Suicide prevention - can you deal with it??

husker

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 01:13 am
QPR Institute

Just having to deal with a cyberfriend calling me to advise me I was his last resort - I sat there in shock on the telephone, at having the right words to say at a moments notice and my brain shutting down for the night.

Are you prepared for this call? Informational site to educate you and I also found out it's in my backyard - almost.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,008 • Replies: 10
No top replies

caprice

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 01:49 am
I didn't see much in the way of information on how to guide one considering suicide...seemed more like a sales site to me.

Did the situation you mentioned really happen? What happened with him?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:30 am
Happens at work reasonably often...I hate it. Adults, well...but kids? Too much responsibility! I know I'm gonna lose one one day...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:11 am
caprice wrote:
I didn't see much in the way of information on how to guide one considering suicide...seemed more like a sales site to me.

Did the situation you mentioned really happen? What happened with him?

Yes it really happened - I was for some reason the person he decided to reachout to from a 1000 miles away, in the bathroom at a hamburger joint. I was able to defuse him - I don't remember but I think the call lasted about 45 minutes to an hour. He's made a lot of poor choices in the past 8 months that has cost him his marriage, family and friends. I screwed up because I didn't get a way to contact him, so when the call was over - I was left in limbo.

ok - jump to last weekend. I get a call from the guy (ok that's good he's alive) he's in Vancouver, WA and heading East - I say Holy SH_T! batman!
he's coming to see me. Give the conversation a few minutes and it turns out he's coming from AZ to WA to live with an Aunt to get a new start.
Let's hope he gets some help and turns things around. SO now he's about 150 miles away - in some respects that to close for comfort.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:14 am
Caprice you might try and download the free book - I might later - when time frees-up.
It would be good to see the Ms Wabbit check out the book and offer her opinion of the material.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:59 pm
The download is just a sample of their newsletter - it is about an infant mental health intervention, "Watch, Wait and Wonder", and some other stuff. The info on that looks ok. I dinna see anything on suicide.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 06:19 pm
Quote:
I'm gonna lose one one day...

dlowan- What I have learned from my many years in the mental health field is that if someone is hell bent on killing themselves, there is not much that you can do about it.

If you can "catch" a person in time, and offer help, often you CAN prevent a tragedy. But if that person is determined, your best efforts will not help. So if after giving it your best shot, the person DOES kill himself, IMO, it is not a "loss", or a negative reflection of your expertise. You did what you could, and that is all that can be expected of a human being.

As much as we want to help, there are some people who just can't be "fixed"!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 06:23 pm
Exactly,
what is there to "fix" in these individuals?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 07:54 pm
LOL! You know that, and I know that - but the witch hunt in the Coroner's court doesn't!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 07:58 pm
Thing is with kids - they are impulsive, often do not really believe they will die - eg take panadol which they think is harmless - and I really think it is worth pulling out all stops to let them have the chance to grow up!!!!

And, adolescents do dumb things like get influenced to try by friends' behaviour - they are prone to cluster suicides - dying from stupidity and such ain't good..

OR try to fix the appalling circumstances they may be in!

And, ther eis no way I am letting some little kid top themselves. We see mor eand mor ethat try, you know.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:34 pm
I see your point about adolescents and suicide, dlowan.

Adolescence is that meso-time between childhood and adulthood in which humans are still prone to immature thoughts and behavior and at the same time begin to grasp very serious ideas and concepts, the combination of which can lead to very harrowing results.
0 Replies