Fellow Bostonians: How many of us wished we had an assault weapon last night?

InfraBlue

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 01:17 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
It's inferred. Like what you're doing with disease and tobacco use.

Inferring something that isn't true doesn't change the fact that it isn't true.

It your opinion that it isn't true, much like the tobacco companies' opinion about disease and tobacco use.

InfraBlue wrote:
I didn't say anything about a "revolutionary breakthrough that dramatically turns a rifle into an especially dangerous gun." I said these features make a rifle especially dangerous.

"dramatically turns a rifle into an especially dangerous gun"

"make a rifle especially dangerous"

Come on now. Those two phrases say the same thing.
[/quote]
You forgot the modifier "revolutionary." No they don't. What's more those are not my words, they're Glennn's. Stick to what I wrote, not Glennn's straw man arguments.
oralloy

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 01:18 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
In regard to these weapons, it means "more effective."

I've yet to see any evidence that these features have a noticeable impact on the effectiveness of a weapon.

But even if such evidence is forthcoming, merely being more effective does not create a compelling government interest in restricting a weapon.

InfraBlue wrote:
You've written something altogether different than your initial comparison.

That is incorrect. I wrote the same thing.

InfraBlue wrote:
You're constantly changing the goal posts, as it were.
You change the goal posts.

I've not changed any goal posts. I merely asked you to justify why it would matter that someone uses a flash suppressor verses some other method.
InfraBlue

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 01:28 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

It's not self evident. The military could have chosen those guns for a reason completely unrelated to the presence of a pistol grip.

I'm not saying the military chose these guns because of the presence of pistol grips. I'm saying the military implements pistol grips on these guns.
InfraBlue

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 01:33 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
In regard to these weapons, it means "more effective."

I've yet to see any evidence that these features have a noticeable impact on the effectiveness of a weapon.

But even if such evidence is forthcoming, merely being more effective does not create a compelling government interest in restricting a weapon.

A compelling government interest was irrelevant in the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
You've written something altogether different than your initial comparison.

That is incorrect. I wrote the same thing.

No you didn't.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
You're constantly changing the goal posts, as it were.
You change the goal posts.

I've not changed any goal posts. I merely asked you to justify why it would matter that someone uses a flash suppressor verses some other method.

Exactly, you're making the comparison, "a flash suppressor verses some other method," not I.
Glennn

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 09:24 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
It's not "to give the willies," as Glennn would have us believe?

It does give some people the willies, and you are one of those people. The fact remains that I have asked you repeatedly to explain how a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes it especially dangerous. And the only thing you've offered in response is your insistence that a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes that rifle more accurate and facilitates a more rapid rate of fire. However, when pressed to support that claim, you basically say: it just does.

I would suggest that you hunt down side-by-side comparisons of rifles with and without a pistol-grip that would actually prove that what you say is true concerning rate of fire and improved accuracy. Otherwise you're left with nothing but your unproven claim that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous. I would assume that the anti-gun folks would have by now done such a comparison in order to show that they are not nuts obsessed with pistol-grips. You should probably hunt down one of those side-by-side comparisons and post it so that you don't look like just another hysterically obsessed nut with nothing but your word to show that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous.

I doubt that even the cops are all that worried about rifles with pistol-grips.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Two women were shot outside a South Carolina State University residential building, according to university officials. Their injuries were not life-threatening. Witnesses told investigators some kind of argument or fight happened off-campus between multiple people. Those people then came onto the SCSU campus, he said. Police are working to identify the gunman and determine whether they have any connection to the university, Clark said. A student who says she was wounded said it began as an argument between two males that led to shots being fired.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, is this your idea of school children being slaughtered, and a reason to ban guns?
InfraBlue

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 02:16 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
It's not "to give the willies," as Glennn would have us believe?

It does give some people the willies, and you are one of those people.
You're wrong, they don't give me the willies. The military failed in their purpose for these features, as you would have us believe.

Glennn wrote:
The fact remains that I have asked you repeatedly to explain how a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes it especially dangerous. And the only thing you've offered in response is your insistence that a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes that rifle more accurate and facilitates a more rapid rate of fire. However, when pressed to support that claim, you basically say: it just does.

You're wrong. I'm not saying "it just does." I'm saying that I've inferred my conclusion by judging the evidence.

