Should we put a comma before "and Nazi experiments" to make the parallel sentence clearer?

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 08:17 am

Context:
“What makes Human Beings into Moral Beings?”
The Significance of Ethics in the Process of Evolution
Babette Babich
Professor of Fordham University, New York City, editor of New Nietzsche Studies
E-mail: [email protected]
ABSTRACT: Just as animals in general are described as “feeling” nothing like “pain” but “stimuli responses” or “behaviours,” scientific theorists once proposed to reduce the differences between socio-cultural expressions of pain to differences in general between the races: Black, White, Asian, and especially so-called aboriginal peoples and Nazi experiments on human pain extended the same test of pain thresholds from experiments performed on animals for centuries (the same experiments on animals unchecked to this day) to human beings designated as subhuman. Ethological studies by Franz de Waal suggest that animals share this capacity for sympathizing with the other. Schopenhauer’s notion of compassion thus serves as the basis for a new understanding of becoming moral. This essay situates Schopenhauer with respect to Kant as well as Nietszche and develops connections with Levinas and Adorno as well as Isaac Bashevis Singer.
KEY WORDS: Evolutionary ethics, animal empathy, Vivisection.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 782 • Replies: 10
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 08:33 am
Black, White, Asian, and especially so-called aboriginal peoples, and Nazi experiments on human pain . . .

I'd say yes, since this is a series of examples
oristarA

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 09:27 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Black, White, Asian, and especially so-called aboriginal peoples, and Nazi experiments on human pain . . .

I'd say yes, since this is a series of examples

Nazi experiments are not parallel to Black, White, Asian. There are two sentences which have been put together to form a single sentence with the conjunctive word "and":

(the first sentence) : scientific theorists once proposed to reduce the differences between socio-cultural expressions of pain to differences in general between the races: Black, White, Asian, and especially so-called aboriginal peoples
(the second sentence): Nazi experiments on human pain extended the same test of pain thresholds from experiments performed on animals for centuries (the same experiments on animals unchecked to this day) to human beings designated as subhuman.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 06:06 pm
OR you could read it as:

They (Black, White, Asian, and especially so-called aboriginal peoples, and Nazi experiments on human pain) extended the same test of pain thresholds from experiments performed on animals for centuries (the same experiments on animals unchecked to this day) to human beings designated as subhuman.

roger

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 08:51 pm
@oristarA,
Use the comma. Nazi experiments on human pain. . . are not part of the group of aboriginal peoples.
oristarA

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 01:00 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

OR you could read it as:

They (Black, White, Asian, and especially so-called aboriginal peoples, and Nazi experiments on human pain) extended the same test of pain thresholds from experiments performed on animals for centuries (the same experiments on animals unchecked to this day) to human beings designated as subhuman.

It is doubtful that you can classify Nazi experiments into the category of (human) race, PUNKEY.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 01:02 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Use the comma. Nazi experiments on human pain. . . are not part of the group of aboriginal peoples.
[/size]

Yeah, thus "Nazi experiments on human pain. . ." has to be another sentence that is parallel to the first sentence.
roger

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 01:17 am
@oristarA,
I'm not really understanding your use of parallel sentences, but if you're happy, I'm happy.
oristarA

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 01:24 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'm not really understanding your use of parallel sentences, but if you're happy, I'm happy.

"Parallel sentence" or "balanced sentence" can be highly misleading here. I simply meant two different sentences have been put together by adding "and" between.

We're all happy of course.
roger

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 02:22 am
@oristarA,
oic

In that case, I still maintain you need the comma after aboriginal peoples. It isn't naturally grouped with Nazi experiments.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 03:47 pm
Ori:
Consider this: The author is listing people he classifies as a "race"

Black
White,
Asian,
aboriginal peoples
and Nazi experiments on (Jewish prisoners)

(All of these groups ) extended the same test of pain thresholds from experiments performed on animals for centuries (the same experiments on animals unchecked to this day) to human beings designated as subhuman.

But to settle it, why don't you email Babich?

PS - Two complete thoughts connected with a conjunction is called a compound sentence.

0 Replies