Does "however outlandish analysts consider such threats" mean "no matter how weird analysts..."?

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:08 am
Does "however outlandish analysts consider such threats" mean "no matter how weird analysts pay attention to such threats"?

Context:
And it comes on the heels of months of provocative action and warlike rhetoric from Pyongyang, including talk of nuclear strikes against the United States — however outlandish analysts consider such threats. No one is discounting the danger entirely after tests of a nuclear device and ballistic missile technology in recent months.
More:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/04/12/kerry-south-korea-visit/2076597/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 462 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:18 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
"no matter how weird analysts pay attention to such threats"?
Ori you'll have to forgive an old fussbudget and of course as an esl you're entitled, but that phrase makes no sense as I'm sure somebody else better versed in linguistics will soon explain

However it made my entire week, I'll be chuckling about all the wierd analysts and their strange behavior in the manner by which they lavish their attention

Quote:
"however outlandish analysts consider such threats"
means "no matter how weird the analysts think such threats might be"
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:44 am
Got it.
Thank you.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:45 am
@oristarA,
Quite welcome Ori

Incidentally forgive an 82-year-old brain but did I ask you about yourself and if so can you provide a link
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 02:41 pm
@oristarA,
Weird isn't the right synonym. Outlandish, in this case, means outside the norm. Weird means peculiar. Threatening to use nuclear weapons is not weird, it's dangerous and completely irresponsible.

Extreme or insane would be better synonyms to use.
0 Replies