Glennn wrote:
I would suggest that you hunt down side-by-side comparisons of rifles with and without a pistol-grip that would actually prove that what you say is true concerning rate of fire and improved accuracy. Otherwise you're left with nothing but your unproven claim that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous. I would assume that the anti-gun folks would have by now done such a comparison in order to show that they are not nuts obsessed with pistol-grips. You should probably hunt down one of those side-by-side comparisons and post it so that you don't look like just another hysterically obsessed nut with nothing but your word to show that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous.

Yes sir.

On the other hand, try looking for information that the military implements these features to "give the willies," as you would have us believe.

Glennn wrote:
I doubt that even the cops are all that worried about rifles with pistol-grips.

They're worried about assault weapons in general.
Glennn

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 03:54 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
The military failed in their purpose for these features, as you would have us believe.

Now you're back to deciding that rifles with pistol-grips should be banned because there are pistol-grips on military rifles. You've made a mountain out of a mole hill with your irrational fear of pistol-grips. Making a rifle more ergonomically correct doesn't make it any faster or more accurate. And as if to drive that very point home, here you are again, still unable to present anything that would validate your irrational fear of pistol-grips.
Quote:
I'm not saying "it just does." I'm saying that I've inferred my conclusion by judging the evidence.

Right. And you have yet to bring any of this evidence you speak of to the table, which translates to you saying: it just does.
Quote:
try looking for information that the military implements these features to "give the willies," as you would have us believe.

Not a very good attempt at a turn around. You are the one who has claimed that a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes that rifle especially dangerous. So the onus is on you to prove that a pistol-grip makes a rifle faster and more accurate. So produce something to back that up.
Quote:
try looking for information that the military implements these features to "give the willies," as you would have us believe.

Not a very good attempt at a turn around. You are the one who has claimed that a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes that rifle especially dangerous. So the onus is on you to prove that a pistol-grip makes a rifle faster and more accurate. So produce something to back that up.
Quote:

Well yeah. And they have a right be worried about automatic weapons in the hands of civilians. That's why they're illegal. However, we're talking about rifles with pistol-grips. And the cops aren't much worried about pistol-grips on rifles.
InfraBlue

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 05:11 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
The military failed in their purpose for these features, as you would have us believe.

Now you're back to deciding that rifles with pistol-grips should be banned because there are pistol-grips on military rifles. You've made a mountain out of a mole hill with your irrational fear of pistol-grips. Making a rifle more ergonomically correct doesn't make it any faster or more accurate. And as if to drive that very point home, here you are again, still unable to present anything that would validate your irrational fear of pistol-grips.

I'm not deciding that at all. You've completely mischaracterized what I wrote. Go back and re-read. Also, I have no irrational fear or otherwise, of pistol grips.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:
I'm not saying "it just does." I'm saying that I've inferred my conclusion by judging the evidence.

Right. And you have yet to bring any of this evidence you speak of to the table, which translates to you saying: it just does.

Says you.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

This isn't a one way street. I've provided my inferences. Back up your assertions.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

Well yeah. And they have a right be worried about automatic weapons in the hands of civilians. That's why they're illegal. However, we're talking about rifles with pistol-grips. And the cops aren't much worried about pistol-grips on rifles.

No, try keeping up. They're worried about assault weapons, e.g. AR-15's, semiauto AK-47's, SKS's, etc. Automatic weapons are rare, so they're not as worrisome as assault weapons.
Glennn

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 06:05 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
I have no irrational fear or otherwise, of pistol grips.

I see. So, whereas you believe that they make a rifle especially dangerous to the extent that you want them banned, you have no fear of them. I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that you do.
Quote:
Says who?

No one has to say it. Your lack of proof that a pistol grip increases accuracy and rate of fire speaks for itself.
Quote:
This isn't a one way street. I've provided my inferences. Back up your assertions.

Inferences does not constitute proof. A person shooting a semiautomatic rifle without a pistol-grip can pull the trigger only so fast. You believe that a shift of the wrist will allow a shooter to pull the trigger faster. You have shown nothing to back up that claim. Instead, you are asking me to prove that a person shooting a semiautomatic rifle without a pistol-grip can shoot just as fast as a person shooting a semiautomatic rifle with a pistol-grip. So, you see how silly your position is?

And just to further expose the silliness of your position, let's assume that someone shooting a rifle with a pistol-grip can get off an extra two or three shots in fifteen seconds. Give me a scenario of a past shooting in which you believe that extra two or three shots in fifteen seconds justifies banning pistol-grips. But first, tell me how many more shots in fifteen seconds you believe a pistol-grip affords a shooter and how you arrived at that number.
Quote:
No, try keeping up. They're worried about assault weapons, e.g. AR-15's, semiauto AK-47's, SKS's, etc. Automatic weapons are rare, so they're not as worrisome as assault weapons.

