Do you think whether the logic of the sentence can stand?

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 10:36 am
Why did I get a feeling that both "with properties only sentient beings can posses" and "while sentient beings are stripped of these properties" cannot be compatible?

Context:
In summary, the rhetoric of The Selfish Gene exactly reverses the real situation: through metaphor genes are endowed with properties only sentient beings can posses, such as selfishness, while sentient beings are stripped of these properties and called machines (robots).[3]

More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Selfish_Gene
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 891 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 11:01 am
@oristarA,
Yea Ori I get the same impression

Furthermore the sentence seems to contain other glitches. For instance, isn't "through" supposed to be "though"

….and tho I'm no linguist, isn't there something wrong with how the sentence is constructed; maybe the "while" doesn't belong

Finally, the ending seems contradictory since robots aren't considered sentient

Are they
0 Replies

Doubtful

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 11:24 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
In summary, the rhetoric of The Selfish Gene exactly reverses the real situation: through metaphor genes are endowed with properties only sentient beings can posses, such as selfishness, while sentient beings are stripped of these properties and called machines (robots).[3]

I think "through" is correct, but there should be a comma there, after metaphor.

Through (the use of) metaphor, genes are endowed with properties only sentient beings can posses, such as selfishness; and again through the use of metaphor, sentient beings are stripped of these properties and called machines (robots).[3]

Like when you figuratively call someone a machine because s/he is methodical, tireless, or consistently productive (Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary).
dalehileman

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 11:35 am
@Doubtful,
Quote:
I think "through" is correct, but there should be a comma there, after metaphor.
Good one, Df, don't know how it escaped me. Getting old I guess
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 08:20 pm
@Doubtful,
Doubtful wrote:

Quote:

Through (the use of) metaphor, genes are endowed with properties only sentient beings can posses, such as selfishness; and again through the use of metaphor, sentient beings are stripped of these properties and called machines (robots).[3]

Like when you figuratively call someone a machine because s/he is methodical, tireless, or consistently productive (Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary).

Rather cool.
Have you read the full context in the link in the OP?
Doubtful

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 07:13 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Rather cool.
Have you read the full context in the link in the OP?

Not the whole thing, just the couple sentences that came before the one you asked about.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 07:27 am
It looks acceptable to me as written. It is pointing out the contradiction in the way the metaphor is structured.

As for the comma, British English is more sparing with commas after transitions and with inverted sentence structure. Slight variation in convention, is all. I'd prefer to see the comma there, but that's because I'm an American English native speaker.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 10:10 am
@FBM,
Quote:
I'd prefer to see the comma there
So would I FBM, but only because I supposed there must be such a thing as a metaphor gene

Besides the omission is inconsistent with the second usage. One would suppose in the convention requiring a comma between "possess" and "such" would call for one also between "metaphor" and "genes"
0 Replies