The strangest food you have ever eaten

Setanta

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:59 pm
What yer sayin', then, Boss, is don't use the insult "eat me" when in Borneo or Sarawak, huh?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:01 pm
I don't know about Sarawak, because I have Canadian friends living there. He's a petrophysicist with that Malaysian oiil company that owns the tallest buildings in the world in Kuala Lumpur. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:06 pm
Sulawesi, I believe this was the local that one of the Kennedy's got ate back in the early 70's.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:07 pm
hmmm . . . Irish stew . . . hmmmm . . .
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:09 pm
With a guinness and irish whiskey chaser!
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:09 pm
ROFLMAO . . .
0 Replies

Heeven

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:46 pm
"tastes like chicken" will be replaced by "tastes like children".
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 05:05 pm
Gees, looks like Heeven just had a Kennedy! thigh or forearm?
0 Replies

Vincent

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 07:18 pm
Since we've happily skipped on to cannibalism, I guess my prairie, or mountain , oysters may be too tame to be of interest. But for those of you who asked, and for eoe in particular, let me be absolutely clear that I am talking about testicles and not raw egg. As I said in my post, the kind I can get most readily are from sheep. My butcher will slice and peel them for me if I ask, but it is so easy to do that I generally take them home whole and prepare them myself.

Once peeled, sliced and washed, I usually just bread them (flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs) and fry them. Sometimes I make smaller slices, fry them, then place them on slices of bread, maybe topped with cheese, or on a bed of tomato sauce. A few seconds under the broiler and you have crostini that everyone loves but that leaves people puzzled.

The breaded, fried medallions are great with just a squeeze of lemon, or on a bed of mixed greens and vinaigrette.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 07:56 pm
Ummmmmm, sounds absolutely disgusting to me. Actually, I've find rocky mountain oysters very appetizing, but don't care for the preparation directions!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 08:02 pm
Anybody getting squeamish yet? Wink LOL c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 08:27 pm
I ate the food (for a while anyway) of my second wife. Gag, choke, puke - yech! Hope that didn't turn anybody's stomachs too bad! Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
0 Replies

pueo

Wed 18 Dec, 2002 02:21 am
Lived alot of my life overseas. Ate all kinds of weird things. Lived through it all though. Very Happy
0 Replies

hebba

Wed 18 Dec, 2002 05:52 am
I ate a a steaming bowl of lambs intestines in Hong Kong washed down with a chilled Spanish beer.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Wed 18 Dec, 2002 08:12 am
I find that tripe si strange enough, and they love it here in Swabia... yuk! I tried once, 'coz when in Rome...

yea, Margo, they suckered ya into having one of the surstromming... probably the worst food in Scandinavia, never had it myself, though! You don't have to do like the roman, if you're a roman yerself, right?
0 Replies

Heeven

Wed 18 Dec, 2002 08:29 am
Watching the episode of Survivor where the family members had to eat disgusting things in order to spend the day with their loved one, I thought I would throw up at some of the items - there was a scorpion, a water roach, and a tarantula. Gross!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Wed 18 Dec, 2002 08:44 am
I wish Anthony bourdain was an a2k-member, he would have a few "goodies" for you... just finished reading his book "A cook's tour... ". Yup, he tried some stuff I wouldn't even touch with a computer-programmed ten-fot pole!
0 Replies

mac11

Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:40 am
I've tried lots of the stuff mentioned here: chocolate covered bees, alligator, dog (once, unwarned), and durian.

By the way, in Singapore, durian is readily available but is banned on the subways! Big signs at every station. It's got a terrible stench.

I try to eat raw oysters about once a decade, but just can't get them down happily...More for the rest of you, I guess.
0 Replies

hebba

Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:01 am
I would gladly eat your oysters mac.Chilled,with a bottle of good bubbly.Ummm umm.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:02 am
macsm, Raw oysters is the food of royalty! I love them, but have stayed away from eating them, because of all the warnings.
pueo, The question isn't whether you lived through eating all that stuff: Did you like any of it?
To all: I think I'll stay away from eating dog.

c.i.
0 Replies