Boyfriend (41) keeps adding female friends on facebook

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 02:16 am
I'm 30 and my boyfriend's 41 (supposedly old enough to be mature).

What brings me here is not knowing if I'm right or if I'm being insanely paranoid and jealous - which I must admit I am a bit, even if I try not to show it - so here goes:

When I met my boyfriend, he was still married and had like over 1000 friends on facebook, including LOTS of random/slutty girls and would leave provocative comments on their pics (ego boost, I find it so sad in a grown up man). He was always flirting with these girls for everyone to see (comments page), I remember thinking "this guy's a womaniser" but didn't think much about it - he was only someone I knew. Meanwhile, he got divorced and we got closer - we fell in love and he made me the center of his world, but this kind of behaviour was always in the back of my mind: I always fear he'll go back to his old ways once I stop being "new" to him (we've been together 1 year three months). Ok, maybe he once did that because he was unsatisfied, maybe he's not like that anymore, or maybe people never change, or maybe I'm just being plain paranoid.

Without me having to ask for it, he then gave me his e-mail password (which then changed cause I asked him too, I don't think I should have his password) and he started deleting facebook friends until he was left with a little over 150 friends, which I knew were friends and family. For a year it remained like this, but lately he's beed adding a lot of people, like 20 a day - some of them had been on this facebook before, he deleted them now is adding again. He's adding most of them, because the requests are accepted when he's not online, so I know it was him who made the request. It seems to me that he knows the women he's adding, because I see they're friends in common with his brother, with other friends and most of them are from his home town - some are from where we live now, I don't know who they are, but from past comments he left on their profiles before he deleted them I can see they're familiar to him (note: normal comments, non provocative ones - since we're together I never saw something that would seem unapropriate). Some are fat and ugly, other are beautiful...he also adds men, but my paranoid side (?) thinks he's going back to his old ways and that the fact that some are men and some are ugly old women are just a way to make any possible dirty intention remain unoticed, to make everything seem inocent and normal. At the same time, I don't think he'd put that much thought into it, I don't think he'd be so manipulative to this point at all.

I realise how stupid this sounds, this is just facebook and it's all about trust issues and ghosts from the past...I don't believe in controling anyone - whatever will be, will be - but last week I confronted him and asked why he's adding all this people (including women) when he'd made the choice to detelte them before, asked why was he doing that and insinuated he was going back to his old ways. He said his old ways were dead and kind of laughed of what I said (but he'd go nuts if he was on my shoes), he said they were all friends or people he knew and cared about, and just wanted to have them in his contact list (which keeps growing like 10 new adds/day).

So, the fact that he keeps doing this even after I said it bothered me could mean one of two things: he's innocent and hasn't put much thought into it or he just doesn't care about me. However, he's always so attentive, so caring, sends me e-mails with songs almost every day, calls me whenever possible...that almost makes me feel stupid for being jealous, but I am. He hasn't been faithful in the past with his ex-wife and although I know I must live in the present, it's not easy to let go of what I know. Am I being paranoid, or once a cheater, always a cheater? How should I deal with this?

Your insights on this please?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 22,202 • Replies: 8
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 05:50 am
Unless you have more proof, why don't you take his word for it that he's just building up his friends list?

You seem really insecure about this relationship. What ELSE do you have to make you feel like this?

If there's nothing else, then move back and let the man be. He will show his true colors in time, but I really don't think you have much to go on.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 10:07 am
@Christie9,
What, exactly, is he doing that's affecting your relationship?
Christie9

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 12:29 pm
@DrewDad,
Nothing. I just get insecure because in the past he used to add and flirt with all these girls. He was unfaithful to his ex-wife more than once during the 15 years their wedding lasted. Ok, their relationship was a completely different thing (not that being unhappy serves as an excuse to cheat), but I really do fear that once a cheater, always a cheater. Maybe I should've thought about that before, but hey...I love him.
mark25624

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:14 pm
@Christie9,
There are people (in this case men) who are people collectors!
They love to brag about how many fb friends they have.
Also! Men do not know just how to flirt either!
There is good flirting where you can pump up the ego!
And the other type of flirting can and does send mixed signals!

It's hard to feel comfortable around someone who has a past in the case cheating.

Cheating can be used as a barometer to find/figure out what is missing in a relationship.

You should ask him!
"Who did you marry the pc, these women online, or me?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 01:33 pm
@Christie9,
Quote:
but I really do fear that once a cheater, always a cheater. Maybe I should've thought about that before, but hey...I love him.

Yes. Once a cheater, always a cheater.
Yes, you should have thought about that before.

You love him.

He will cheat on you.

Joe(get out now.)Nation
maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 03:29 pm
@Joe Nation,
I disagree with the cliche "once a cheater, always a cheater". People do have the ability to change.

But If I understand this post correctly, this person cheated with a man, and now is upset that he might be cheating with someone else. That strikes me as funny somehow.

Why don't people ever say "Once faithful, always faithful"?
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 04:35 pm
@Christie9,
He had those friends in the past. Before you and he flirted with those "friends" in the past before you and he cheated on his wife, more than once probably from those friends before you.

You knew all of this when you entered the relationship, there are always red flags it's whether or not we want to acknowledge them or ignore them before, we "fall in love"... And, for the most part a woman will if, she ignores, say " oh but we are different, he won't do it to me".

From the sounds of it, you have already showed him that you fear it's your turn.....and so, he gave you his password and deleted a whole bunch of people but now he has gone back to where he was before, and added them...

Probably because he missed what he was used to... Probably because he is a big flirt and can't help himself... Is there temptation? Absolutely, it's in his blood, he's done it... Will he cheat again? More than likely.

What should you do? Make it known if he does, you are worth more and will find someone else who won't. Then let him be himself, if you start snooping and worrying, all the time, there is no relationship, it's filled with wonder and fear how can there be one.

Just know you are worth more, if he does it it doesn't matter, you deserve someone better and he will yet again, end up alone.... May learn one day what constitutes a relationship... You are 30, plenty of fish in the sea to love.
0 Replies

amy37

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 04:34 pm
@Christie9,
ohh, tricky. I can see both sides of the story once you've mentioned he cheated on his wife in the past. And weren't the two of you dating or flirting when he was still married? So yeah, i'd be sceptical of his behavior.

I'd be worried.
0 Replies