and pronounced as /ənd/ here? Or /ænd/?

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 10:16 pm

Context:
...see the advances in science and technology as dangerous and untrustworthy.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
laughoutlood

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 10:36 pm
@oristarA,
ænd

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/and
oristarA

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 10:48 pm
@laughoutlood,

Thanks.
When it will be read as /ənd/?
laughoutlood

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 11:06 pm
@oristarA,
I can't do all your errands.
oristarA

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 11:20 pm
@laughoutlood,
laughoutlood wrote:

I can't do all your errands.

Well, you relax.

Would some one like to tell me whether the and below read as /ənd/ or /ænd/?

Context:
and applying that to the alleviation of suffering and the betterment of humankind?
Ceili

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 11:43 pm
@oristarA,
I don't know phonetics, but I believe laughoutloud does. Your sentence doesn't make sense. And sounds like band, hand, stand, the same a sound as in apple. The sound doesn't change from sentence to sentence, the sound remains the same.
roger

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 11:50 pm
@oristarA,
Believe me, if I knew if ænd sounds like and, I would tell you. Honestly, I've never seen it before.
0 Replies

Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 12:01 am
@Ceili,
Ori, you have to understand that the various accents in the English speaking word are often based on vowels. Where I might hold a vowel, or soften it, another might make it a hard. While I may pronounce a word as the dictionary describes, someone from another area may not. Take the word alumin(i)um. I would pronounce it as al-oo-min-um, while my cousins in the UK would say, al-yoo-min-ee-um.
So, while I might say and like band, some people out there might pronounce it otherwise. Again, they wouldn't vary in the way they say it either.
contrex

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 10:55 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
while my cousins in the UK would say, al-yoo-min-ee-um.

Most of us would say "alla-min-yum" I think.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 12:53 pm
You might hear /ənd/ as a regular pronunciation of "and" in some British and American New England accents.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 09:48 pm
@contrex,
There are a ton of accents in the UK. Cross the road in some places and it changes.
When saying cousins, I actually meant blood relatives not a blanket statement of bi-national love.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 10:58 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Ori, you have to understand that the various accents in the English speaking word are often based on vowels. Where I might hold a vowel, or soften it, another might make it a hard. While I may pronounce a word as the dictionary describes, someone from another area may not. Take the word alumin(i)um. I would pronounce it as al-oo-min-um, while my cousins in the UK would say, al-yoo-min-ee-um.
So, while I might say and like band, some people out there might pronounce it otherwise. Again, they wouldn't vary in the way they say it either.

It gives me the impression that there is no such thing as a Standard English Pronunciation, which lays the very foundation of phonetics for ESL students (Otherwise, they will be exhausted and lost).
roger

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 11:07 pm
@oristarA,
I think you're on to something, here. There may be rules, but with so many exceptions, you almost have to learn each word. Go with the rules when that's all you've got to work with.

The day in the middle of the work week is Wednesday. I suppose someone, somewhere has actually tried to pronounce the letter d in it. I cannot imagine how it sounded.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 11:17 pm
There ISN'T a Standard English pronunciation. There are a bunch. In America, normal midwestern English would be about the closest--that's like what most broadcasters, actors, and such are expected to speak, for the most part. But we have dozens of regional accents. Britain does too, tho maybe BBC-speak would be considered a standard. Maybe Monty Python-speak would be sort of a standard, when they weren't doing accents.

I'd say most people in general conversation, when they aren't paying particular attention to their speech, would usually elide "and" to just 'n', a little more attention might get
"(schwa)nd" and if you were going to emphasize it you'd get "aend" (I don't remember how to get to the phonetic symbols keyboard). You probably (wouldn't stand out particularly if you used any of the three. (I'm using 'n' as sort of very-weak-schwa-n, NOT pronounced like the letter n).
Ceili

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 11:51 pm
@oristarA,
Ori, you will always have an accent. Always. I have one. Everyone does. Some are just harder to pinpoint.
There are certain sounds that are difficult for people mimic. Chinese seem to struggle with L, Italians with TH like with or bath, Hungarian and Danes pronounce W as V.
The kids I went to school with all had canadian tinged accents when they spoke their parents language. When my fully fluent daughter went to France and Quebec, they knew she was from away.
Phonetics are a guideline, that's it.
oristarA

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:34 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

There ISN'T a Standard English pronunciation. There are a bunch. In America, normal midwestern English would be about the closest--that's like what most broadcasters, actors, and such are expected to speak, for the most part. But we have dozens of regional accents. Britain does too, tho maybe BBC-speak would be considered a standard. Maybe Monty Python-speak would be sort of a standard, when they weren't doing accents.

I'd say most people in general conversation, when they aren't paying particular attention to their speech, would usually elide "and" to just 'n', a little more attention might get
"(schwa)nd" and if you were going to emphasize it you'd get "aend" (I don't remember how to get to the phonetic symbols keyboard). You probably (wouldn't stand out particularly if you used any of the three. (I'm using 'n' as sort of very-weak-schwa-n, NOT pronounced like the letter n).

Cool!
I wonder how many people in English speaking world appreciate Cockney (the nonstandard dialect of natives of the east end of London)?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:37 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Ori, you will always have an accent. Always. I have one. Everyone does. Some are just harder to pinpoint.
There are certain sounds that are difficult for people mimic. Chinese seem to struggle with L, Italians with TH like with or bath, Hungarian and Danes pronounce W as V.
The kids I went to school with all had canadian tinged accents when they spoke their parents language. When my fully fluent daughter went to France and Quebec, they knew she was from away.
Phonetics are a guideline, that's it.

Are there statistical data showing some accent is most welcomed?
For example:
Most sweet: BBC-speak?
Most awesome: ?
roger

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:39 am
@oristarA,
The basic American accent is what is used in Omaha, Nebraska.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:48 am
That's because Nebraskans speak a lot like Michiganders.
roger

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:52 am
@MontereyJack,
Who learned in Omaha.

That is why so many call centers are located in Omaha. Of course, yielding to EEOC policies, you end up talking to refugees from Bangalor anyway.
0 Replies