First of all, you're engaging in that mindless exercise of incorrectly defining an assault weapon, and then repeating it ad nauseum. Even most anti-gun proponents know enough to call semiautomatic rifles with pistol-grips assault style weapons. They acknowledge the fact that the rifle is in the style of an assault weapon, but does not function as one.

Here is a survey of law enforcement personnel concerning their answers to questions about concealed carry, AR-15s, etc. They don't seem to share your irrational fear of pistol-grips.

https://radioviceonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/2013-law-enforcement-survey.pdf

InfraBlue

Fri 6 Dec, 2019 05:06 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
I have no irrational fear or otherwise, of pistol grips.

I see. So, whereas you believe that they make a rifle especially dangerous to the extent that you want them banned, you have no fear of them. I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that you do.

Your opinion is duly noted. You're incorrect, however.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:
Says who?

No one has to say it. Your lack of proof that a pistol grip increases accuracy and rate of fire speaks for itself.

Like I said, says you.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

Inferences does not constitute proof.

Inferences are good enough for the CDC. They're good enough for me.

Glennn wrote:
A person shooting a semiautomatic rifle without a pistol-grip can pull the trigger only so fast. You believe that a shift of the wrist will allow a shooter to pull the trigger faster. You have shown nothing to back up that claim. Instead, you are asking me to prove that a person shooting a semiautomatic rifle without a pistol-grip can shoot just as fast as a person shooting a semiautomatic rifle with a pistol-grip. So, you see how silly your position is?

My but your reading comprehension is lacking. I'm not asking you to prove that a person shooting a semiautomatic rifle without a pistol-grip can shoot just as fast as a person shooting a semiautomatic rifle with a pistol-grip. I'm asking you to back up your assertion that the military implements features such as pistol grips on their weaponry "because it gives the willies," as you would have us believe.

Glennn wrote:
And just to further expose the silliness of your position, let's assume that someone shooting a rifle with a pistol-grip can get off an extra two or three shots in fifteen seconds. Give me a scenario of a past shooting in which you believe that extra two or three shots in fifteen seconds justifies banning pistol-grips. But first, tell me how many more shots in fifteen seconds you believe a pistol-grip affords a shooter and how you arrived at that number.

It sounds like you could use a calculator.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

First of all, you're engaging in that mindless exercise of incorrectly defining an assault weapon, and then repeating it ad nauseum. Even most anti-gun proponents know enough to call semiautomatic rifles with pistol-grips assault style weapons. They acknowledge the fact that the rifle is in the style of an assault weapon, but does not function as one.

I'm going by the definition provided in the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, thank you very much.

Glennn wrote:
Here is a survey of law enforcement personnel concerning their answers to questions about concealed carry, AR-15s, etc. They don't seem to share your irrational fear of pistol-grips.

https://radioviceonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/2013-law-enforcement-survey.pdf

Thanks for the link.
Glennn

Sat 7 Dec, 2019 02:01 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
You're incorrect, however.

No I'm not. You say that rifles with pistol-grips are especially dangerous; so dangerous in fact that you want them banned. And in the same breath you say that you have no fear of them. You honestly don't hear yourself and your contradictory statements.
Quote:
. . . says you.

Yes, I did say it. And I said it because it is true that your lack of proof that a pistol grip increases accuracy and rate of fire speaks for itself.
Quote:

Your inferences concerning the special dangerousness of rifles with pistol-grips is based on nothing tangible. Your only argument is: Well the military uses rifles with pistol-grips, and that has to count for something. But it doesn't. If it did, you'd have produced something objective to prove your point by now. On the other hand, the CDC's claim that smoking accounts for the vast majority of lung cancer deaths is based on objective numbers.

For instance:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

. . . based on an analysis similar to that reported here, the lifetime risk of death from lung cancer among male never, former, and current smokers in the United Kingdom was calculated as 0.2 percent, 5.5 percent, and 15.9 percent, respectively, reaching 24.4 percent among heavy smokers (>5 cigarettes/day)..
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/164/12/1233/76936
Quote:
I'm not asking you to prove that a person shooting a semiautomatic rifle without a pistol-grip can shoot just as fast as a person shooting a semiautomatic rifle with a pistol-grip. I'm asking you to back up your assertion that the military implements features such as pistol grips on their weaponry "because it gives the willies," as you would have us believe.

