The strangest food you have ever eaten

fishin

Mon 16 Dec, 2002 09:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
fishin, Goat and mushroom are good together! Wink c.i.

I probably wouldn't have minded it without the sauce. I think it was made with apricots but it was really thick and overly sweet. I'm usually not a big fan of sauces but when in Rome..

I'll try most anything once.
0 Replies

Vincent

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 08:57 am
Let's see. I have eaten everything in Jerry's post. I don't get alligator, but I do order chicken feet every time I go to dim sum. I like duck tongues too.

I have eaten porcupine in an African restaurant in Brussels. You could see where the quills were because they hadn't removed the hide. It was very tasty, a little game-like, reminded me of wild boar.

I love offal of all sorts, including kidneys, heart and brains. And it's always fun surprising friends with prairie oysters (I can get sheep ones very easily in my neighborhood).

Things I have not eaten but am curious about: unhatched chicks cooked in the shell; insects like chocolate covered ants and barbecued grasshoppers; earthworms (supposedly very rich in protein). I would jump at the opportunity to sample any of these things.
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 10:27 am
You mean besides Wee-Pak freeze-dried turkey tetrazinni? Nothin' that weird. Gator tail. Something completely unidentifiable at an Ethiopian restaurant in San Francisco which made me sick for three days (may or may not have been weird). But am reading attentively...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 10:34 am
Vincent, I've never eaten an alligator, but ate crocodile at a restaurant called the "Carnivores" in Nairobi, Kenya, last year. As for "prarie oysters," the Japanese use raw eggs with many dishes including sukiyaki. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

eoe

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 10:59 am
"What are prairie oysters?" I ask fearfully.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 11:02 am
eoe, Raw eggs. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 11:09 am
Somehow I expected prairie oysters to be more akin to Rocky Mountain oysters...
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 11:17 am
I think they ARE the same thing (the things that differentiate a bull from a steer, eoe...)
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 11:26 am
(sheep in the rockies, unless i be mistaken)
0 Replies

eoe

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 12:51 pm
Are we talking animal balls here?
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 12:56 pm
Yep. Also prized from the loser (so long as it's not the matador) after a bullfight in Spain.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 12:59 pm
Vincent wrote:

Quote:
Things I have not eaten but am curious about: unhatched chicks cooked in the shell

This is Philippino and called 'balut' or some such spelling.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 12:59 pm
Egads, man; when did the definition of "prarie oysters" change into "that" thing? c.i.
0 Replies

eoe

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:02 pm
Alright, so who'll confess to eating those?! Vincent?
Do you fry them or what?
0 Replies

jespah

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:02 pm
Hmm, nothing too strange -
cactus, quail, octopus. I think that's it.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:10 pm
I was once offered dog in Indonesia, I thought I could handle anything! Found my match. I was getting ready to say yes but my stomach started to roll and rumble. Said no, went to my office and sat until I could get it back together.

Everyone gets caught on meat. Tried durain once, a fruit. It is about the size and shape of a football (actually, more at rugby ball cause it is fatter). Covered in a hard, horny shell and is heavy. People have said to have been killed when they fell from the trees.

They are suppose to be the only fruit a tiger eats because, well, they smell like decomposed, rotting meat. I was told, if you get past the smell you will love the taste - no joke. Well, the flesh (pun intended) is custardy, rich in flavor and stays all day. I kept burping it up. And folks, it tasted like it smelled - yeck.

It is suppose to be an aphrodisiac, you can find them in any Asian store!

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~durian/img/durian.jpg
http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~durian/
0 Replies

margo

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:46 pm
In Sweden, a few years ago, I ate sustromming (or some similar spelling)

This is rotten fish, really - fomented. You can buy it in a can, and the sides bulge. Shocked You eat it with some sort of flat bread, and potatoes (?mandel potatoes). Where are bigdice and kajsa? It was washed down with copious beers.

I have to say that this was not one of the joys of travel. The stench is overwhelming, and stays with you. This was consumed on a day when I already had a killer hangover, and I think our host was looking for revenge. We had been pretty rowdy the night before. Cool Confused
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:52 pm
Wow. I heard Tom Brokaw say in an interview that he was offered fermented yak semen in Mongolia, but I think fermented fish might be worse.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:58 pm
I've heard of strange food stuff, but this forum is beginning to sound like something "foreign." Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Arrow Question Very Happy c.i.
0 Replies

Tommy

Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:17 pm
Dog - though I draw the line at the Cantonese preparation. Hang the dog on a bamboo frame and beat it to deatrh to tenderise the flesh.
0 Replies