What are these asterisks? like the **ell of daisy dilutes the grey **oking?

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 10:04 am

Context:
What am I writing to you? You know, life should have be beautiful, while , my life is sick , like getting leucocythemia. I always call you , because I can beg peace from you. You are a kind of anodyne to dying life, like the **ell of daisy dilutes the grey **oking. I am a liar.But I am not lying at a moment ,that is when I said "I love you". It is true that it is unfair to you that we are so intimity but I never promise to you any.It is more unfair that I promise to you some ,but never realize.Just like it is unfair to you that I said I will go to Shanghai ,but not for you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 555 • Replies: 9
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 10:28 am
Hard to tell. Whoever wrote that is certainly not a native speaker and their intent is hard to discern through their haphazard version of English. And there isn't any particular reason in English for asterisks there. I''d say the most common usage for asterisks in similar circumstances is to censor swear words, but there isn't one I'm aware of that would be **ell (some particularly fundamentalist Christians may censor "hell", but that wouldn't be two asterisks and makes no sense in the context). That might be "smell of daisies", i.e. something pleasant as an anodyne for negativity and depression of "the grey **oking"--maybe "choking"?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 01:24 pm
I wonder if it is a machine translation that failed to process some words. It is very clumsy, and not native English. There is no way to tell what the asterisks mean. Possibly "smell" and "choking". Native speakers might prefer "scent" to "smell" when referring to flowers.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 01:35 pm
Yeah, poor machine translation seemed like a possibility to me too.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 01:38 pm
I think this is the original

http://www.rongshuxia.com/chapter/bookid-5926837-chapterid-94010.html

It is some Chinese person's amateur effort. Maybe the asterisks are a typing error that would pass unnoticed by non-Occidentals?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 01:43 pm
@oristarA,
I'm curious what you make of the entire piece - the context you've offered makes as little sense as the asterisks do.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 01:44 pm
@contrex,
Oh my.

That is dreadful.

Better than my Chinese will ever be, but still dreadful.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 02:00 pm
Quote:
That is the reason "I love you" always blocks my gizzard when I was in the face of another girl

<sigh> what sentiment. a blocked gizzard must be so painful
contrex

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 02:22 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Quote:
That is the reason "I love you" always blocks my gizzard when I was in the face of another girl

<sigh> what sentiment. a blocked gizzard must be so painful

If I were "in a girl's face" I should expect her to have the blocked gizzard.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 04:17 pm
Well, guys. At least the writer has written a correct sentence:
Love when you are ready, not when you are lonely.
Smile
0 Replies