No. You would have us believe that there are pistol-grips on military rifles because they make the rifle especially dangerous. If you could provide something from the military--or anyone--stating that pistol-grips on rifles make them especially dangerous, which, according to you, means that they increase the rate of fire and accuracy, then you'd be believable.
Quote:

Actually it sounds like you need to accept the fact that you're unable to provide an example of an instance in which a pistol-grip proved to make a rifle especially dangerous. Fact is, you have no proof that a pistol-grip makes a rifle faster and more accurate.
Quote:
I'm going by the definition provided in the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, thank you very much.

Yes, someone changed the definition of assault weapon to include the presence of a pistol-grip and flash suppressor without justifying that change. They are much like you, in that they, too, are unable to explain how a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous. That's why only seven states banned the AR-15.

You're appealing to those who are as much in the dark as you are when it come to the difference between style and function, and who are just as mute as you when it comes to explaining their position.
Quote:
Thanks for the link.

Of course.

Over 15,000 police professionals were surveyed. Here is part of what the survey shows:

What effect do you think the passage of the White House’s currently proposed legislation would have in improving police officer safety?

86% of respondents say passage will have no impact or a negative impact on officer safety. One of four think additional gun-control measures will make their job more difficult and have a negative impact on their safety.

What effect do you think a federal ban on manufacture and sale of some semi-automatic firearms, termed by some as “assault weapons,” would have on reducing violent crime?

Almost 92% off officers think a ban on the manufacture and sale of “assault weapons” will have no effect – or a negative effect – on reducing violent crime.

Do you think a federal ban on manufacture and sale of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds would reduce violent crime?

96% of respondents answered No.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Two women were shot outside a South Carolina State University residential building, according to university officials. Their injuries were not life-threatening. Witnesses told investigators some kind of argument or fight happened off-campus between multiple people. Those people then came onto the SCSU campus, he said. Police are working to identify the gunman and determine whether they have any connection to the university, Clark said. A student who says she was wounded said it began as an argument between two males that led to shots being fired.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, is this your idea of school children being slaughtered, and a reason to ban guns?
InfraBlue

Sun 8 Dec, 2019 01:02 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
You're incorrect, however.

No I'm not. You say that rifles with pistol-grips are especially dangerous; so dangerous in fact that you want them banned. And in the same breath you say that you have no fear of them. You honestly don't hear yourself and your contradictory statements.

Yes, you're incorrect. You're all over the place with your ridiculous accusations. To clarify pistol grips do not give me "the willies." I do not have an irrational fear of pistol grips. I do not fear pistol grips.

What should be banned are weapons defined by the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act. Pistol grips are but one feature of some of these weapons.

Do cigarrettes give you "the willies"? Do you have an irrational fear of cigarettes? Do you fear cigarettes?

Glennn wrote:
Quote:
. . . says you.

Yes, I did say it. And I said it because it is true that your lack of proof that a pistol grip increases accuracy and rate of fire speaks for itself.

It speaks much better than your claim that the military implements features such as pistol grips in their weaponry "because it give the willies," however.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

Your inferences concerning the special dangerousness of rifles with pistol-grips is based on nothing tangible. Your only argument is: Well the military uses rifles with pistol-grips, and that has to count for something. But it doesn't. If it did, you'd have produced something objective to prove your point by now.

It's merely your contention that the use of pistol grips by the military counts for nothing. It counts for much more than your contention that the use of pistol grips by the military counts for the "the giving of the willies," and your inability to produce something objective to prove your point.

Glennn wrote:
On the other hand, the CDC's claim that smoking accounts for the vast majority of lung cancer deaths is based on objective numbers.
For instance:

. . . based on an analysis similar to that reported here, the lifetime risk of death from lung cancer among male never, former, and current smokers in the United Kingdom was calculated as 0.2 percent, 5.5 percent, and 15.9 percent, respectively, reaching 24.4 percent among heavy smokers (>5 cigarettes/day)..

https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/164/12/1233/76936

Yeah, they use these objective numbers to arrive at their inferred conclusions.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:
I'm not asking you to prove that a person shooting a semiautomatic rifle without a pistol-grip can shoot just as fast as a person shooting a semiautomatic rifle with a pistol-grip. I'm asking you to back up your assertion that the military implements features such as pistol grips on their weaponry "because it gives the willies," as you would have us believe.

