Fellow Bostonians: How many of us wished we had an assault weapon last night?

BillRM

Tue 21 May, 2013 05:59 am
@izzythepush,
A
Quote:
s usual, nothing to back up your claims.

Are you so very very stupid to try to claimed that I am making the lady up from thin air when the facts can be found by a simple google search????????

Below is this information that does not exist in Izzy world of a innocent sister who was doing research in how and why her two brothers turned to the dark side and ended up in prison herself for having the copies of the magazine.

Nice police state you are living in Izzy.

Footnote even more details can be found in all the major UK newspapers and some international news sources by once more a simple google search.

Quote:

http://www.infowars.com/woman-sentenced-to-year-in-prison-for-having-supposed-al-qaeda-magazine/

Curious readers beware: in the British police state, merely possessing a copy of the supposed al-Qaeda magazine Inspire will get you a twelve month stint in the hoosegow.

Last Thursday, the sister of two men convicted of planning a Christmas 2010 terror plot – including blowing up a toilet at the London Stock Exchange – was jailed after British authorities found a digital copy of the magazine on the memory card of her cell phone.

Judge Adrian Fulford said he accepted Ruksana Begum’s explanation that she downloaded the magazine to better understand her brothers’ case. He said, however, he had no choice but to send her to prison, according to the Associated Press.

Begum “accessed this material, which is easily accessible, before coming to London to understand the background and ideology which led to her brothers’ incarceration,” said her lawyer, Hossein Zahir.

Begum’s conviction and incarceration set a dangerous precedent – people can now be sent to prison for merely having literature on their computers and cell phones.

Quote:
Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 May, 2013 06:14 am
@BillRM,
From the Guradian
Quote:
[...]Begum, who lived in Cardiff next door to Miah, pleaded guilty last month to having material that was likely to be useful to someone committing or preparing an act of terrorism.
[...]
After taking into account time spent in custody it is likely Begum will be released in a month after serving half her sentence.
[...]
"She is of good behaviour and a good Muslim. Against this background, I accept on the evidence before me that this defendant gathered together the contents of the SD card in order to explore and understand the charges which her brothers faced. There is no evidence that she was motivated by their ideology or was preparing to follow them. She damaged what could have been a potentially blossoming future by committing these offences."

But, said the judge, the material could have aided a terrorist, and such serious offences would always carry a prison sentence.

So she pleaded guilty of a serious offence ...

... but just were lists of ‘important enemy targets’ in the US and other Western countries, including stock exchanges, airports, famous people, and ‘anywhere where Jews gather’.[
BillRM

Tue 21 May, 2013 06:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You do know that a US neo-nazis when traveling outside the US were arrested in a third nation and then extradited to Germany under a warrant issue by Germany under your hate crime laws?

Never hear or could find the outcome of that case but at the time my opinion was that the US should had come down on Germany with the hammer of god.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 May, 2013 06:20 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

You do know that a US neo-nazis when traveling outside the US were arrested in a third nation and then extradited to Germany under a warrant issue by Germany under your hate crime laws?
No, I don't know. But if it is/was so, then there had been an international warrant. Why do you complain? Btw: are you sure it was "under hate crime laws"? We don't have such laws, actually.
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 21 May, 2013 06:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
So she pleaded guilty of a serious offence ...

... but just were lists of ‘important enemy targets’ in the US and other Western countries, including stock exchanges, airports, famous people, and ‘anywhere where Jews gather’.[

In a free country it is not an offense of any kind my friend and on my hard drive I have copies of this evil magazine as I had already stated myself for similar reasons to the lady I wished to try to understand the mind set of such people who wrote the articles.

Information of any kind is not evil or harmful by itself and with zero intention to used that information to do harm to anyone it should never be a crime to have that information.

You go down the rabbit hole damn fast in criminalize information as for example a large percent of chemistry books have information that would be helpful in making bombs so anyone who own chemistry books should be charge with a crime?

I have a number of books written by military snipers that contain details of their craft should those books be illegal to own.?

Then there is a book in my library by a former Miami-Dade county police bomb squad expert that details some of the bombs he ran into during his career should I or others be be send to prison for just owning such materials?
0 Replies

McTag

Tue 21 May, 2013 06:42 am
@BillRM,

Quote:
US should had come down on Germany with the hammer of god.

Interesting choice of phrase.

You see yourselves on the side of good/God, then? Despite so much evidence to the contrary?
BillRM

Tue 21 May, 2013 06:55 am
@McTag,
Quote:
You see yourselves on the side of good/God, then? Despite so much evidence to the contrary?

