AIDS DISCRIMINATES

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 02:54 am
Well, that is a common view of various homophobic folk - like AIDS is god's punishment for unnatural sex.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 02:58 am
dlowan wrote:
Well, that is a common view of various homophobic folk - like AIDS is god's punishment for unnatural sex.

Yeah, but Reality Checker never claimed that.

He just made his inane diatribe and then left, leaving us all wondering what he got his panties in a bunch over....

Too bad he left before getting to his point. It would have been fun.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:05 am
Doesn't he think that there is a homosexual conspiracy to deny the facts of AIDS - presumably for some sort of propaganda purpose?

I never quite got what the point of the conspiracy was supposed to be - maybe to win acceptance for homosexuality, and take over the world? Perhaps by out-breeding us?
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:23 am
dlowan wrote:
Doesn't he think that there is a homosexual conspiracy to deny the facts of AIDS - presumably for some sort of propaganda purpose?

I never quite got what the point of the conspiracy was supposed to be - maybe to win acceptance for homosexuality, and take over the world? Perhaps by out-breeding us?

Heh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:34 am
Actually - I am only half kidding.

My real take on this sort of toxic paranoia is that we, as meaning-seeking creatures, when beset by a feeling, struggle to find a reason for it.

For some reason, some things induce a visceral antipathy/fear in some people - like homosexuality. I think the weird beliefs come about as a way of trying to come up with some seemingly (to the person/people concerned) rational reason for the strong emotion.

This fits with the induction of emotional states in people by stimulating the appropriate part of the brain - the emotion is caused by the stimulation, but the folk being poked always find a reason that makes sense to them for having the emotion, and believe that this is what caused it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 07:58 am
dlowan said
Quote:

ILZ responded
Quote:
Yeah, but Reality Checker never claimed that.

No, and he won't, recognizing that his 'unbiased scientific argument' will be somewhat undercut by the admission.

This is the same stylistic approach we can see in the creation science/design literature, where the theistic 'self-evident truths' are kept out of view.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:21 am
The thread by Medved "debunking" evolution is a perfect example of the technique, Mr. Mountie--i did some digging last night, and found Medved's source at "Creation Science Evangelism Ministry."
0 Replies