No. You would have us believe that there are pistol-grips on military rifles because they make the rifle especially dangerous. If you could provide something from the military--or anyone--stating that pistol-grips on rifles make them especially dangerous, which, according to you, means that they increase the rate of fire and accuracy, then you'd be believable.

Yes, I'm asking you to back up your assertion that the military implements features such as pistol grips on their weaponry "because it gives the willies," as you would have us believe.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

Actually it sounds like you need to accept the fact that you're unable to provide an example of an instance in which a pistol-grip proved to make a rifle especially dangerous. Fact is, you have no proof that a pistol-grip makes a rifle faster and more accurate.

Actually, it sound like you can't come up with proof that the military implements features such as pistol grips in their weaponry "to give the willies."

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

Yes, someone changed the definition of assault weapon to include the presence of a pistol-grip and flash suppressor without justifying that change. They are much like you, in that they, too, are unable to explain how a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous. That's why only seven states banned the AR-15.

No, the legislators were referring to specific weapons that include those that are based on military weapons.

Those seven states ban different types of assault weapons, not only AR-15's. Before the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act expired, all states banned all assault weapons as defined by that law.

Glennn wrote:
You're appealing to those who are as much in the dark as you are when it come to the difference between style and function, and who are just as mute as you when it comes to explaining their position.

No. The legislators knew exactly what they were banning and why. These weapons are based on military ones, ones that have the purpose of being used effectively against human beings.

That you attempt to obfuscate ridiculous notions of style against function only reveals their disingenuousness behind your anti-regulation, gun nut fanaticism.
Glennn

Sun 8 Dec, 2019 05:11 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
I do not fear pistol grips.

Sure you do. You've given yourself over to the mystique that others have assigned to them. You believe that they make a rifle especially dangerous with nothing to validate that fear.
Quote:

It speaks much better than your claim that the military implements features such as pistol grips in their weaponry "because it give the willies," however.

You have shown absolutely nothing objective to validate your baseless claim that pistol-grips make a rifle more accurate and increase its rate of fire. So far your only answer is that the military uses rifles with pistol-grips. You're going to have to produce something that shows that a shooter with a rifle that has a pistol-grip will shoot more people because of that pistol-grip. Your problem is that you've taken an ergonomic improvement and attached magical powers to it. So have you found any statements from the military or encyclopedias or anyone who doesn't share your hysterical position to support your belief in the magical powers of the pistol-grip? Of course you didn't.

You have become hysterical in your assessment of just what a shift of the wrist will do for as shooter. Perhaps if the shooter had some kind of arthritic condition that limited their wrist movement, you would not sound so hysterical. But so far, you've failed to show what that shift of the wrist will do for the rifle. So, if we delve a little further into this belief of yours, what does it say regarding how many more shots a rifle with a pistol-grip will afford a shooter in a ten second timeframe? Or better yet, tell us of just one incident in which that demonic shift of the wrist obviously resulted in more deaths. That's the basis of your hysterics, so you should be able to provide an example. But you won't because you can't. But that won't stop you from repeating it in the hope that if you repeat the lie often enough, it will become reality.
Quote:
It's merely your contention that the use of pistol grips by the military counts for nothing.

No. It's your contention that pistol-grips on military rifles count for something. If it really does, then bring me the data, the study, or ANYTHING to show that it counts for something. You are going off the deep end in your quest to make a monster out of that shift of the wrist.
Quote:
What should be banned are weapons defined by the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act.

Uh, yeah, I've already mentioned that 43 states recognize the hysterics of people like yourself who've assigned a silly mystique to the pistol grip, and they've not banned it.
Quote:

Yes, and you have no objective numbers to arrive at your inferred conclusion. You see the difference there?

Actually, the CDC's numbers prove what they say. Based on the numbers, the lifetime risk of death from lung cancer among male never, former, and current smokers in the United Kingdom was calculated as 0.2 percent, 5.5 percent, and 15.9 percent, respectively, reaching 24.4 percent among heavy smokers (>5 cigarettes/day). Now all you have to do is show the numbers that back up your claim that pistol-grips on rifles increased the number of deaths during shooting incidents. Remember that you will need to point us to whatever it is that convinced you that it's true. Hysterics don't count for anything.
Quote:
Actually, it sound like you can't come up with proof that the military implements features such as pistol grips in their weaponry "to give the willies."

You sound like you're getting ready to give some numbers to justify your hysterics concerning how much deadlier a rifle with pistol-grips is. But from past experience, we know that that's just you making noise again.
Quote:
all states banned all assault weapons as defined by that law.

