Work Space Decorations

Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 02:17 pm
What do you have in your workspace? Whether cubicle, office, desk or other, what personal items do you have that make your space more fun?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,984 • Replies: 19
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:30 pm
A sushi clock, and many small aquatic mammals...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:39 pm
I keep an assortment of inflatable dolls in and around my desk. I have one sitting in a chair in the corner of my office, another perched on the corner of the desk, several stuffed into various drawers, one dangles from the ceiling, another sits on the window ledge.

I have redheads, blondes, brunettes, and one has a shaved head.

Inflatable dolls make wonderful accompaniments to any office setting. They create a festive atmosphere and I truly believe one can accomplish more with these beautiful plastic creatures strewn about in such a haphazard fashion.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:24 pm
Id like to keep the odd ornamental body parts left over from those co-workers and stoppers by I cant seem to get through the wood chipper but, I dont think the boss would go for it so, I have none at all.
Someday I hope to convince the powers that be that its a wonderful thing in decor style for the times.
Im an equal opportunity dismembering type afterall.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:31 pm
(more fool me for giving a true answer...)

How 'bout you, Linkat?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:39 pm
BlackPanther picture 2'x3'
Skull & Cross Bones flag
Skull & Cross Bones - watercolor by a guys 4 yr old kid
Golf Trophy
My CASH cow (gateway)
My Metal Stress Balls
Pictures of Friends in Mexico
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:08 pm
Actually I do have that personal workspace filled with panda bears. Its my softer side. Dont tell anyone.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:09 pm
To my left, paintings and photos on wall at about six foot height. On shelf at about five foot height, teapot and cups. Basket of items like cards to send, little framed photos, small notebooks, postcards people have sent. Kitchen drawer metal mesh tray for flatware (sans flatware) with avery drafting stickers, lipstick, scissors, address return labels, my land arch stamp & ink pad, hair brush, dog toothpaste, hand lotion.

Some old woven holders for cold glasses, without the cold glasses, but with pennies, quarter, dimes and nickels. Blue green ceramic dish with rubber bands. A big book lying flat, the Manet Velasquez show at the NY Met last year.
Just behind that an English painted tin tray, which is in front of a photo of a colored rendering I did long ago.

On floor under long table which is in back of my drafting table and chair (thus, in back of me) is one grimy dog bed in the corner, and two rolling file type "wagons". Between the dog bed and the drafting table under the aforementioned shelf, three galvanized pails of rolled up drawings. On the fin wall that encloses the area, another painting and a framed photo.

An equal sized area with a similar description is where my design partner's drafting table is. The back table that I mentioned extends the twenty foot length to the end of her space, and yes, has another dog bed under it.

Past the 5 ft. high fin walls in the direction the drafting tables are facing is the, uh, library, which is an aisle with a twenty foot long and seven foot high set of book shelves with cd player and speakers, plus reference books on gardens, art, architecture, and some stone samples.

This space and the surrounding ones are light pistachio green, including the library shelves, except for the long back table (white painted hollow doors) and the upper part of the room, which is over fifteen feet high. The last five upper feet are white, as is the ceiling.

Our "office" - computer, scanner, printers, telephones, fax, paper, drawing files, client files, and box turtle plexiglass home are in another little room next door. (We divided an 18 x 85 space ourselves... ). The last little room is the kitchen area, with refrigerator and another white painted hollow door counntertop, electrical box, and closet space. In the back wall of the whole place is a clerestory window we put in, which was actually a door I found at my house, quite narrow with four glass panes. We rebuilt that back wall, another story... the whole building tilted, hah. Anyway, on the sill of that "window" is design partner's shell collection. On the molding under that are some brass hooks for various dog leashes...

The front two rooms are official gallery space, art on walls or
on pedestal boxes. Paintings go all the way back to the kitchen, actually. The front wall facing the street is all glass, including doors (well, mostly, there is wood framing.) Low natural light in the rest of the place, what with the first ten foot high fin wall, which is why the back room lower walls are a color. Neither of us is too fond of greyed out dirty looking white...

I know, I know, too much information..
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:22 pm
My company downsized, so I no longer have a job. However, when I did, I hung a large picture of the World Trade Center with the Statue of Liberty, on one wall of my office. Another wall contained a plaque that said, "What Goes Around, Comes Around." Underneath the large pile of paperwork on my desk, I had a framed picture of my family.

