nature of the word unless they really gave it a thought therefore the sentence shouldn't be considered acceptable.

Where has this idea come from? There is nothing ambivalent or vague about the word "imminent". It means "about to happen" or "likely to happen in a very short time" and is a perfectly normal everyday word. Very few native speakers in Britain, at least, would have the slightest trouble with it. Please stop misleading people with this nonsense.

contrex

Tue 30 Apr, 2013 10:48 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

You do not know how to google(qm)

So you feed me bullshit and it is I who am patronized about Google?
contrex

Tue 30 Apr, 2013 10:49 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Yes, I meant Edna.

Edna Edwards? Who's she?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 30 Apr, 2013 12:09 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

I'd say that usage of imminent would confuse most native speakers because of the ambivalent and vague nature of the word unless they really gave it a thought therefore the sentence shouldn't be considered acceptable.

Where has this idea come from? There is nothing ambivalent or vague about the word "imminent". It means "about to happen" or "likely to happen in a very short time" and is a perfectly normal everyday word. Very few native speakers in Britain, at least, would have the slightest trouble with it. Please stop misleading people with this nonsense

The only idiots who would speak this hyperbolic sentence would do so to be deliberately obtuse and allegedly sound quasiliterary at their hipsteresque best.
contrex

Tue 30 Apr, 2013 12:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

The only idiots who would speak this hyperbolic sentence would do so to be deliberately obtuse and allegedly sound quasiliterary at their hipsteresque best.

Bollocks.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 30 Apr, 2013 02:16 pm
@Loh Jane,
Loh Jane wrote:

Hi all,
I am at a loss. Is my sentence acceptable or not?

Yes.

Jane, you might not have intended it, but that's the funniest thing I've read in several days. I am constantly amazed at the discussions and arguments that rise from the simplest questions, and leave the poster with no clue as to the answer.

0 Replies

contrex

Tue 30 Apr, 2013 02:31 pm
Loh Jane wrote:

Hi all,
I am at a loss. Is my sentence acceptable or not?

Quote:
My English tests are imminent.

This sentence is absolutely fine, standard English. There is nothing wrong with it.
0 Replies

contrex

Tue 30 Apr, 2013 03:44 pm
There has been an enormous amount of bullshit excreted in this thread, notably by "Tsar" (serf more like) Steven and JTT. The former, I get the impression, probably does not care about loss of reputation because he has not got any to lose. I was taken aback by the latter's cursory and seemingly uncaring stupidity with the "Dame Edwards" thing. Soberingly, I realised he really is just a troll.
0 Replies

JTT

Tue 30 Apr, 2013 07:33 pm
@contrex,
Quote:

No, I made a mistake. Let me take this moment to apologize. I apologize, Contrex.
contrex

Wed 1 May, 2013 11:39 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

No, I made a mistake. Let me take this moment to apologize. I apologize, Contrex.

Spoken like a man.

0 Replies