Well then it sounds like I can't own an AR-15 if it has a pistol-grip. Correct?
InfraBlue

Mon 9 Dec, 2019 03:48 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
I do not fear pistol grips.

Sure you do. You've given yourself over to the mystique that others have assigned to them. You believe that they make a rifle especially dangerous with nothing to validate that fear.

No, I don't.

No, I haven't.

I believe that they along with other features make a rifle especially dangerous because they and other features are implemented in military weaponry to make them especially dangerous, and not "to give the willies," as you would have us believe.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

You have shown absolutely nothing objective to validate your baseless claim that pistol-grips make a rifle more accurate and increase its rate of fire.

You've shown absolutely nothing objective to validate your baseless claim that the military has incorporated pistol grips and other features in their weaponry "to give the willies."

Glennn wrote:
Your problem is that you've taken an ergonomic improvement and attached magical powers to it. So have you found any statements from the military or encyclopedias or anyone who doesn't share your hysterical position to support your belief in the magical powers of the pistol-grip? Of course you didn't.

You're the one banging on about magic, not I. Talk about hysterics.

Glennn wrote:
You have become hysterical in your assessment of just what a shift of the wrist will do for as shooter. Perhaps if the shooter had some kind of arthritic condition that limited their wrist movement, you would not sound so hysterical.

You bringing up arthritic conditions is what is hysterical.

Glennn wrote:
Or better yet, tell us of just one incident in which that demonic shift of the wrist obviously resulted in more deaths. That's the basis of your hysterics, so you should be able to provide an example. But you won't because you can't. But that won't stop you from repeating it in the hope that if you repeat the lie often enough, it will become reality.

Now demons? Talk about hysterics.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:
It's merely your contention that the use of pistol grips by the military counts for nothing.

No. It's your contention that pistol-grips on military rifles count for something.

Oh yeah, It's your contention that pistol grips on military rifles count for "giving the willies." Right.

Glennn wrote:
If it really does, then bring me the data, the study, or ANYTHING to show that it counts for something. You are going off the deep end in your quest to make a monster out of that shift of the wrist.

Monsters now. In regard to reality, can you say "delusional"?

Glennn wrote:
Quote:
What should be banned are weapons defined by the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act.

Uh, yeah, I've already mentioned that 43 states recognize the hysterics of people like yourself who've assigned a silly mystique to the pistol grip, and they've not banned it.

The ban wasn't about pistol grips, it was about assault weapons.

This law, or a law along its lines will pass through congress again. I don't know when, but it will.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

Yes, and you have no objective numbers to arrive at your inferred conclusion. You see the difference there?

Yeah, I'm sure the military has the numbers, though. Obtaining them is the rub.

Glennn wrote:
Actually, the CDC's numbers prove what they say. Based on the numbers, the lifetime risk of death from lung cancer among male never, former, and current smokers in the United Kingdom was calculated as 0.2 percent, 5.5 percent, and 15.9 percent, respectively, reaching 24.4 percent among heavy smokers (>5 cigarettes/day).

The numbers indicate a cause and effect relationship. They don't prove it. Their conclusions are are arrived at inferentially.

Glennn wrote:
Hysterics don't count for anything.

Like talk about magic, demons, and monsters, and arthritic conditions. Exactly.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

You sound like you're getting ready to give some numbers to justify your hysterics concerning how much deadlier a rifle with pistol-grips is. But from past experience, we know that that's just you making noise again.

Is sounds like you're not getting ready to give anything to justify your hysterical assertion that the military implements features such as pistol grips "to give the willies." We know that that's just you and your proclivity for blowing hot air.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:
all states banned all assault weapons as defined by that law.

Well then it sounds like I can't own an AR-15 if it has a pistol-grip. Correct?

No. The law didn't go far enough. It merely banned the manufacture of these weapons from the date the law was enacted, September 13, 1994. It grandfathered these weapons manufactured before that date.
Glennn

Mon 9 Dec, 2019 05:25 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
I believe that they along with other features make a rifle especially dangerous because they and other features are implemented in military weaponry to make them especially dangerous

Yes, and your assumption concerning the magical implications of that shift of the wrist when holding a rifle will remain in the realm of belief as long as you continue to offer nothing to support that belief.
Quote:
You've shown absolutely nothing objective to validate your baseless claim that the military has incorporated pistol grips and other features in their weaponry "to give the willies."