...Down the hall from me, an old guy was fired for having an assortment of inflatable dolls in and around his desk.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:26 pm
So, Gus is just pullin our leg

bout havin a job an all
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 10:12 pm
What is a sushi clock?
My office needs some cleaning up. I keep putting stuff in until it drives me crazy, then I clean it out and go for the minimalist look until I get sick of that. Currently, I have a postcard of my hometown's common, a stuffed ballerina doll (in purple tutu) an Irish flag windsock, a Picasso print which I believe is called "Peace", a heart shaped wreath made of tiny Guatemalan worry dolls (from Unicef) and a chain of cloth birds from Honduras. In addition, I have a couple small plaques with inspirational sayings, and a couple postcards from despair.com. Plus pictures of my boys and some political posters from events I've attended, which I keep hidden behind other stuff but like to have around me. So yeah, it's a mess! but it's my mess. I love my office!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:01 am
http://www.dve.com/images/crazy_stuff/cubicle.jpg
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:15 am
I used to have a Lucky Bamboo plant, but it died. Now I have an assortment of laptops, diskettes, EWeek magazines, keyboards, and mosty, plastic cups. I seem to forget to take them home so I can refill them on the way to work, and they collect at my desk.

Oh, and a popcorn bowl too.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:21 am
My workspace is pretty sterile - I dont believe in having any personal stuff where I work - the only "decorations" on my desk are a display f various awards/citations I have recieved as part of my work.....
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:41 am
1. a sushi clock is a clock given to me years ago, where the 'numbers' are plastic sushi lookalikes. Always time for sushi.

2. Guatam... may we assume that you aren't as out(rageous) at work? Prolly you use a2k to vent... same as I.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:50 am
I live in perpetual fear that my MI5 employers will discover I'm a KGB mole and therefore I keep my desk clear of all personal effects, enabling a faster getaway to the Motherland if things here go tits-up...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:51 am
SealPoet wrote:
2. Guatam... may we assume that you aren't as out(rageous) at work? Prolly you use a2k to vent... same as I.

You are right - people just cant believe how different I am once I am out of office.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:59 am
LOL! My normal office is full of kids' drawings, favourite postcard art, a few prints - and lots of toys that I use for my job - puppets of all descriptions - cute kid-like ones - big mean wolves and dinosaurs - sweet marsupials; - lots of different furry cats - tigers, cheetahs, leopards (representing families - especially foster ones); lovely detailed plastic horses and riders - knights, cowboys, Indians and so on; puzzles, pencils and drawing paper, a toy vacuum cleaner, train and tracks, lots of cars and trucks, dolls - especially wee baby ones to do attachment work with...

Now? I have a few landscape photos on the walls of my cubicle,
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 06:52 am
Well, I work for A2K so I'm at home. Still, there's a windup toy on top of the computer - it's a walking pair of chattering teeth. Plus there are 3 framed posters on the wall: Monet's Woman With a Parasol, Whistler's The White Girl and Whistler's The Lagoon, Venice. There's a copper analog thermometer (it's about 3 inches, circular), bookends with zebras on them and a blue and turquoise clock given to us by my brother. The clock no longer works, but it's pretty.

On the black bookcase behind me, there are 3 pictures: one of my parents; one of RP, our friend A___ and me at my 40th birthday party and one of our nephew, the wonder child. Plus there's a bulletin board with a bunch of stuff on it, including a picture of a dalmatian and another of a gal doing rhythmic gymnastics who has her head throw back so far that she appears to be headless (that's a photo from an article that appeared in the NY Times in 1998). There are sage green tab top curtains on both windows, with white tie backs and unpainted wooden poles.

Er, I think that's everything that one could call decorative; everything else (desk, CD holder, etc.) is functional.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:22 am
Lots of pictures of friends and family, sometimes fresh flowers, an American flag, a Chinese fan, some useless certificates that I received from work along with about 75% of my peers, a couple of pictures of monkeys, so many art projects from my little girl, some making strides and other charitable organizations stuff I have supported, lots of crap from various vendors and other organizations I have been involved with, basically no style what so over, mostly junk (besides the pictures and artwork) that I have accumulated over the years - anything that makes my space a little less corporate looking.
0 Replies