"mission-critical" and "critical mission"

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 08:24 am
As companies transfer more mission-critical operations to computers, the additional processes require more powerful server systems. As a result, two concepts for staying on top of required resources have evolved: scale-up and scale-out.
What is difference between "mission-critical" and "critical mission"? Is the difference just the former is an adjective while the latter is a "compound noun"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 632 • Replies: 3
No top replies

tideman76

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:21 am
The way I understand the difference is the following.

mission-critical : important to the success of the mission

critical mission: important mission

Restated, mission-critical are items, procedures, etc. that make up the mission. Critical mission is the larger more enveloping word to describe the mission as a whole.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 10:41 am
Pretty good explanation, tideman. The way I interperate the two is "Mission Critical" refers to components vital to the execution of the mission, components without which the mission cannot be accomplished. "Critical Mission" I take to mean a mission vital to the overall success of a given enterprise, and any critical mission likely will have mission-critical components.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:58 pm
Both explanations were pretty good, making the question as clear as crystal. Very Happy
0 Replies