You are again trying to shift the burden proof onto me. A rifle is dangerous; no one is contesting that. However, you are making the claim that a pistol-grip makes it especially dangerous without providing anything to prove it, meaning that you could find no study, no statements, or anything from the military to support your hysterical belief in the magical powers of the pistol-grip?
Quote:
You're the one banging on about magic.

You seem to have lost your focus. You are the one who has assigned magical powers to a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle. I hold no belief in such magic.
Quote:

When you regain your focus, you will understand that I brought up the condition of arthritis to offer the only situation in which a pistol-grip would prove to be effective in increasing a rifle's rate of fire and perhaps accuracy. I was making fun of your hysterical ideas concerning a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle.
Quote:
Now demons?

Well, one would be hard-pressed to explain your hysterical ideas concerning the powers of the pistol grip without evoking some way-out-there concept like demonic possession. Of course, all you have to do is tell us of just one incident in which that demonic shift of the wrist resulted in more deaths. You might start by telling us how many more shots a rifle with a pistol-grip will afford a shooter in a ten second timeframe.
Quote:
Oh yeah, It's your contention that pistol grips on military rifles count for "giving the willies." Right.

No. It gives you the willies. No one else here shares your apprehension when it comes to a pistol-grip on a rifle.
Quote:

Delusional is a good word to use to describe a person who makes a monster out of a simple shift of the wrist when holding a rifle.
Quote:

But you said that pistol-grips make a rifle especially dangerous. An AR-15 has a pistol-grip. Therefore, according to your beliefs, a pistol-grip turns a rifle into an assault rifle. And you hold this belief despite your lack of proof that it causes a shooter to fire faster and more accurately.
Quote:
This law, or a law along its lines will pass through congress again.

It's like I said: 43 out of 50 states do not share your hysterical, unproven belief that a shift of the wrist increases accuracy and rate of fire. One would think that forcing you to confront the fact that you can't come up with even one incident in which that shift of the wrist resulted in more deaths would cause you to rethink this mystique you've created in your mind around the pistol-grip.
Quote:
I'm sure the military has the numbers, though.

Sure. We'll just go with your belief in your sureness.
Quote:

Those words describe your concept of how a pistol-grip effects a rifle. Those things don't exist, much like your proof that a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle results in more deaths.
Quote:
Is sounds like you're not getting ready to give anything to justify your hysterical assertion that the military implements features such as pistol grips "to give the willies."

I don't have to justify my opposition to what you have yet to prove. So far, we have your assurance that the military has the numbers to prove that your hysterics concerning pistol-grips is well founded. The truth is that a pistol-grip does not increase accuracy or rate of fire. The military has no numbers to help you because they don't exist. You're going to have to accept that fact, or try to convince us with your assurance.
Quote:
No. The law didn't go far enough. It merely banned the manufacture of these weapons from the date the law was enacted, September 13, 1994. It grandfathered these weapons manufactured before that date.

So what you're saying is that I can't go out and buy an AR-15 today? Because ya know, if I can, then that means that you were also confused when you said that all states banned all assault weapons as defined by that law.
RABEL222

Mon 9 Dec, 2019 05:33 pm
@Glennn,
Putting your slant on what she said and changing the meaning of her statement makes you almost as big a liar as Ollie. Post on. I'm sure you will be as big a previcator as Ollie in a few more posts.
InfraBlue

Tue 10 Dec, 2019 02:41 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
I believe that they along with other features make a rifle especially dangerous because they and other features are implemented in military weaponry to make them especially dangerous

Yes, and your assumption concerning the magical implications of that shift of the wrist when holding a rifle will remain in the realm of belief as long as you continue to offer nothing to support that belief.

There's nothing magical about ergonomic improvements in the military's weaponry that "gives the willies."

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

You are again trying to shift the burden proof onto me.

You're the one making the claim that the military has incorporated pistol grips and other features in their weaponry "to give the willies.".

Glennn wrote:
Quote:
You're the one banging on about magic.

You seem to have lost your focus. You are the one who has assigned magical powers to a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle. I hold no belief in such magic.

You've lost your focus seeing as how you are the one banging on about magic.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

When you regain your focus, you will understand that I brought up the condition of arthritis to offer the only situation in which a pistol-grip would prove to be effective in increasing a rifle's rate of fire and perhaps accuracy. I was making fun of your hysterical ideas concerning a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle.

