Aussies, Hide Your Steak Knives

Scrat

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 04:10 pm
dlowan wrote:
Well, speaking for meself, it is that so many people feel a NEED to own a gun...

I would feel no need to own a gun if it weren't for the fact that I have no way to determine which other people feel the need to harm me or take my stuff, and I want to be able to stop them, if necessary.

Of course, since the state I live in began allowing concealed carry permits again, crime rates have been falling. I believe this has to do with the fact that those people who feel the need to harm others or take their stuff have no way to determine which of the rest of us might be armed and therefor not make a very good target for their predatory intentions.

It seems to me that those who "don't get" the desire to own a gun for self-protection operate under the assumption that nobody out there intends any of us any harm, or that if they do, there is nothing we can do to dissuade them from acting on those intentions. I would not throw a punch at a guy twice my size, nor at a guy half my size who had a gun. I suspect that most criminals are rational enough creatures to make similar choices.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 04:11 pm
cjhsa wrote:
What the heck is your problem dlowan? You're supposed to be a benefit to this site. Why don't you act like it?

Just pointing out reality, cjhsa.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 04:13 pm
If you had any grasp on reality we wouldn't be arguing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 04:14 pm
Scrat wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Well, speaking for meself, it is that so many people feel a NEED to own a gun...

I would feel no need to own a gun if it weren't for the fact that I have no way to determine which other people feel the need to harm me or take my stuff, and I want to be able to stop them, if necessary.

Of course, since the state I live in began allowing concealed carry permits again, crime rates have been falling. I believe this has to do with the fact that those people who feel the need to harm others or take their stuff have no way to determine which of the rest of us might be armed and therefor not make a very good target for their predatory intentions.

It seems to me that those who "don't get" the desire to own a gun for self-protection operate under the assumption that nobody out there intends any of us any harm, or that if they do, there is nothing we can do to dissuade them from acting on those intentions. I would not throw a punch at a guy twice my size, nor at a guy half my size who had a gun. I suspect that most criminals are rational enough creatures to make similar choices.

Own what you want, Scrat - it is your country - I just object when American gun nuts (and I acknowledge all gun owners are not such) try to proselytize - as I said, Americans can tell other countries they are wrong with some credibility when your gun murder rates approach ours.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 04:16 pm
cjhsa wrote:
If you had any grasp on reality we wouldn't be arguing.

Lol! Listen to yourself!

But please, keep going - I always find these little gun thread dramas amusing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 04:17 pm
I am listening to myself, and laughing, at you. Have a nice day.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 04:20 pm
Thank-you, I will. Cool
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 04:22 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Or is the right to have a sword sacred, too?

Certainly - it a relic re Holy War and thus highest honoured and as highly adored as the guns.

Lol! I have a once wild and alcoholic friend who used to take great pride in his huge goddamn sword - pointing lovingly to the "blood-gutter".

Problem was, he would sometimes think himself a musketeer, or some such nonsense, in his cups - and wave the thing around wildly. I once hid it in the garden!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 04:24 pm
By the way no one has responded to the valid question about hunting in OZ I posted on the previous page.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 04:29 pm
Lol! I thought you had taken off in a huff?

Hunters shoot ducks, kangaroos (which apparently taste wonderful, if you like gamy meat - very lean and healthy) - somebody is marketing emu and crocodile, which I am again told is very good - but I think that is farmed - and they fish.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 04:32 pm
Gator tastes like swamp chicken. I've had it. A neighbor of mine who owns a hunting ranch had a couple emu. When I was there they were penned up. He said they were bothering the fawns and were destined for the barbecue.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 05:43 pm
dlowan wrote:
Problem was, he would sometimes think himself a musketeer, or some such nonsense, in his cups - and wave the thing around wildly. I once hid it in the garden!

I have always been highly amused that "mousquetiers"--musketeers, who are named so for their use of firearms, are always portrayed trying to gut someone with a fencing foil (thank you, Hollywood!). (No criticism of you, Auntie Wabbit, just the whole "musketeer" nonsense.) Not only were they common soldiers who used firearms, but the swords they are depicted in motion pictures as using would have been more likely to kill by laughter when involved in close combat.

Trivia for you all: The Three Musketeers actually feature four Mustketeers: Athos, Aramis, D'Artagnan and Porthos. Which one was actually a living, breathing person, and when?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:59 pm
Mickey?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:31 pm
Bingo ! ! ! . . . somebody give that wabbit a cee-gar . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:41 pm
teehee.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:48 pm
It always startles me, how frightened muricans are of ozzztralians.

Citizens from some 27 countries that don't require visas to visit the U.S.A., including ... and Australia, will start being fingerprinted and photographed when they enter the country starting Sept. 30.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:56 pm
Oh well - ain't never been fingerprinted.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 08:09 pm
Planning a trip for the autumn?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 09:10 pm
cjhsa wrote:
My point all along is that here in the states, as long as you keep your nose clean, you have a CHOICE of whether or not you want to own guns.

Having that choice is precious.

So do Australians. We just place a little tighter control on it. But don't let those FACTS interfere with your narrow view of the world.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 09:12 pm
cjhsa wrote:
What facts am I missing? Swords and laser pointers are banned in Austrailia.

Wrong again, those things are banned in the state of VICTORIA-apparently.
0 Replies