Too Spot On Not To Share

Moment-in-Time

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 08:09 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:

I think you're on to something, Phyliss Shafaly has never been shot in the head either.

ROTFLMFAO! Magnificently stated. These offensive gun nuts are frightened souls....their politics, so outside mainstream America, that they're forever nervously placing barriers against sound reasoning logic.

My contempt for the bumbling illiterate Sarah Palin makes me almost ashamed to be an American except there are Sarah Palins in every country.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 08:30 am
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/CiscoKiDD/media%20bias/BillMaher_ass.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 10:45 am
@mysteryman,
In a word, yes.

If you were going to give your son a bass boat trailer that your dad used to own before he had the title transferred to you (otherwise you couldn't take it on the highway), you have to have the title transferred to your son. Don't you. Why do you think it should be any different for a firearm?

Of course both of you have to undergo a background check before the weapon can be bestowed upon the young lad, so society in general can be assured that neither of you have committed any previous crimes involving firearms nor is either of you under a restraining order or some other condition that might prevent you from being allowed to own such a weapon.

I could name you ten guys from Tulsa who had kids who shouldn't be in the county as any gun. All of them had spent time in juvi for everything from setting fires to crashing rocks through school windows. You want to give those idiots a gun?
Right now, even at 17, you can give that kid a gun if it's for "education, hunting or sport." So, presently, and in Oklahoma it's not likely to change, even if you yourself are under a restraining order, even if the brat stole two trucks and a car a year ago and is on probation, you can give him a gun if you don't believe he'll be a danger to society.

Joe(is that nuts? Yes. That's nuts)Nation
Baldimo

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 02:22 pm
@Joe Nation,
Transferring a title on a trailer or even a car doesn't require a background check. You sign the back of the paper and it's theirs. If a background check were required for motor vehicles then people with multiple drunk driving arrests wouldn't be able to purchase a car.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 07:35 am
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/529429_10151396457008717_154226203_n.jpg
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 03:04 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Transferring a title on a trailer or even a car doesn't require a background check. You sign the back of the paper and it's theirs. If a background check were required for motor vehicles then people with multiple drunk driving arrests wouldn't be able to purchase a car.

It doesn't prevent such a person from buying a car, however, getting insurance and getting it registered under the name of the felon would be difficult. Car tags can be stolen, and not everybody troubles with pesky traffic rules or getting a license. This happens because too many people think they can pick and choose the laws they follow.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 05:03 pm
@Baldimo,
You haven't bought many used cars, Baldimo, yes, as the seller all I have to do is sign the title (usually it's required that be done in the prescent of a Notary, but there are ways around that.)
The buyer must still show up at the local DMV to have the title put into their name. (It's at that point that DUI points and other considerations, like unpaid fines kick-in.)
I don't have to do any of that if you come up to me at the gun show and say "Wanna buy this _____?" We can go out to your truck, trade cash for the weapon and we are both in the clear.

Joe(You can then report the weapon stolen and collect the insurance.)Nation
Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 10:46 am
@Joe Nation,
What percentage of these types of sales take place? It isn't the 40% that the President has been taking about. Those are 20 year old #'s. Since that time many states have closed the "gun show loop hole" as it was called. How many gun shows have you been to? To sell a gun at a gun show in my state you have have a seller permit. If you have a sellers permit you have to do background checks. You make the problem of people buying guns out of the backs of cars at a gun show sound like an epidemic. If this was indeed a major problem then having stronger background checks isn't going to solve the issue. These people are not already doing background checks. Do you think the stricter checks are going to convince them?

I'm not going to disagree with you about background checks but I will disagree with you when it comes to registration. You think the govt should know what I have, but I don't think they should. They can know I own firearms but they don't need to know my inventory. I don't own anything illegal and I don't violate any of the current laws. You think we are the paranoid ones but I disagree. You think everyone who own's a gun is going to go crazy and kill someone. This is the definition of paranoia. Do I think the govt is going to take my guns? No I don't not because I think they want to, I know there are people out there working for the govt that would like nothing better then to take all guns. Politicians in Missouri tried to do just that. We all know they don't have a chance in hell of passing such laws but they are going to keep trying. They will use dishonest information (40% of guns sales happen without a background check) to changes the opinions of those who don't like guns. The tides can change and opinion can be swayed and in 10 or 20 years there could be a push to ban guns. If they have a registration now they can take them then. People do not hold on to cars like they hold onto guns. Guns are more likely to be heirlooms then cars. If they are not trying to take my guns from me, there is a good chance that they could try and take them from my grandchildren. I love my country but I don't trust my government.
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 10:55 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
You think the govt should know what I have, but I don't think they should.