LOL as an atheist it is somewhat unlikely that I would view god taking sides however the term means come down hard damn hard on Germany for daring to charge an American citizen while on American soil for exercising his first amendment rights.
izzythepush

Tue 21 May, 2013 07:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks for posting something from a reputable source Walter. I'm not going to waste my time googling every one of BillRM's wild flights of fancy.

Don't you think it's ironic to be lectured about police states by someone from a country where 166 people are locked up without trial in Guantanamo Bay?

That's where Begum would be right now if she'd been picked up in America.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 21 May, 2013 08:37 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
As usual, nothing to back up your claims.

BillRM wrote:
Are you so very very stupid to try to claimed that I am making the lady up from thin air when the facts can be found by a simple google search????????

Below is this information that does not exist in Izzy world of a innocent sister who was doing research in how and why her two brothers turned to the dark side and ended up in prison herself for having the copies of the magazine.

Nice police state you are living in Izzy.

Footnote even more details can be found in all the major UK newspapers and some international news sources by once more a simple google search.

Quote:

http://www.infowars.com/woman-sentenced-to-year-in-prison-for-having-supposed-al-qaeda-magazine/

Curious readers beware: in the British police state, merely possessing a copy of the supposed al-Qaeda magazine Inspire will get you a twelve month stint in the hoosegow.

Last Thursday, the sister of two men convicted of planning a Christmas 2010 terror plot – including blowing up a toilet at the London Stock Exchange – was jailed after British authorities found a digital copy of the magazine on the memory card of her cell phone.

Judge Adrian Fulford said he accepted Ruksana Begum’s explanation that she downloaded the magazine to better understand her brothers’ case. He said, however, he had no choice but to send her to prison, according to the Associated Press.

Begum “accessed this material, which is easily accessible, before coming to London to understand the background and ideology which led to her brothers’ incarceration,” said her lawyer, Hossein Zahir.

Begum’s conviction and incarceration set a dangerous precedent – people can now be sent to prison
for merely having literature on their computers and cell phones.

Point of Information:
I wonder whether it is a hate crime, under English law,
to possess a copy of "Mein Kampf" or of "The Communist Manifesto" ?
Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 May, 2013 08:57 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
however the term means come down hard damn hard on Germany for daring to charge an American citizen while on American soil for exercising his first amendment rights.
If others thought about what happens to their countrymen in the USA the same way - you certainly would agree to their rights, isn't it?
Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 May, 2013 08:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I wonder whether it is a hate crime, under English law,
to possess a copy of "Mein Kampf" or of "The Communist Manifesto" ?
Why do you wonder? Does the text of the laws (there are several statues, by the way) imply such?

(Under Welsh and English law, a hate crime is any criminal offence that is motivated by hostility or prejudice based upon the victim's:
 disability
 race
 religion or belief
 sexual orientation
 transgender identity.

For sentencing purposes, a hate crime is one where there is sufficient evidence of hostility based on a monitored equality strand. Courts may, if the defendant is found guilty of the aggravating aspect of the offence, impose a more severe sentence, stating also what the sentence would have been without the aggravation. [Source: factsheet from civitas.org])
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 21 May, 2013 11:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David, other than manuals that would help terrorists, the printed word isn't banned, unless you specifically try to stir up hatred.

If I went on to twitter and tried to provoke violence against a particular group, or if I wrote something particularly nasty about someone in the news that had suffered a tragedy I would face prosecution. Owning Mein Kampf would not count.

Quote:
A 21-year old student who posted offensive Twitter comments about Fabrice Muamba as the footballer lay collapsed on a pitch has been jailed for 56 days for inciting racial hatred.

Liam Stacey, a Swansea University biology undergraduate, provoked disgust with tweets posted as the 23-year-old Bolton Wanders midfielder was fighting for his life following a heart attack during a FA Cup quarter final match against Tottenham. The game was broadcast live on television.

The first of Stacey's messages began "LOL. **** Muamba. He's dead!!!"

As fellow Twitter users took him to task for his views, Stacey responded with further offensive comments.

He was arrested after numerous Twitter users, including former England international Stan Collymore, reported the tweets to police. Stacey admitted inciting racial hatred during a brief appearance at Swansea Magistrates Court last week.

Today, District Judge John Charles told him: "In my view there is no alternative to an immediate prison sentence."

Charles said that when Muamba collapsed, "it was not the football world who was praying for him... everybody was praying for his life".

