KaJe

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 02:21 pm
The usage of the word “also” isn’t clear for me. I’ve already noticed that it must generally be put before the word it regards to (i.e. just like sg else), except the case of the subject. Then “also” follows the subject. For e.g. “Peter also went in the house” means that not only Peter did so. But what to do if I would like to use auxiliaries? After reading many English texts, it seemed to me that then “also” must be inserted between the auxiliary and the real verb. For e.g. “Peter should also go in the house.” And it seemed to me that it is differently if the subject is a personal pronoun. For e.g. “He should also go in the house” doesn’t means that he should go in, and somebody else should go in, but that he should go in the house and somewhere else, for. e.g. in the stable. However, somebody, an American guy, told me that it is so also in the other case, saying that “the bag must also be yellow” means that here is another rule or condition about the bag. According to him, to say that the bag must be yellow, just like something else, one would say “the bag also must be yellow.” Is it really so? I write something and to be precise, one of my sentence is “the story of […] can also be said to be a very strange one,” meaning that I’ve already mentioned another strange story. I put the part “can also said to be a” into special search, and it didn’t helped me. See: “Language, furthermore, can be also said to be a form of human culture.” The word "furthermore" makes it clear that it is meant that language, just like other things can also said to be... It is so as I’d thought. But really, in another place, a holiday resort is praised with several attributes, and it is added that this place “can be also said to be a paradisal place.” I also tried “also can be said to a”, but it too was used in both ways. I don’t know if it was due to some bad usage. And if either the usage of “subject+aux.+also+verb” and “subj.+also+aux.+verb” doesn’t gives a chance to one to express sg in an unambiguous way, there is any kind of way to do so? With “too,” or “likewise,” or anything. But it should be a simple, and general way. Thank you for your attention.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 505 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Doubtful

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 03:01 pm
@KaJe,
My 2 cents; should be taken with a grain of salt.

It's very hard to follow what you are trying to ask. You should have broken that paragraph down into multiple paragraphs.

Try searching for "can also be said to be" - millions of results

“Language, furthermore, can also be said to be a form of human culture.”

Furthermore here means "in addition to everything that has been said before this sentence." I have read that in English, we should try not to separate the subject from the verb, so it would be better to start the sentence with "furthermore:"

"Furthermore, language can also be said to be a form of human culture."

"In addition to everything that has been said before, language can also be said to be a form of human culture."
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 04:11 pm
You must look at EACH sentence and see the word's FUNCTION before you can make a any decision about this or any other word. Here are some examples:

Also, pick up the clothes from the cleaners.

She also has blue eyes.

My car is also parked in that parking lot.

The car is also yellow.
0 Replies