Why not? If you own more than one automobile, you have to register them, and the government will know. If you own more than one boat, you have to register them and the government will know. If you own more than one house, or any other kind of building, the property for which is taxable, the government will know it. Why should guns be any different.?
Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 11:26 am
@Setanta,
The reason for property and materials registration is for tax purposes. The govt knows what you own property wise because they want their taxes. If they don't know who own's it they can't tax them. You only have to register operating vehicles. You can purchase a car stick it in your garage and not touch it for 30 years and the govt could car less.

The only tax on a gun (right now anyways) is when you purchase it. In most cases you don't have to pay a fee to own a gun. When it comes down to purchasing a weapon I would not do a private sale of a weapon unless I know the person I was buying it from. As a practice I only purchase from a gun store. No need to worry about the use of the gun by a previous owner. Most of my weapons were given to me by my father anyways so I know they are legal and clean.

If you want to conceal carry legally you have to usually take a class, show proof of such class to whoever does CC permits in your area, it is the sheriff of your county here in CO, go through a background check and pay a fee. If you are someone such as myself who can prove that they qualified with a pistol in the military this will count as your CC class and you only have to do the background check and pay fee. In both cases you register your CC with a single weapon. If you want to carry different weapons then you will need to register that weapon with the license as well. I don't know if there is a limit to the # of weapons as I do not have my CC.
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 11:39 am
@Baldimo,
I don't accept your premises. You can own a boat or an automobile without taking them out in public. You still have to register them, and there is a registration fee, but if there is no tax for the mere ownership. If you take them on a public thoroughfare or a public waterway, they have to be licensed, which is not the same as registered. The fees you pay for the license hardly constitute a tax, since you only pay those fees if you intend to use your automobile or boat on public property. Your argument in reply is specious.

Although you can park your car in the garage for 30 years, you still have to register your ownership.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 01:05 pm
I'm beginning to think there is someone here who also has not been shot in the head.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 02:09 pm
@glitterbag,
Does being shot in the head give someone a license to restrict the rights granted in the Constitution? If that is the case then I guess victims of drunk driving get to insist that all cars have breathalyzer units in them. Have to blow a test before you can start your car. How many more high school kids are killed a year in DD accidents? I'm betting more kids are killed in DD accidents then they are in shootings.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 03:17 pm
And now I'm sure of it!
Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 04:24 pm
@glitterbag,
I'll take it as a yes then that only those who have suffered from gun violence should have the ability to make gun laws. To bad in the real world it doesn't work that way. The Constitution is the law of the land. The SCOTUS have had several rulings in the last few years dealing with gun control. The rulings have not been in favor of the gun control people. It will be interesting to see how many of the states with new laws, mine included, that end up in the SCOTUS. Please don't confuse the majority of gun owners with your crazy ex.

Do you then agree with my drunk driving assessment? Should the victims of drunk driving create the laws for dealing with drinking?
glitterbag

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 07:00 pm
@Baldimo,
You're not much of an analyst. Just because I think your postings are ridiculous doesn't mean I agree or disagree with the ravings you post. You seem very angry, that's too bad. It clouds your judgement. Get some help.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 07:10 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

I don't have to do any of that if you come up to me at the gun show and say "Wanna buy this _____?" We can go out to your truck, trade cash for the weapon and we are both in the clear.

Maybe, but maybe not.

I can tell you that I and most other law abiding citizens that actually give a **** check the buyers ID and make some kind of record of the transaction for both parties just in case something comes up later on (Cell phone pictures of each others drivers licences are great ways to do this)... it's better to be safe than sorry, and yes - I have refused to sell to an individual and I've also refused to buy from an individual for various reasons - I just went with my gut feeling.

The application of common sense and free will is wonderful... liberals should try it.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 07:16 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

This happens because too many people think they can pick and choose the laws they follow.

That and the officials pick and choose what laws they want to enforce, just look at Chicago and it's gun violence.
When was the last time you read about gun law enforcement in that city?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 07:19 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm not angry. Those were not angry statements. I find it funny how you move the goal post though. I'm paraphrasing of course but you tried to make a point about whether I had fired a large weapon or not, when I had shown that I have fired quite a few large weapons you tried to move the post. "You haven't been shot in the head".

I have asked what makes you think the victims should set the law? Now I'm an angry person and it clouds my judgement? Your funny.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 07:43 pm
@Baldimo,
I don't recall mentioning anything about you and any type of weapon. I'm not trying to engage you, in fact, this thread isn't about you. But you are free to make up anything and ask me to refute it or embrace it......I'm not sure I have as much free time as you do. And frankly, you aren't that interesting. Don't waste your time, that's all we have in our lifetime.