29
   

Guns And The Laws That Govern Them

 
 
parados
 
  2  
Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 03:42 pm
@oralloy,
So your "fact" is that a bullet will pass through the heart and spine and not kill?
oralloy
 
  0  
Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 04:27 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
So your "fact" is that a bullet will pass through the heart and spine and not kill?

No.
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 06:37 pm
@parados,
I was just responding to, 'Yet you would have a very real problem with restricting gun ownership to just target shooting guns, wouldn't you?" Kind of supports your idea about why target shooting precedes killing.
0 Replies
 
parados
 
  2  
Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 07:15 pm
@oralloy,
So you agree that the purpose of a gun is to kill. You just don't want to say it.
oralloy
 
  -1  
Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 07:50 pm
@parados,
Nonsense. I've already demonstrated that many guns do not have killing as their purpose.
Suttle Tea
 
  1  
Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 04:54 am
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/1935405_10153728142325325_8790017216662791408_n.jpg?oh=7427e598c0f7f494e10d32a4a8ed3409&oe=5708801B
0 Replies
 
parados
 
  3  
Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 06:03 am
@oralloy,
No, you have demonstrated that very few guns do not have killing as their purpose.
oralloy
 
  0  
Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:21 pm
@parados,
While I don't know what exact portion of guns are used for self defense or target shooting, it is certainly quite a bit more than "very few".
McGentrix
 
  0  
Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:32 pm
@oralloy,
Every single one of my guns is for target shooting and/or hunting. Not a single one of them was designed specifically to kill people. They could kill people, but so can my car, my bat, my hands, my knives, my axes, my 2x4's etc...
hingehead
 
  3  
Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:53 pm
@McGentrix,
That's disingenuous. They are designed to kill. Hunting is killing.

Cars are designed to transport people and goods. Your hands aren't designed, they evolved. Knives are designed to cut things. Axes to cut lumber. 2x4's to aid construction.

I don't understand the denialism. I was purely making a logical point about the 'sensibleness' of comparing guns to cars.

Admitting guns are designed to kill doesn't weaken your argument (at least not more than denying they are designed to kill).

oralloy
 
  0  
Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 12:02 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
That's disingenuous.

Just because the Left finds facts to be inconvenient, that does not make it disingenuous to point out facts.


hingehead wrote:
They are designed to kill.

How many lives are lost when an Olympic target shooter wins a gold medal?


hingehead wrote:
Hunting is killing.

Hunting is killing game animals.


hingehead wrote:
I don't understand the denialism.

Simple. You said something that wasn't true, and we corrected you by pointing out the truth.


hingehead wrote:
Admitting guns are designed to kill doesn't weaken your argument

Always best to base your argument on the truth. Things work out so much better in the end.
parados
 
  2  
Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 07:41 am
@oralloy,
You have argued when using a gun in self defense you should shoot through the heart and spine. Guns used in self defense are used to kill under your argument. Claiming they are not is disingenuous.
parados
 
  2  
Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 07:42 am
@oralloy,
A gun designed to kill game animals is a gun designed to kill. You really are arguing a stupid line when you argue killing is not killing.
oralloy
 
  0  
Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 03:56 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
You have argued when using a gun in self defense you should shoot through the heart and spine. Guns used in self defense are used to kill under your argument. Claiming they are not is disingenuous.

From a previous post:

The primary purpose of a self defense gun is rapid incapacitation.

For example, if shooting in self defense fatally wounded the attacker, but the attacker was able to fatally wound the defender before succumbing, that would be a self defense failure despite the attacker being killed.

But if shooting in self defense immediately halted the attack, even if the attacker survived to stand trial for his assault, that would be a self defense success despite the attacker surviving.
oralloy
 
  0  
Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 03:57 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
A gun designed to kill game animals is a gun designed to kill.

Yes.


parados wrote:
You really are arguing a stupid line when you argue killing is not killing.

Luckily for me I've never argued that.
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  3  
Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 04:06 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
've already demonstrated that many guns do not have killing as their purpose
I never looked to see whether any of my guns have a statement etched on the side that indicates whether that gun is for killing or not.

I wonder how youve "demonstrated " that many guns do not have killing as their purpose. Start with gun brand name and model number. You have too much confidence in your abilities to prove the unproveable.
oralloy
 
  0  
Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 04:10 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I wonder how youve "demonstrated " that many guns do not have killing as their purpose.

By pointing out classes of guns that have an entirely different purpose.


farmerman wrote:
You have too much confidence in your abilities to prove the unproveable.

I think I have just the right amount of confidence.
0 Replies
 
parados
 
  2  
Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 08:44 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The primary purpose of a self defense gun is rapid incapacitation.

You stated the best way to do this was to shoot through the heart and spine. Are you now arguing a gun should be used to shoot someone in the leg?
cicerone imposter
 
  2  
Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 08:45 pm
@parados,
Next time, it'll be the foot. Wink
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  0  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 12:04 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The primary purpose of a self defense gun is rapid incapacitation.

You stated the best way to do this was to shoot through the heart and spine.

Shooting in self defense is not to be done lightly. It should only be done when you are facing an imminent threat to your life and you have no other way to avoid the attack.


parados wrote:
Are you now arguing a gun should be used to shoot someone in the leg?

No.
 

Related Topics

NRA: Arm the Blind! - Discussion by Lustig Andrei
Thoughts on gun control..? - Discussion by komr98
The Gun Fight in Washington. Your opinons? - Question by Lustig Andrei
Gun control... - Question by Cyracuz
Does gun control help? - Discussion by Fatal Freedoms
Why Every Woman Should Carry a Gun - Discussion by cjhsa
Congress Acts to Defend Gun Rights - Discussion by oralloy
Texas follows NY Newspaper's lead - Discussion by gungasnake
 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/20/2019 at 05:58:21