waifs and strays

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:47 pm
(1) waifs and strays

I pronounce them as "waifsand strays", that is, put "waifs" and "and" together when pronouncing. Right?

(2) Context:
A for Attitude. The women on Sex and the City attract men because of their attitude, not just their looks. Do you wink at men? Do you give obscene gestures to jerks who honk at you? Because any man who sees you doing so will be smitten. How do you get attitude? Study the lives and movies of Lauren Bacall and Mae West.Those ladies were never hurting for companionship. Much of it had to do with the fact that they knew how to tell men where to go. .

I think "it" in the "much of it" meant "a for attitude". But I'm confused by "Men were scared into loving them". Were the men scared by the ladies who were never hurting for companionship? It seems a contradiction to me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 866 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:54 pm
Re: waifs and strays
oristarA wrote:
(1) waifs and strays

I pronounce them as "waifsand strays", that is, put "waifs" and "and" together when pronouncing. Right?

Never strive for this joint pronnunciation thing, many ESL students try because they see it as a sign of fluency. Thing is, it should be a natural evolution or it'll sound forced.

But since you are asking:

"waifs n' strays"

It's not particular to those words, it's just the way "and" is frequently abbreviated in speech.

Like: "this n' that"

Quote:
But I'm confused by "Men were scared into loving them". Were the men scared by the ladies who were never hurting for companionship? It seems a contradiction to me.

Basically what they are saying (correctly or not) is that men liked the assertive nature of the women.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:57 pm
Hi Craven de Kere,

N' there should be pronounced as "en", that is, "d" in the and could be neglected. Right?

What I got from "Men were scared into loving them" is "Men were too afraid to loving them" -- that is, men dare not loving them." Right?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 10:06 pm
oristarA wrote:
N' there should be pronounced as "en", that is, "d" in the and could be neglected. Right?

Well, it's hard to convey pronnunciation in writing but I think you got it.

Quote:
What I got from "Men were scared into loving them" is "Men were too afraid to loving them" -- that is, men dare not loving them." Right?

Nope. "Scared into VERB" means "made to VERB because of fear".

E.g.

"He was scared into thinking he was going to die."

"I was scared into accepting the contract by the two big guys with clubs."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 10:28 pm
Hmm... in "I was scared into accepting the contract by the two big guys with clubs" , actually "I" was forced into accepting the contract. But, if a man be forced into loving a waman, the love will be unnatural and easy to be broken. So I could not understand what the writer meant.

But no doubt you are correct.

Thanks Craven. Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:22 pm
oristarA wrote:
But, if a man be forced into loving a waman, the love will be unnatural and easy to be broken. So I could not understand what the writer meant.

Yeah, it's intentionally illogical. And it means to imply that those love-stricken men were inherently illogical when it comes to that aspect of love and lust.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:42 pm
Oristar A said:
"N' there should be pronounced as "en", that is"

I would disagree with this.

Do you mean you would pronounce it like the "en" in "hen"? If so that is wrong - for what it is worth - you would certainly be understood though.

The "n" sound in waifs n strays is pronounced like this:

Think of the vowel sounds at the end of "runner", "killer" and "driver" - the "e" sound in "en" is pronounced in the same way. The thing is, it is a vowel sound that lots of English speakers do not know they make!

When I used to have to transcribe English into the phonetical alphabet, during my honours English studies, most of my fellow students could never hear what was actually SAID in such examples - they would transcribe the "e" sound in such words as "driver" as though it was the same as the "er" in "her book".

The vowel sound in "the" is the same.

Ask people to transcribe into phonetics the normal "the " vowel sound, they will write the "the" sound in "The dog" as "thee dog". It is the same "e" sound as the e sound in driver. It IS a "thee" sound in "the" only before a vowel - as in "thee end".

English is weird!

And I have probably just confused you.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 06:11 am
Craven Very Happy , love is an ailment, some scientists say.

Hi dlowan,

I think I could understand most of the meanings you made in your reply. Yes, I am a bit confused by you. I will read it carefully later. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 06:17 am
LOL
ask for clarification where you will
I don't know as I would still get it!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 11:50 am
Hi dlowan,

The standard pronunciation of "and" in "waifs and strays" is the same of "en" in "different". The e here sounds as the same as in "driver", which is different to the pronunciation of e in her. As you have indicated.

But people seem used to pronounce "and" as "n" (the same as en in hen), because they write "waifs and strays" as "waifs n' strays". I guess that might be an informal pronunciation? Smile

Yes, the in infront of vowel sounds different to the in front of a word the starts with consonant.
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 09:27 am
Those ladies were never hurting for companionship. Much of it had to do with the fact that they knew how to tell men where to go. .

The 'it' in 'much of it' is 'never hurting for companionship' - ie, never lacking companionship. I wouldn't assume from this that there was any fear involved - I would assume that the men involved were attracted to assertive women because (unlike with many women) the men feel they will always know where they stand with a woman who is in the habit of showing how she really feels.
0 Replies