Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 04:18 am
Why learning English is important for all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 682 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 04:33 am
Generally speaking, it is the language of international commerce.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 05:20 am
@ballusmith,
ballusmith wrote:

Why learning English is important for all?

Not for all, in my opinion. Only for those that want to function at some level outside of a non-English speaking arena. I do not care if someone doesn't speak English; only if they believe they can interact with me without English, do I care.

I also believe that speaking English may come with a loosening of one's original non-English speaking culture, so speaking English might mean that a person wonders why they may be less polite when speaking English, or may be less caring when speaking English.

And, for some English speakers, the sound of some foreign languages is a turn-off. So, if a tourist to the U.S. speaks a broken English, with a foreign accent, many more Americans, in my opinion, will be open to give directions, etc. It is hard to communicate with someone in pantomine.

Also, it is possible that at some future time, English might become the Esperanto of the world? Perhaps, it has already become that? Shhhh, don't tell anyone; some countries might become upset.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 03:53 am
So basically this is a spam thread, with you doing both the call and the response. I'm reporting this piece of ****.
Foofie

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 07:15 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

So basically this is a spam thread, with you doing both the call and the response. I'm reporting this piece of ****.

My post, in my opinion, was quite scholarly.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 11:29 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I'm reporting this piece of ****.

Reminds me of a description I once read of George Will, paraphrased of course.

He looks like the kinda guy the teacher would invariably pick when she left the room to tell on his fellow students and he, of course, always did.
0 Replies