It's a pretty ridiculous straw man argument to talk about arthritis as a reason for the military to incorporate pistol grips on their weaponry. It merely reveals the emptiness of your argument.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:
Now demons?

Well, one would be hard-pressed to explain your hysterical ideas concerning the powers of the pistol grip without evoking some way-out-there concept like demonic possession. Of course, all you have to do is tell us of just one incident in which that demonic shift of the wrist resulted in more deaths. You might start by telling us how many more shots a rifle with a pistol-grip will afford a shooter in a ten second timeframe.

The hysteria is yours seeing as you're the one going on about magic, demons, monsters, and "giving the willies." Try to get it together, man. Get over your gun zealotry. It's not good for your psyche.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:

No. It gives you the willies. No one else here shares your apprehension when it comes to a pistol-grip on a rifle.

No. Pistol grips do not give me "the willies." What's giving me the willies is your psychotic obsession with pistol grips and AR-15 rifles. Get a grip, man.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

Delusional is a good word to use to describe a person who makes a monster out of a simple shift of the wrist when holding a rifle.

You're the one banging on about monsters. Really, your obsession is not good for you.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

But you said that pistol-grips make a rifle especially dangerous. An AR-15 has a pistol-grip. Therefore, according to your beliefs, a pistol-grip turns a rifle into an assault rifle. And you hold this belief despite your lack of proof that it causes a shooter to fire faster and more accurately.

You're not keeping up. The ban was about assault weapons, not assault rifles. Automatic weapons are already virtually banned.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:
This law, or a law along its lines will pass through congress again.

It's like I said: 43 out of 50 states do not share your hysterical, unproven belief that a shift of the wrist increases accuracy and rate of fire. One would think that forcing you to confront the fact that you can't come up with even one incident in which that shift of the wrist resulted in more deaths would cause you to rethink this mystique you've created in your mind around the pistol-grip.

Your straw man argument is one thing, the reality of what the public wants is entirely another thing. The public will have its way.
Glennn wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure the military has the numbers, though.

Sure. We'll just go with your belief in your sureness.

Ok.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

Those words describe your concept of how a pistol-grip effects a rifle. Those things don't exist, much like your proof that a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle results in more deaths.

Those word of yours reveal your hysterical gun zealotry. I didn't say a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle results in more deaths. That's your straw man argument.

Your hysteria is driving you to cast aspersions and ad hominem arguments, and it's driving you to make your ridiculous straw man arguments.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:
Is sounds like you're not getting ready to give anything to justify your hysterical assertion that the military implements features such as pistol grips "to give the willies."

I don't have to justify my opposition to what you have yet to prove. So far, we have your assurance that the military has the numbers to prove that your hysterics concerning pistol-grips is well founded. The truth is that a pistol-grip does not increase accuracy or rate of fire. The military has no numbers to help you because they don't exist. You're going to have to accept that fact, or try to convince us with your assurance.

Yes, you do have to justify your alternate claim that the military implements pistol grips and other features "to give the willies."

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

So what you're saying is that I can't go out and buy an AR-15 today? Because ya know, if I can, then that means that you were also confused when you said that all states banned all assault weapons as defined by that law.

No, you're confused as to what I said. You have an obsession with the AR-15. I clarified that the law banned the AR-15 and all other assault weapons that were defined by and specifically mentioned by that law. The law expired in 2004. You probably can buy an AR-15, although, given your mental instability, you probably shouldn't be able to.
oralloy

Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:26 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Its nuts like you and others on this site who will cause a total ban on high powered guns.

Don't be silly. No one is going to outlaw elephant guns.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:28 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Love the complete lack of logic where such adds on does not effect the working of the firearms but then banning pointless hardware on the rifles is unconstitutional

There is noting illogical about "upholding the Constitution" and "not violating people's civil liberties for fun".

BillRM wrote:
unconstitutional for some reason.

That reason would be the longstanding principle that restrictions on rights must be justified before those restrictions are allowed.

The idea of reversing that, so that people have to justify why they need to exercise their rights before being allowed to exercise them, is fascist in nature.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:29 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Post on Glenn. The more the gun nuts post the sooner that real gun control will arrive.

Let's look at how the freedom haters are doing in their campaign to violate people's civil liberties for fun.

Passed by House, ignored by Senate:

Bipartisan Background Checks Act
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr8

Enhanced Background Checks Act
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr1112

Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr1585

Passed out of committee, NOT passed by either House or Senate:

Keep Americans Safe Act
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr1186

Extreme Risk Protection Order Act
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr1236