He added that abusive remarks made to Stacey "via a social networking site were instigated as a result of vile and abhorrent comments made as a result of a young man who was fighting for his life".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/student-who-mocked-fabrice-muamba-on-twitter-is-jailed-7591032.html
BillRM

Tue 21 May, 2013 12:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
If others thought about what happens to their countrymen in the USA the same way - you certainly would agree to their rights, isn't it?

You do not understand American culture it would seems as for example we value our rights under the bill of rights so highly that there had been a number of high profile cases where a lawyer of the Jewish faith had been the lawyer who defended the first amendment rights of the neo-nazis movement.

For myself I remember when the high school administration in the middle of the Vietnam war removed an anti-war magazine by the name of Rampart that had a cover showing a young Vietnam girl running down a road on fire from a US napalm attack from the school library after getting complains over it.

I then went out and purchase a copy and share it to anyone who wish to see what we was not allowed to see in the school library.

Not because I agreed with the magazine but that I disagree with the censorship of the magazine as it is not one and the same thing.to defend speech and agree with that speech.

Those Jewish lawyers did not share the opinion of the neo-nazises but the bill of rights and our freedoms depend on people willing to defend unpopular speech as no one is needed to defend popular speech.

Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 May, 2013 01:06 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

You do not understand American culture it would seems as for example we value our rights under the bill of rights so highly ...
I understand that.
Do you understand that others regard their constitution/bill of rights similarly?
BillRM

Tue 21 May, 2013 01:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
If I went on to twitter and tried to provoke violence against a particular group, or if I wrote something particularly nasty about someone in the news that had suffered a tragedy I would face prosecution

No people are free that allow their government to decide what they can say or not say in the public square.

In the US only immediate danger of harm can override the bill of rights.

Quote:
David, other than manuals that would help terrorists, t

You mean such as US army manuals that deal with IEDs and other such information?

Those manuals are in the public domain in the US but would surely be helpful to terrorists so no one in England should have such material under threat of prison time I would assume.

You are not living in a free nation and given that your nation is view by many of us in the US as the mother country that is more sad to us then when the same can be said for most other countries in the world.

Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 May, 2013 01:18 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

You are not living in a free nation and given that your nation is view by many of us in the US as the mother country that is more sad to us then when the same can be said for most other countries in the world.
It's always a pleasure to listen when a globetrotter narrates his profound experiences ...
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 21 May, 2013 01:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Do you understand that others regard their constitution/bill of rights similarly?

Sorry I do not see that.

The example that come to mind is the US neighbor to the north who have a wonderful sounding statement of rights however their courts had found more cases where those rights do not apply then where they do apply.
BillRM

Tue 21 May, 2013 01:45 pm
Below is something that Izzy should not download under his nations laws produce by the US government. Materials that are far far more accurate and useful then some terrorist magazine contain

Quote:
PDF]
Improvised Munitions Handbook (Improvised Explosive Devices or ...
www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/june2007/imhv3.pdf
Improvised Munitions Handbook (Improvised Explosive Devices or IEDs) .... This manual includes methods for fabricating explosives, detonators, ... Comments should be forwarded directly to Commandant, United States Army, Special ...

Quote:
0.1 Purpose and Scope
In Unconventional Warfare operations it may be impossible or unwise to use conventional military munitions as tools in the conduct of certain missions. It may be necessary instead to fabricate the required munitions from locally available or unassuming materials. The purpose of this manual is to
increase the potential of Special Forces and guerrilla troops by describing in detail the manufacture of munitions from seemingly innocuous locally available materials.Manufactured, precision devices almost always will be more effective, more reliable, and easier to use than improvised ones, but shelf items will just not be available for certain operations for security
or logistical reasons. Therefore the operator will have to rely on materials he can buy in a drug or paint store, find in a junk pile, or scrounge from military stocks. Also, many of the ingredients and materials used in fabricating homemade items are so commonplace or innocuous they can be carried
without arousing suspicion. The completed item itself often is more easily concealed or camouflaged. In addition, the field expedient item can be tailored for the intended target, thereby providing an advantage over the standard item in flexibility and versatility.The manual contains simple explanations and illustrations to permit construction of the items by
personnel not normally familiar with making and handling munitions. These items were conceived in-house or, obtained from other publications or personnel engaged in munitions or special warfare work. This manual includes methods for fabricating explosives, detonators, propellants, shaped
charges, small arms, mortars, incendiaries, delays, switches, and similar items from indigenous
materials.
izzythepush

Tue 21 May, 2013 01:50 pm
@BillRM,
I don't want to download it. I'm not planning on blowing anything up.
izzythepush

Tue 21 May, 2013 01:51 pm
@BillRM,
You can't even walk down the road drinking a beer. What's all that about?