Making mommy prettier: A plastic surgery prep for kids

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:04 pm
http://ndn.newsweek.com/media/55/plasticsurg_SLAH-edit3.jpg

This is a book designed for children of women who are undergoing plastic surgery. Or who are about to. It freaks me out.

The Doc who wrote it wanted to be able to help families prepare kids for the post-op condition that their mom would be in. It still freaks me out.

It's not a book for general consumption, buuuut, still.

Newsweek

Some responses from readers of the Atlanta Journal Constitution here: AJC

While I am certainly all for preparing kids in a meaningful way before any surgery, this book (from what I've read) is not doing a very good job of it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,782 • Replies: 33
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:08 pm
What next?

Hm, mostly mothers who have young children are not that old to begin
with. Granted that women have children later and later, but the majority
is probably around 30 to 35. What life altering plastic surgery is there
that the kids would not recognize Mommy anymore?

Do small children, who are obviously the target group of this book, really notice if Mommy's cup size went from AA to DD?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:10 pm
The notice comes in, the Doc reasons, when the mom comes home with bandages on her face, black eyes and can't lift a gallon of milk for a few weeks.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:14 pm
This is just an example of somebody writing a book on a controversial subject merely to generate income.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:43 pm
Obviously it is for monetary reasons written.

littlek, yes then Mommy needs a stranger to tell her how to tell the
bruises and bandages to her kid. That's quite ridiculous in itself.

Does the book also have answers to the probable question of the kid:
"Mommy why aren't you happy with the way you look?"
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:48 pm
CJ wrote:

You miss my point. (I think) What I'm saying is the author is probably not that talented and incapable of writing a basic novel, so he must rely on some gimmick to create interest. He figured the public would be outraged by such a book (and they are, judging by this thread) and he could make a few dollars by exploiting such predictable reactions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:49 pm
And THAT is the point, CJ. I once had a friend who stopped wearing makeup daily because she thought that question out to the end and couldn't come up with a good reason to give her daughter.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:49 pm
The author is a plastic surgeon, I'm guessing he makes enough money at that.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:51 pm
But he is not an author. Maybe he wants to be.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:52 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
CJ wrote:

You miss my point. (I think) What I'm saying is the author is probably not that talented and incapable of writing a basic novel, so he must rely on some gimmick to create interest. He figured the public would be outraged by such a book (and they are, judging by this thread) and he could make a few dollars by exploiting such predictable reactions.

The author is a plastic surgeon, gustav. He might not be talented in
either subject - writing or surgery. I agree though, he's exploiting the
predictable reactions.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:53 pm
littlek wrote:
The author is a plastic surgeon, I'm guessing he makes enough money at that.

Obviously not, because he has created a circular sales tool...

RH
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:57 pm
Blimey.

Without reading the book I couldn't really comment.

But when I think of it, it seems a VERY good idea to have a book which prepares kids for such major surgery on their mothers, and for a possibly rather different looking mother. If mum had a nose/chin/eye job, for example, that could be quite a shocking change in appearance for a little kid.

Little kids DO notice boobs a lot....but would likely accept it as just part of life if they grew or got smaller!

I find the cover kind of yuck....but I guess it is congruent with how the mothers would be seeing it.

I can see it as promoting the idea that plastic = prettier, but there's a whole culture busy doing that, so I don't know that the book would have that much impact re that if you're already living with a mother who's had plastic surgery.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:58 pm
I'll bet a publishing house paid the surgeon to lend his name to the book.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:00 pm
GAG!

I was acquainted with a woman who was addicted to plastic surgery. She was in her early 30s and more beautiful that the majority of women to start with. She had her boobs done, the her eyes done, then her stomach done, then her knees done, then her thights done and then she left her husband, who was my friend, for a younger man so I don't know what she's done since.

It's crazy and sick. Total Micheal Jackson sickieness.

Most kids think their mom is beautiful.

This kind of thing makes me sad. The illustration on the cover makes me especially sad.

Really, why couldn't he have written "My mom, the Iraqi war veteran, has her head reconstructed"?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:05 pm
boomerang wrote:

That is so true!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:08 pm
The means doesn't seem to justify the end here. If I see the book in a store I'll read it. But, hopefully I won't see it for sale in a book store.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:09 pm
There was an article a few months ago in Vanity Fair magazine about a woman who started getting addicted to plastic surgery. At one point she has a butt liposuction. A while after the surgery she is lying on a chaise by a hotel pool when a boy of about 9 comes up to her and says: "Did you have you butt made smaller? My mom says any woman with those two little dots has had her butt made smaller. My mom has those dots." He was taking about where they do the incision for the lipo., it leaves small, dimple like scars. Children know so much more nowadays - it's scary.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:14 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
boomerang wrote:

That is so true!!

That may well be, but this book is addressing (whether well or not) a situation where a mother has decided to have major surgery, and is changing how she looks.

I am quandarising.....I'd be much happier with something like "Mummy is changing how she looks" or some damn thing, because I am uncomfortable with the pretty stuff too.

But.......as I said before, I suspect the way this book is framed, it is more congruent with what the kid is being told at home anyway.

I mean, I'd NEVER use it with a kid, it makes me wanna upchuck, but, as we all know, I'm a liberal elitist, so what would I know!!!

It also clearly doesn't cover non-cosmetic plastic surgery, but that's a different kettle of fish.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:26 pm
I know where you're coming from dlowan.

Lately I've noticed a new woman across the street. Today Mo was talking to her so I went out. It wasn't a new woman, lit was my old neighbor with a new haircut. I said "I didn't even recognize you" and she said "Neither do my kids".

I can't wear my hair in a ponytail (which makes me crazy on windy days) because I look so much like mOther. The truth is I do look kind of like Mo's other mother. When I pull my hair into a pony he wants to pretend that I am her.

Kids take note of even minor physical changes so I imagine that this type of book does have a place. I just wish it wasn't go fixed on "glamour".
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:39 pm
Sorry, I am not buying it - I mean the arguments for the book Smile

I realize there are all kinds of "How to...." books out there, but who
can explain it better than Mommy when she's having plastic surgery
done?

We slowly become a society where for every little poop there is a
book out there describing how to do it "the right way". There is a
warning label on just about everything you buy and God forbid if
we have to make a decision of our own - the trauma can last a
lifetime.