Angelina Jolie's lips

sozobe

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 09:44 pm
http://www.inigo.com/images/xfiles/xf-118.jpg

Boobs. Legs. Close to "pin-up." Meant to be idealized, airbrushed, fantasy-type stuff.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 09:48 pm
funny, that. if i click your link above (not the very last one, but the chez.com one), i get an error - but if i copy / paste the address into the adress bar of a new window, it works. that happens more often, havent got a clue why.

on yer "cheesecake" experience, nothing like a google image search on someone relatively unknown you saw a beautiful picture of to make you realise that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder - or photographer, in this case. People can look absolutely gorgeous in one photographer's pictures, and absolutely bland in another's.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 09:52 pm
Yeah.

I was thinking less of individual pictures as her performance as Scully on the X-Files -- I definitely know people IRL (men and women) who I think are gorgeous in motion, but are pedestrian in still photos.

That happened to me too with the link. Not sure what's up with that. Oh well.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:06 pm
Soz, did I ever remark on your use of the word "Yeah"? <giggles>

You have this way, how shall I put it ... - and I never came across it before! - of using the single word "Yeah", full stop, end of sentence, new paragraph, that makes it appear loaded with, I dunno ... impatience, silent disapproval, slight annoyance, some variety of that, depending on context ... <grins>.

I mean, I dont see how it'd have any of those connotations here, but its something that really struck me before! Its really quite brilliant, especially on a board so filled with elaborate and quite explicit putdowns (and which webforum isnt) - to put across some negative vibe by the mere use of the word "yeah"! Very Happy

Its infectious, too - thats how I first remarked on it - when I found myself doing it, starting a post that would otherwise have betrayed my impatience quite starkly with:

Yeah.

And then the rest of my points ... Laughing

I'd have to use search to come up with examples and see if I've just been imagining it ... <grins>

ok, nighty nite people, its early morning here ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:09 pm
I did it here, for example ... ;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:10 pm
Is it all draped with negativity?! I didn't know!

Well maybe sometimes...

But not always!

I have all kinds of lexical ruts that I don't realize until called on them. "All kinds of" is one of 'em, realized it when sozlet started using it all the time. "That sort of thing" is another.

NO idea where these things come from.

(Oh, people have gotten mad at me for contagious capitalization, too. I just gotta EMPHASIZE some things, ya know?)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:14 pm
The reason the link think happens is because of hotlink protection.

The site examines the referrer for an image file and if it's coming from another site they send you to a 403 forbidden page.

Some go so far as to forbid calling up the image file in the browser as well but that one doesn't.

P.S. Always saw the "yeah" as a pause/filler/"well..."
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:15 pm
Me too, soz. Otherwise, how would they know EXACTLY what we mean? Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:16 pm
Thanks, Craven. Another mystery solved. Ah. (I like solved mysteries.)

Eva, EXACTLY! ;-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:20 pm
Oh I aint mad, I thought it was pretty brilliant actually <smiles>.

In fact when there was this thread up, recently, where you had to say what you liked about the person who posted above you (very cute thread, pity it died), I was all like, oh I know what to post about Soz if she shows up! I can say, "the most effective use of the word "yeah" I've yet encountered" <big grin>.

But - gotta add - all the time Ive also calculated in that maybe it just might all be in my imagination ... and its not something thats exactly easily found back with the search engine here! ;-)

(ok, nuff with the emoticons already ; - )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:21 pm
The Yeah is more a pausy thing, you're right, Craven. In my own mind. It's like, general agreement, think for a sec, then add further comment.

I think I use "hmmm" if I'm more towards disagreeing.

(Now I'm all curious, I'll see how I use it -- almost all of my writing on here is fast and off-the-cuff, don't put much thought into word choice.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:25 pm
Omigod I had no idea I said "Yeah" so much. But a quick search turns up at least one that meant exactly what nimh thought it meant.

Who knew.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:28 pm
sozobe wrote:
The Yeah is more a pausy thing, you're right, Craven. In my own mind. It's like, general agreement, think for a sec, then add further comment.

yeh, pause too i guess. but les just say that ive gotten used to expecting that, if you start a post with yeah-full stop-new<p>, you're not likely to be going to agree with what the last poster said, in any case!

fcourse, we'll never know if i was projecting ... cause i might just have succeeded in making you self-conscious enough about it to never be using it again without stopping to think about it ... sorry bout that Embarrassed
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:30 pm
oh-oh i'm on a delay in this conversation here, it seems <giggles>

but hey, cool to hear that i wasnt entirely imagining it - i gratefully take the evidence that i'm not actually going crazy where i can! <grin>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:36 pm
This is funny! :-)

I'll be self-conscious for sure, but if I'm in enough of a hurry, as I perpetually am these days, maybe I'll forget.

Meanwhile, back to those enormous toe-suckers (ahem) of Angelina's... (I had an employee who was totally I mean totally infatuated with her, had pictures of her all over her desk, talked about her all the damn time, and I got sick of Angelina quick. Though I still think Lucy Lawless is kinda cool -- employee's other crush.)
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 11:03 pm
nimh wrote:
Its just all wrong. Couture or not, it looks cheap, garish. The kind of thing someone who hasnt traditionally had a lot of money would buy if she suddenly became rich. What snobs would call, in dutch, "ordinair" (which my dictionary (badly) translates as "common" or "vulgar". As in, wearing obvious gold is ordinair. Wearing clothing with visible brand names is ordinair. Gucci is kinda ordinair.)

Anyway. Its just way too much "in your face", and is that something silver she has on underneath that? Combining silver and gold in layers over each other, thats just wrong. And then there's this whole faux-corporate thing about it, like, using what I assume is intended as a sensual, soft material, but then forcing it into some semi-business suit cut, probably out of compensation ... very eighties, somehow, and not the kind thats making such a comeback now. Like, "Miami Vice". I dunno. It makes me think of my aunt from The Hague, who would put something like that on, once a year, if she went to some fancy do. Ouch.

(Hehhehheh. Channeling my inner doorbitch ... :wink: )

I think it's all about context. Sometimes people like to do things that are deliberately flash to draw attention to themselves or a special occasion. Clothing can be important as a social marker. It would look silly if she was wearing these clothes out on the street, but to a fancy photo shoot I think they are totally appropriate. I mean, her title does have "queen" in it, after all.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:04 am
I swear there are ladies here that can go toe to toe with most of the ladies we posted here!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:09 am
Husker, you're not going to get any scantily clad Able2Knowers on here, although that was a nice try.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 04:15 pm
I don't think scantily clad is necessary !
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:17 pm
i don't think scantily clad & a2k match very well.
0 Replies