Geography versus geographic

Ceili

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 09:35 pm
Doubtful you're thinking about this waaaaay to hard. A title doesn't have to be grammatically correct. It doesn't have to make sense or follow any rules. I read a couple of magazines. Vanity Fair - which has nothing to do with the traditional meaning other that there is some self promotion and the written word. Rolling Stone which has everything do with rock ('n'roll) but nothing to do with gathering moss. Penguin Eggs has nothing to do with birds, Antarctica or eggs.
National Geographic is a catchy title that conjures up the ideas of the world.
C'est tout.
roger

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 10:38 pm
@farmerman,
Swell.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:04 am
@Ceili,

Quote:
National Geographic is a catchy title that conjures up the ideas of the world.
C'est tout.

It is not ungrammatical to name The National Geographic Society thus, or their magazine the National Geographic.

No doubt there are many other similar titles: here's one:

http://www.rpsl.org.uk/home.asp
farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 04:49 am
@McTag,
WHle its not ungrammatical, Ive always admired the publications of the CALIFORNIA PRUNE ADVISORY BOARD.

Think of the reponsibility , to advise all those prunes about their career options .

ACtually, its more like the prune advisory board is trying to gently break it to all the dried plums out their that"hey, youre a prune--DEAL WITH IT"
0 Replies

Doubtful

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:16 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
here's a flash: who cares?!

Depends. Who cares about what? If it is about Setanta not answering my questions, I do, because I have numerous questions and he seems to know this stuff.
McTag

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:24 am
@Doubtful,

Don't jump to rash conclusions.

Wink
Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:28 am
@McTag,
And speaking of rashes, she told me it was only an allergy. Now I have a flea circus living in my house.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 07:54 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

It is not ungrammatical to name The National Geographic Society thus, or their magazine the National Geographic.

I didn't say it was or wasn't. My point was that it didn't have to be in order to be a title.
McTag

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 01:14 pm
@Ceili,

Okay fine; my post was not meant as a comment on your post, rather as a follow-on to the general discussion.
Sorry if it read that way.
0 Replies