Ladies/ What Does Your S.O. Think About Your Hairdo?

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:30 pm
This is NOT a picture of me, but the model is wearing a hairstyle similar to mine. Well, sort of. The picture looks like my hair looks when I am about ready for a haircut.
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VwAAAPcaVb7BwmVnIJ8RZo2xje6cThwUgmv5EtzwLUM2U9x*rkDREPIIxOAWiB5FblaSS7iiVcPtgfK42cygtvK5cVsxUV14bcFtPZJHirRnH7RWUNDibM3gThYrqN0a/short-hairstlye-2.gif?dc=4675401441295487651

I LIKE short hair. I feel that it suits me, and is very practical in Florida, where you spend most of the year sweating.

Anyhow, I came home from the Barber Shop. Yes, I go to a Barber Shop. The gal who works there gives a great haircut. I don't have to bother with appointments. All I do is give her a call when I am ready to go, and ask her if she is busy. Nice and simple, and cheap.

Anyhow, I walked into the house, and the first thing out of my husband's mouth was, "Joining the Marines?" He went on and on about my "baldy."
(It really was not THAT short!)

Does your s.o. have any preferences about YOUR hair style? Do you style your hair to suit his preferences or yours?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,076 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:39 pm
If he's got a brain, he likes everything you've ever done to your hair, and can find a way of saying so diplomatically, even if you just got back from your third trip to the hair dresser this week.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:43 pm
I'm sure he has preferences. I'm not sure he's ever told me. I'm the one who verbalizes my preferences (well, mostly sort of inadvertently - making comments or 'looking around'). And in spite of having preferences, I don't expect him to tailor his look to suit me. It's his melon after all.

I'd listen to his preferences, and consider them.

As long as they don't involve a long, blonde perm, I'd consider them.

<pssssst if that's ready to cut hair, your hair must be quite short>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:44 pm
oh the joys of having a s.o.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:44 pm
well, look who's here! LOL
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:45 pm
Well, i rather like the fact that your hair is on top of your head . . . apart from that, i'm not picky. I like your adventurous attitude toward your beloved pate . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:47 pm
As long as Maddy can keep up with my plans about my 'pate', I think we're all happy :grin:.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:53 pm
Now I will tell you all what is far, far worse than one's S.O. not liking your new hairdo. It's when he doesn't even notice that you have a NEW hairdo. Mine has done that on a number of occasions and on each I have been suitably irritated and made vague mumblings about divorce court.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:55 pm
bandylu2- Ya mean that a knock means that he's still looking! Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 08:05 pm
Oh how I love the interplay between Setanta and Beth. I'll bet he loves your poofity hair because he has mentioned your oddly colored hair with a certain whimsical admiration. He is such a sweetie, even though he tends to get his fingers caught in fishnet stockings...hee, hee.

I have also seen littlek's hair which is quite lovely. I seriously doubt that anyone would suggest she do anything different with it.

Phoenix, my hair is short, partly because it has gotten much thinner since I've been through menopause, but mostly because, like you, I don't like to fool with it very much. (We spend several months in Florida--will be down in late January.)

My husband has never complained about my hair, whether it was very long, when I was much younger, or now that it is short. The lack of complaining isn't that he doesn't have anything to complain about, just that he doesn't talk.

Sometimes I would love for him to say something, anything, about what he thinks I look like. Naturally, I don't ask stupid questions like "Do you think I look fat in this dress?" It is usually just, "How do I look?" Do you think he would say something without my asking? Noooooo. He is completely stoic.Then again, he is a damn good poker player.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 08:05 pm
Exactly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 08:12 pm
and as long as he doesn't walk out the door on seeing your new do ...

about 20 years ago, i cut my luxurious yard-long (and yard-wide) hair off and had it bleached high-white. my co-vivant of the time walked into the apartment, looked at me, turned around and walked out. Came back 10 minutes later. Appears he'd been so startled he was convinced he was not only in the wrong apartment, but the wrong building. He had to go outside to check the building number. Blondes don't always have more fun.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 08:20 pm
littlek actually has cute hair when she doesnt brush it and walks in the wind <giggle>

