Condi Rice now agrees to meet with 9/11 commission

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 02:02 pm
just heard on MSNBC that Condi now requests to meet with the commission Privately and Not under oath.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,363 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Titus

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 02:10 pm
Yes, I heard it too.

Condi "weasel" Rice has requested yet another meeting before those meanies on the 9/11 Commission.

But, Rice STILL REFUSES TO APPEAR IN PUBLIC.

I don't know what she's afraid of -- after all, she's already viewed suspiciously by many Americans. Especially, the families and friends of those who perished on 9/11, so what does she have to lose?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 02:13 pm
as Ashcroft might say in defending the Patriot Act, if she has nothing to hide, then why not under oath?"
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 02:29 pm
dyslexia:

Touche!

But as we know so well: the rules that apply to the rest of us don't apply to George "aWol" Bush and his cabal.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:04 pm
My former GF's mother, who was on Condi's dissertation commitee has two words to describe Ms. Rice: Opportunistic and Bitch! Shocked
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:06 pm
You're just bitter because she turned you down for the prom.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:13 pm
McGentrix wrote:
You're just bitter because she turned you down for the prom.

This is exactly the sort of stupid comment I expect from someone who is such a characature of the white trash mediocre "American." Grow up!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:16 pm
If you can't restrain your idiocy, maybe you should take a break and go elsewhere.

Oh, and it's spelled "caricature".
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:21 pm
McGentrix, I was relaying the comments of someone who knew Rice very well for seven years! You were engaging in your usual unproductive name calling. What has you so pissed off today, did your right hand and your left hand turn you down again?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:23 pm
How come Condi Rice gets to determine how she testifies. Why can't they subpoena her?

(I know they can't, but I can fantasize...)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:26 pm
Can they not subpoena her?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:34 pm
Well, I'm guessing not, since she seems to be able to pick and choose the terms of her testimony...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:38 pm
hobitbob wrote:
McGentrix, I was relaying the comments of someone who knew Rice very well for seven years! You were engaging in your usual unproductive name calling. What has you so pissed off today, did your right hand and your left hand turn you down again?

And I was making a joke that went over your head apparently. You commenced the name calling in your typical fashion.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:38 pm
I just wish to know what the precedent is that prevents her from testifying? My understanding of the subject (limited as it is) is that the notion of "executive privilege" only apply to the president and vice president.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:39 pm
They can subpena her.
They are weak and don't have the spine to do so. This 911 commission is a whitewash.. The only reason it is operating at all is on the insistence of family members of perished 911 people. The Bush Admin. fought hard not to have this commission and stonewalled it when it was formed. They knew it would bode badly for them if the commission was actually going to get at the details of the truth.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:53 pm
Re: Condi Rice now agrees to meet with 9/11 commission
dyslexia wrote:
just heard on MSNBC that Condi now requests to meet with the commission Privately and Not under oath.

Dr. Rice, the National Security Advisor, who is one of the most important public servants in the nation, has agreed to testify, but only:

a) In private

b) Without taking an Oath

This is intolerable.

I am still waiting for a rational explaination - no, fuck it, any explanation - for this.

Every administration has a unique dynamic. What we know about the Bush administration indicates that five people - Rumsfeld, Powell, Cheney, Tenet, and Rice - exerted tremendous influence of Bush's decisions. Two of these people - Cheney and Rice - were particularly influential, in that they were charged with sifting through information and presenting Bush with what they felt were reasonable policy options for him to choose from. Consider the comments of James Fallows, in an objective and comprehensive analysis he wrote in the Jan/Fed issue of Atlantic Monthly:

Quote:

Condolezza Rice played a vital role in the decisions leading up to war. The fact that she is avoiding taking a vow, and avoiding testifying in public, is absolutely deplorable. Rarely have I seen such a blatent lack of accountability and transparency in government.

I can think of no reason she would refuse to take an Oath. Can anybody?

The obvious question is why has she taken this route?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:11 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Can they not subpoena her?

I think they can not. She has "executive" priveledge since she is a memeber of the current administration.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:12 pm
Logic?
Zbignew Brezinsky (Carter) and Sandy Berger (Clinton) as NSAs that testified in public session under oath to Congress.

I believe that she has no legal claim not to testify in public under oath. The White House Criminals don't want her to do so for fear of the actual truth to emerge. She wouldn't be able to tell lies and half truths and spin the crap as she is doing on TV because then she could be criminal charged as well as going down in history as a freakin' traitor.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:25 pm
What does it mean to testify without taking an oath? It's OK to lie?

Nothing new for Condi, I guess. This must just formalize things...
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:54 pm
If she appears all over the media - then she can appear publicly under oath before the commission.

Ugliness starts from within. Remember when your mom used to tell you if you made a face, your face would freeze like that. Condi Rice is proof.
0 Replies