Explosions at Boston Marathon - A2K Runners, Check In Please

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 07:45 am
@Lordyaswas,
This tragic event seems to be a reason for some comebacks ...
George

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 07:58 am
Every so often a name from my past comes to mind and I'll poke around
on the internet to see if I can find him. A couple of weeks ago I found
a childhood friend on Facebook. We "friended" and have posted on each
other's pages.

On Bob's page he had pictures of his wife who was preparing to run the
Boston Marathon. As soon as I got home yesterday, I checked his page.
He hadn't posted, but there were a number of posts asking if he was OK.
I checked again this morning, but still nothing. I can't get to Facebook
from work, so I'll have to wait till I get home.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 08:05 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

From the article:

Quote:
And we are left with this unnerving proposition: If it was home-grown, it was probably an aberration, the work of a ­lunatic. If it was foreign ­inspired or sponsored, we will never feel safe again in our own town.

What?

Double what with knobs on.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 08:22 am
I am glad the Boston A2Kers are okay. We even found out that the legendary Slappy is okay!

Linkat seemed to be working close to where the incident occurred. I am glad you got home safely, Linkat!
Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 08:59 am
@wandeljw,
Thinking about the day after 9/11. How eery it was. Wondering how Boston (my second-favorite US city) is coping.

Glad to know that the Bean Town a2kers are OK.
jespah

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 09:03 am
@Roberta,
It's less eerie than 9/12 was. Maybe because we've been through something like this before. Or maybe because there are flights (we sometimes hear the planes just a tiny bit here). I dunno.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 09:30 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Glad to know that the Bean Town a2kers are OK.

So far there have been 3 deaths and more than 170 individuals being treated for injuries ( many are very, very serious ) at local Boston hospitals.

So much blood, and so many people who've lost their legs. Many burns also.

A very sad day for Boston, Patriots Day and the Boston Marathon.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 09:34 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Not working for me - as you can imagine, things are crawling here, 'netwise.

Globe is down; the Herald is, too.

All cell phone service to the area was shut off to avoid triggering an explosion of any hidden bombs, so far undetected.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:17 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
I remember 9-11 so vividly but yet even being close this didn't hit me the same -- at least right away. Maybe because we went through 9-11 and as bad as this is -- still not the amount as 9-11.
yes, i feel the same way about it.

i was a little nervous going home from work on 9/11, imagining planes crashing into the tall buildings of the financial district.

i have not felt any trepidation during either of my commutes since the bombings...
Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:25 am
The most disturbing aspect of this event is that this creep (or creeps) loaded the bombs with nails, ball bearings--all manner of fragments. This creep was going for maximum damage even to those who survived the blast.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:30 am

ok, i take back every negative thing i ever said about Chicago...

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/chicagotribunetribute1_zps83a21df7.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/chicagotribunetribute2_zpsee7a083f.jpg

a class act by the Windy City...
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:38 am
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-boston-marathon-explosions-20130416,0,4548564.story

Quote:
Police have not taken anyone into custody in connection with their investigation, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said today. A total of 176 people were treated at area hospitals as a result of the attacks and 17 are in critical condition, Davis told a news conference.

Late Monday, police searched a Boston area apartment of a Saudi Arabian student who was injured in the blast, law enforcement sources said.

Today, law enforcement sources briefed on the case said that the evidence was indicating that the Saudi student, who had been temporarily considered a “person of interest” in the investigation, would be cleared of suspicion and was unlikely to shed any light on the attack.

Richard Deslauriers, FBI special agent in charge of the investigation, declined to name any people being interviewed in the case.

Dispelling earlier reports of as many as seven devices being found around Boston, Gene Marquez, assistant special agent in charge for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, said authorities had determined that the only bombs deployed in the attack were the two that detonated shortly before 3 p.m. ET on Monday.

Any unexploded device might have provided a clearer picture of what materials were used and how the bomb was assembled, furnishing leads in the case.

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:38 am
@Region Philbis,
Thanks, RP! Local news in Chicago is talking about almost nothing except Boston. Nice to hear that marathon runners immediately volunteered to donate blood. That is the most noble kind of sportsmanship.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:46 am
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-boston-marathon-explosions-20130416,0,4548564.story

Quote:
Police have not taken anyone into custody in connection with their investigation, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said today. A total of 176 people were treated at area hospitals as a result of the attacks and 17 are in critical condition, Davis told a news conference.

Late Monday, police searched a Boston area apartment of a Saudi Arabian student who was injured in the blast, law enforcement sources said.

Today, law enforcement sources briefed on the case said that the evidence was indicating that the Saudi student, who had been temporarily considered a “person of interest” in the investigation, would be cleared of suspicion and was unlikely to shed any light on the attack.

Richard Deslauriers, FBI special agent in charge of the investigation, declined to name any people being interviewed in the case.

Dispelling earlier reports of as many as seven devices being found around Boston, Gene Marquez, assistant special agent in charge for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, said authorities had determined that the only bombs deployed in the attack were the two that detonated shortly before 3 p.m. ET on Monday.

Any unexploded device might have provided a clearer picture of what materials were used and how the bomb was assembled, furnishing leads in the case.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/04/16/marathon-runners-dazed-and-angry-return-for-things-left-behind-the-chaos-bombings/UgNApXFqrWIK1UAMILUhjL/story.html

Quote:
One by one they came to Berkeley Street. The runner from Rome. The woman from Gloucester. The 71-year-old marathoner from California.