You know..never asked, and although I would take in thoughts and ideas...it dont mean Im doin any of it.
My hair used to be much longer than it is now, Ive been cutting it short and went almost up to the shoulders and straightened it last year, and I just wasnt happy. So, I went back to the do I been doin for quite a few years. Lots of hair generally leads to nice hair playing..which with a SO can be good...bad for like strangers on the train or something though.
As far as comments...a funny jibe about the grays or how wonderful it can look at odd moments is enough..no need to say anything else..well, unless it does something for him in a particular way..then I can remember that for when I want him to feel something in particular Smile
As far as a mans goes...just no combovers or ZZ Top beard things...thats all I ask.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 08:33 pm
SmilePhoenix, I don't have a S.O., but if I did I would rather appreciate him NOT insinuating some other style other than the one I have, but to be diplomatic about it and if I thought he had a reasonable argument then I would consider all the options and do what the hell I want to anyway
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 09:15 pm
Well, my S.O. got to be my S.O. by writing a poem about my hair. Embarrassed A rawther nice poem, at that. (Sorry, just read a bunch of Eloise books to the sozlet.)

My hair's been super-duper long to medium-long pretty much my entire life except for a brief stint in high school when I got a bob. It was an extremely cool bob, (this was 1983), but it wasn't me. Grew it out, been long since. Through college it was VERY long -- would decide I needed a trim when I started sitting on it. Trim was to waistline. When I turned professional, started getting it cut shorter (bottom of shoulder blades) and using various products on it. (Shinier, whatnot.) Got a perfectly awful cut about a year ago (?) when it suddenly started really bothering me and I decided I needed a cut posthaste, no time for appointments, went to Cost Cutters (or someplace similar), and some idjit did the classic "oops... better straighten that out... oops..." thing, and it ended up about 8 inches shorter than planned. But still past shoulders, and now almost waist length again, though it's almost always in a ponytail these days.

Hubby's good about being appreciative when I get a cut (even the Cost Cutters one), otherwise just registers general approval. He did really like the expensive cuts I got in L.A., though. One was a layered dealie that was actually pretty cool.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 10:58 am
I've had long hair for ten years - all one length to the middle/lower part of my back. Last year I had it cut up to just the tops of my shoulders. I thought he'd hate it because he likes long hair and it's the only way he's ever seen it. But he loved it - just looked at me and said "Wow! It's like having a new girlfriend!" Not sure how I was suppose to take that...... :wink:

So, I've kept it like that for a year, but it grows out every now and again. It's easier because it has a bit more style, but I still like the feel of my hair when it's longer. He's been on me to dye it because I'm getting grays. This is coming from a man who shaves his head to avoid the whole balding/graying look. Nope. Not doing it. Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 11:39 am
Aren't men strange? I started to bleach my hair back to its original blonde when I was in my twenties and it had started to go darker. In my thirties, I decided to let it grow out to the dark, ash blonde it had become and my husband wanted me to bleach it again. He hates change of any sort.

He does speak up once in a while, like when I'm all dolled up, which is nice and which is all I'm going to get anyway, so I enjoy it when it happens.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:10 pm
Long, and dyed (Clairol Nice 'n Easy #105) - and it's been that way for pretty much the entire time we've known each other (14 years today! :-D). Well, it's always been long. I've gone through a few different colors, mainly variations of blonde or reddish blonde. The current version is called "Dark golden blonde" which means it's kind of a medium blonde with reddish highlights but not overwhelmingly red.

It's pretty much always in a ponytail because that's less fuss.

Oh, and hubby cuts my hair. I also cut his. Don't know if this is good or bad, fashion-wise, but it's quick and cheap.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:25 pm
Mine is shoulder length - light brown/reddish tints. Since it was sweltering here in Boston for the summer I wore it tied up off my neck the entire season and when it finally cooled down and I left my hair down I was shocked to find how long it had grown. I previously had a bob to my chin. Bf likes it a lot this way I have to say. He's become a frisky little devil lately so I'm not complaining. However, if the mood took me I would chop it off and not give him a second thought but shorter hair requires so much maintenance. Currently I wash, condition and blow-dry in five minutes (my hair is very fine). Any idiot with a scissors can trim it for me and I don't even notice I need a trim until I feel like a bit of pampering.

As for him, I like a man with a completely shaven head. Alas he has a full head of hair and refuses to take my request seriously.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:37 pm
My hair is very, very straight and long. When I get a haircut nobody but my husband usually notices it. Does he have preferences? I don't know! He makes me feel like he thinks everything looks great on my head. And that's good enough for me.

When we got married, he had very long hair and mostly wore it in a pony tail. I loved it and said it would be a reason for divorce if he ever got it cut. Well, he got a new job and a new haircut. In the last six years it's been from long to very short to longer and now back to short. And he looks good no matter how short or long his hair is :-)
0 Replies