Fellow Bostonians: How many of us wished we had an assault weapon last night?

BillRM

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 09:48 am
@Ceili,
Yes Ceili as guns are not magical and are not able to protect you from bombs being planted in a public place for example therefore they are not a useful self defense tool.

As a armed cop was killed and another one harm that means that there is no good reason to have the police arm either by your logic if you can call it logic.

Next I had not seen any comment on this thread or related threads that armed citizens should had gone out hunting for the bombers just that being armed in your home to deal with the chance that the surviving bomber would try to break into your home to take your family hostage would be a good idea.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:02 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
AND then we wont fund or allow us to try to determine who may possibly NOT be a responsible gun owner, or whether they are already dangerous.

Take note no background check in the world would had stop the Newtown shooter mother from owning guns and then having her son killing her and taking her guns.

It is not within the power of the government to stop anyone from getting their hands on one or more of the 300 millions firearms in the US anymore then it had proven in the power of the government to stop anyone from getting ahold of illegal street drugs,

All we can do is cause unneeded problems to citizens that will go along with the laws on guns ownership.
cicerone imposter

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:12 am
@BillRM,
You continue talk about an isolated case, and ignore all the killings by guns whether they are good or bad people. More guns kill family members than prevent crimes. You can take that to the bank!
BillRM

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:14 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
More guns kill family members than prevent crimes.

I like to see your proof of such a claim.....please offer links to peer review studies.
farmerman

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:14 am
@BillRM,
ut the govt defunded the entire concept of any meaningful research into associations just like that so maybe MAYBE the gun registration background checks COULD HAVE flagged a mother with a ADHD and clearly bi-polar child who was a possible problem.

You only state that which is yesterdays possibilities. A real cosscheck would include other possibilities of behavior, including profiling.

You try to say things with authority of which neither you nor I have anything to offer except a Sunday bullshit session.

Im going out in the garden Ive spent enough time and I think my position of the followup to this whole thing is clear. You can spend the early afternoon massaging your pud over this. BYE
BillRM

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:22 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
checks COULD HAVE flagged a mother with a ADHD and clearly bi-polar child who was a possible problem.

So if you had a family member that have some mental problems you can not own guns yourself how about a friend or a roommate or...................?????????

Sorry madam you can not own firearms as your son have a few mental problems so he would had needed to walked over to a neighbor who he is on friendly terms with and who own firearms and killed him or her instead!!!!!!
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:37 am
@Ceili,
You are answering a question that wasn't asked.
Ceili

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm pretty sure this was the question I was answering...
Fellow Bostonians: How many of us wished we had an assault weapon last night?
I don't live in Boston. Other than that, I think it's a pretty stupid question. What good would have an assault weapon done in the hands of the average Bostonian?

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:20 am
@Ceili,
The "last night" of the question was after the bombing and I'm pretty sure even max wasn't suggesting that armed Bostonians would have or were hunting the fugitive.
Ceili

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:23 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Then what was he suggesting? My earlier question still stands.
JTT

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 01:13 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
We have bears and all sorts of animals who dont appreciate people

You're a little poof, Farmer.
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 01:21 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
Then what was he suggesting? My earlier question still stands.

Max was making fun of another brain dead Republican politician, the one who actually asked the question which you have now questioned as being silly/stupid/..., Ceili. Finn is trying to limit the discussion 'cause, well, he's Finn.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 01:36 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili, please read the original post I made to start this thread. That should make my point clear.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 04:08 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
This is such a stupid question. There were guns all over the marathon site, they didn't protect anyone. Two cops were shot, one killed, both were armed and trained, guns didn't protect them.

So I guess we should disarm the police then?
oralloy

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 04:08 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
More guns kill family members than prevent crimes.

I like to see your proof of such a claim.....please offer links to peer review studies.

Last I heard, the estimate of more than 100,000 crimes prevented every year was an acknowledged undercount.
oralloy

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 04:11 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
farmerman wrote:
checks COULD HAVE flagged a mother with a ADHD and clearly bi-polar child who was a possible problem.

So if you had a family member that have some mental problems you can not own guns yourself how about a friend or a roommate or...................?????????

Actually, yes. If anyone in your household is on the blocked list, the government considers it illegal for any guns to be held in the house by any owner.

That's even the case for the absurd cases, like the people who were added to the list because they lost their job in 1975 because they failed a drug test for pot, and the government has a record showing that is the reason they were fired, and even the people who were added to list for the mere reason that they receive a disability check from the government.

That is one of the reasons why we won't allow background checks to be expanded to gun shows. They are no longer about blocking dangerous people. The background check system is currently mostly about preventing law-abiding people from acquiring guns.
oralloy

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 04:12 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
What good would have an assault weapon done in the hands of the average Bostonian?

If these guys had decided to break into a home and massacre the occupants, those occupants could have defended themselves and saved their lives.

Since these guys didn't do that, it probably would not have made much difference in this instance. However, armed homeowners still could have had the comfort of knowing that they were not completely defenseless, since they had no way of knowing if such an attack were about to occur at any moment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 04:13 pm
@oralloy,
You can do your own research if you wanted to, but you're too stupid to understand how simple it is to do a search on almost any subject.

Quote:
Based on a review of the available scientific data, Dr. (Steven) Lippmann (of the University of Louisville School of Medicine) and co-authors conclude that the dangers of having a gun at home far outweigh the safety benefits. Research shows that access to guns greatly increases the risk of death and firearm-related violence. A gun in the home is twelve times more likely to result in the death of a household member or visitor than an intruder.
The most common cause of deaths occurring at homes where guns are present, by far, is suicide. Many of these self-inflicted gunshot wounds appear to be impulsive acts by people without previous evidence of mental illness. Guns in the home are also associated with a fivefold increase in the rate of intimate partner homicide, as well as an increased risk of injuries and death to children.

I hope you know how to read. Mr. Green

Even then, I know for a fact that you will forget what's written here as soon as you leave this thread. There's no cu.............
JTT

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 04:13 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
So I guess we should disarm the police then?

reductio ad absurdum, Oralloy. Are you H20man's sock puppet? Smile
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 04:19 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Actually, yes. If anyone in your household is on the blocked list, the government considers it illegal for any guns to be held in the house by any owner.

Actually bullshit unless you can quote a law to that effect.

If you have someone in your home that is not allowed to own or have access to a gun such as a felon it is wise to have the guns locked up so he does not have access to them so he will not get charge with having access to guns as a felon but you sure the hell do not loss your rights to own firearms!!!!!!!!!!