Each, still dazed, angry, and confused over Monday’s twin explosions, had come to collect the bags of stuff they left at the starting line of the 117th Boston Marathon. Normally, they would have been able to retrieve them on race day.

“I’m still kind of shell-shocked,” said Arthur Webb, of Santa Rosa, Calif., who froze when a truck rumbled nearby.

A runner with 100 marathons under his belt, he said he has never witnessed anything like what happened in Boston. He returned today to a spot at the corner of Berkeley and St. James Avenue, several blocks from the finish line, where Marathon officials were returning the runners’ belongings and giving them a medal, whether or not they finished the race.

Some had left extra pairs of sneakers, warm-ups, towels. Some left behind keys, wallets, and cellphones.

They had all left a bit if themselves on that line - the months of hard training, the pride in how far they had come, the hope to finish the race.

Some made it to the very end before feeling the earth shake, their sense of safety shattered.

But some came so close and did not finish the race.

“We were almost there when a volunteer stopped us, and told us they were closing the race,” said Meghan Cole, a 25-year-old from Gloucester who was running her first marathon.

“I didn’t believe it. I thought it was a joke. “

Runners described the chaos that followed, the frantic search for families, the happy reunions. The sad news over three deaths. All expressed dismay at the bombings and said prayers for those who suffered.

Francesco Iacovelli, 45 of Rome, said he had finished the race in just over three hours and was getting medical help for severe cramps when he heard the explosions.

“It sounded like thunderstorms,” he said.

His wife Rita was with their 12-year-old son at a nearby train station when they were told of the blasts. They tried to reach him, but could not because of the chaos that followed.

“I thought he was dead,” Rita said.

As a race official handed her bag and placed a blue and yellow medal over her head, Dana Krashin broke down in tears.

The Framingham native now lives in New York has long been a spectator of the race. But on Monday, she ran.

She had just finished the hills and was about to round a corner when the race was halted.

“When I think of so many people who are hurt during the marathon, it makes me really sad,” she said, weeping.
Miller

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:48 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

i have not felt any trepidation during either of my commutes since the bombings...

The 4th of July concert on the Charles River Bank is a prime time for the terrorists to attack. They have however, metal detectors there to catch anything "catchable". By the way, trained dogs can't pick up everything harmful.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:50 am
Click the link to make use of the embedded links in the article.

http://www.boston.com/news/source/2013/04/boston_marathon.html

Boston Marathon bombings: How to help
April 16, 2013 12:38 PM

Boston Police Help Line: Family or friends looking for info about people injured in the blasts can call (617) 635-4500.

A Google doc called "Caring for the Richard family" has been circulating online asking for donations for the Richard family.

Boston Marathon Athlete Tracker: Find runners by bib number to see if he or she finished the race and when.

Can you offer a place to stay? If so, fill out this form. We'll let people looking for a place to stay know that it's available.

Do you need a place to stay? Fill out this form and we will try to connect you with someone offering a place to stay. (See above.)

Register yourself as "safe and well" with the Red Cross. If you're searching for someone, check the registrants on this list.

Boston Police Tip Line: Anyone with information about the marathon explosions is encouraged to call the Boston Police Department’s tip line: 1-800-494-TIPS or the task force tip line at 617-223-6610. You can also email [email protected]

Blood donation: A statement from the DFCI/BWH Blood Donor Center: "The tragic events at the Boston Marathon have led to an overwhelming outpouring of support to the Blood Donor Center. If you’re considering donating blood or platelets, the center requests that you call to schedule a blood or platelet donation and consider scheduling your donation in the coming weeks to help us replenish and maintain the supply of blood products to meet the needs of patients at both Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. To schedule a donation, email [email protected] with your preferred donation type (blood or platelets), days you prefer to donate, and a phone number."

Red Cross: According to an American Red Cross statement, they have enough blood to meet the patients’ needs right now. If you are interested in donating, they suggest making appointments in the coming weeks and months by calling 1-800-RED CROSS or visiting redcrossblood.org.

From runnersworld.com: "A grassroots movement began on social media and then was further organized by #RunChat, asking people to show support by wearing either a race shirt or blue and yellow today."

Just get out there and run: According to this Facebook page, "The next 26.2 aren't about race prep, monthly mileage, or self. It's about our brothers and sisters, the ones we don't know but share a bond with. Run for the ones for whom today's 26.2 might have been their last, and for the ones that didn't finish. Run it in 1 day, 1 week or 1 month. Just run."

Bryant University run: Bryant University is holding a one-mile run to express support of those affected by the bombing at the Boston Marathon.

Boston College walk: "We invite everyone to join us on Friday, April 19 at 4:30 pm to walk from BC to Boston to stand united. For anyone who did not get to finish, For anyone who was injured, and For anyone who lost their life...we will walk. We will walk to show that we decide when our marathon ends."
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:53 am
The FBI has been searching an apartment in Revere, Ma for the past 9 hours.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:56 am
@Butrflynet,
Bramwell Tovey @BramwellTovey wrote:

26m

This morning every decent human being is a Bostonian.
Retweeted by NY Philharmonic
from Greater Vancouver, British Columbia

Via Twitter....
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 11:04 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
yes, i can imagine...

Another class act, Region. Good on ya, Mate!!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 11:06 am
@izzythepush,
Another class act, Izzy. All things in perspective.
0 Replies